[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Apr 24, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #2,041 of 2,559
Also I set the EQ to rap. Once it is ok when I take out the earphones from the case EQ is on and it is set to rap properly as I left those . On other occasions EQ is off. I have to log in the app and turn on manually and set it. So inconsistent.
I would not even try to set and use my own EQ profile until a related firmware upgrade realeased.
Dear friend,

Sorry about that. The engineer has got to know about this issue, and trying to fix it.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 26, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #2,043 of 2,559
My UTWS 5 is becoming a chore to use honestly. I'm still really happy with it when it works, but when it doesn't, man is it ever frustrating.
When I moved from UTWS 3 to 5 I expected the 5 to be the version FiiO finally starts ironing issues out. But no, there's now more than ever before.

-UTWS5 randomly connects to my phone, even while I'm actually connected to another device. UTWS5 just steals the connection to my phone (UTWS 3 did this too)

-multipoint does not work for me at all

-earhooks not charging properly still happens every so often, despite me cleaning contacts basically every time I put them in the case

-EQ gets lost, I thought it was only related to charging, but I have lost EQ many times now without charging inbetween

-and now, finally, i have been hit with the channel imbalance issue, which is by far the most annoying issue I've had so far. Don't know what fixed it, I tried like every setting in the app, individually turned the earhooks on and off, something did the trick but I don't know what it was.

-theres actually two types of channel imbalance I have experienced so far, this one not as severe at the one above; when something messes with the stability of the BT connection, one of the hooks will produce a clipping sound, and the channel balance will over the course of a couple seconds move to that earhooks slightly. It's somewhat slight and sometimes makes me wonder if it's actually an issue with the recording, but it's there for sure. Instead of 50/50 it sounds more like 35/65 or 40/60. Can be fixed simply by reconnecting to the earhooks, however I've noticed that sometimes this issue will just keep popping up over and over again shortly after reconnecting. Only fix to that seems to be the phase of the moon or something equally unrelated because how often it happens in a row has been completely random thus far

All in all I'm getting very frustrated. After having spent ~250€ in Bluetooth adapters at FiiO I'm beginning to wonder if i made the right choice. UTWS 5 is not cheap, which is fine, as long as it's at least stable. But it's not, i have constant issues, and it's spoiling the product for me slowly.
I'm definitely interested to see what ifi can offer with their upcoming earhooks, even if they end up costing like double that of UTWS5. Stability is my main concern right now and if it takes that much to get there, I'm going there

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #2,044 of 2,559
-theres actually two types of channel imbalance I have experienced so far, this one not as severe at the one above; when something messes with the stability of the BT connection, one of the hooks will produce a clipping sound, and the channel balance will over the course of a couple seconds move to that earhooks slightly. It's somewhat slight and sometimes makes me wonder if it's actually an issue with the recording, but it's there for sure. Instead of 50/50 it sounds more like 35/65 or 40/60. Can be fixed simply by reconnecting to the earhooks, however I've noticed that sometimes this issue will just keep popping up over and over again shortly after reconnecting. Only fix to that seems to be the phase of the moon or something equally unrelated because how often it happens in a row has been completely random thus far
It happens to me too. It's bt stability related, but I can't find the origin. Some days everything is fine, others it's a pain. I have to go to developers settings and change sampling rate and bitrate, as they get screwed up, over and over again. I have a xiaomi phone.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #2,045 of 2,559
My UTWS 5 is becoming a chore to use honestly. I'm still really happy with it when it works, but when it doesn't, man is it ever frustrating.
When I moved from UTWS 3 to 5 I expected the 5 to be the version FiiO finally starts ironing issues out. But no, there's now more than ever before.

-UTWS5 randomly connects to my phone, even while I'm actually connected to another device. UTWS5 just steals the connection to my phone (UTWS 3 did this too)

-earhooks not charging properly still happens every so often, despite me cleaning contacts basically every time I put them in the case

-EQ gets lost, I thought it was only related to charging, but I have lost EQ many times now without charging inbetween

-and now, finally, i have been hit with the channel imbalance issue, which is by far the most annoying issue I've had so far. Don't know what fixed it, I tried like every setting in the app, individually turned the earhooks on and off, something did the trick but I don't know what it was.

All in all I'm getting very frustrated. After having spent ~250€ in Bluetooth adapters at FiiO I'm beginning to wonder if i made the right choice. UTWS 5 is not cheap, which is fine, as long as it's at least stable. But it's not, i have constant issues, and it's spoiling the product for me slowly.
I'm definitely interested to see what ifi can offer with their upcoming earhooks, even if they end up costing like double that of UTWS5. Stability is my main concern right now and if it takes that much to get there, I'm going there
Dear friend,

Sorry about that. Please try to contact your seller for help first. If the seller fails to help, please contact us(support@fiio.com) again with the receipt attached.

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 27, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #2,046 of 2,559

I've also raised the EQ being lost issue with FiiO before but was told I was the problem...and their engineers could not reproduce the results. Interesting to hear that others have found the same issue in everyday use. The EQ issue, random dropouts, units not charging, and frustratingly horrible mobile app make it a tortuous experience in everyday life, especially if it is meant to be a mobile solution. I can recall countless times where I used to UTWS 5 in the office, put it back in the box for a meeting and end up struggling with a connection issue while trying to catch my train home. If it was working for me an hour ago in the office, it should work an hour later.

Unfortunately, it seems like FiiO has been preoccupied with changing their logo lately than putting out good products these days. I've put in an order for the ifi Go Pods and hope to be free from FiiO once and for all. They had the advantage with being the first ones to bring a very interesting TWS solution, but in typical chi-fi manner, have lost it due to poor customer service and even worse user experience. Granted, when it did work, they were great. Powerful enough amp for all IEMs, warm-ish tone and convenient. If the UTWS5 was a cheap product, then I can accept the "you get what you pay for" narrative...but at $200 CAD, I expected a better product overall.

I cannot wait to move on from this company.

TL/DR: If you are interested in the UTWS5, and have not yet committed to the "Buy" button, IMHO look elsewhere. Had this product since launch and it has been a disappointing experience all around for me.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #2,048 of 2,559
Oooh are there new TWS adapters out??
I know iFi is coming out with one but it looks to be very expensive 🤔
ifi Go Pods I think is the name. They seem to have a lot more power than UTWS 5, also they support basically every codec (also LDAC and LHDC, but also all of the aptx Stuff) so that would make choosing a phone much simpler next time around (traded my pixel 6 pro for a nothing ph1 when LHDC update came to UTWS 5 because I barely care for most features , camera included, aesthetics heavily excluded tho😅) and would also allow me to go back to flashing roms to my phone because every ROM has LDAC.
Price is steep tho, after their first 1000 Collab units, the standalone price is rumored to be around 400€/$. But they seem like a pretty great investment to power all current and future IEMs with ease, and I've heard ifi has a decent mobile app (feel free to correct me)?
Would be worth it to me, even if I'm gonna have a couple IEMs connected that are like an eighth of the price 😅

Smol Edit: i think the earhooks are replaceable as well, so I can finally move away from 2pin AliExpress adapters connected to mmcx UTWS 5 (and that stupid fidelity FX adapter for my IE300..) that cost me 40€ each :')

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #2,050 of 2,559
I've also raised the EQ being lost issue with FiiO before but was told I was the problem...and their engineers could not reproduce the results. Interesting to hear that others have found the same issue in everyday use. The EQ issue, random dropouts, units not charging, and frustratingly horrible mobile app make it a tortuous experience in everyday life, especially if it is meant to be a mobile solution. I can recall countless times where I used to UTWS 5 in the office, put it back in the box for a meeting and end up struggling with a connection issue while trying to catch my train home. If it was working for me an hour ago in the office, it should work an hour later.

Unfortunately, it seems like FiiO has been preoccupied with changing their logo lately than putting out good products these days. I've put in an order for the ifi Go Pods and hope to be free from FiiO once and for all. They had the advantage with being the first ones to bring a very interesting TWS solution, but in typical chi-fi manner, have lost it due to poor customer service and even worse user experience. Granted, when it did work, they were great. Powerful enough amp for all IEMs, warm-ish tone and convenient. If the UTWS5 was a cheap product, then I can accept the "you get what you pay for" narrative...but at $200 CAD, I expected a better product overall.

I cannot wait to move on from this company.

TL/DR: If you are interested in the UTWS5, and have not yet committed to the "Buy" button, IMHO look elsewhere. Had this product since launch and it has been a disappointing experience all around for me.
Dear friend,

We are sorry for bringing the incovenice to you.
For the problem with the EQ losing, the engineer could only reproduce the issue once and haven't find the regulation of this problem yet. So it is not easy for them to locate the solution for this issue. If you could find the regulation of this issue, please feel free to contact us.
For the problem with charging, please follow this FAQ to check again first:
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/472905.html
If the issue remains, you could try to contact the seller or support@fiio.com with the receipt attached.

Best regards

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #2,051 of 2,559
ifi Go Pods I think is the name. They seem to have a lot more power than UTWS 5, also they support basically every codec (also LDAC and LHDC, but also all of the aptx Stuff) so that would make choosing a phone much simpler next time around (traded my pixel 6 pro for a nothing ph1 when LHDC update came to UTWS 5 because I barely care for most features , camera included, aesthetics heavily excluded tho😅) and would also allow me to go back to flashing roms to my phone because every ROM has LDAC.
Price is steep tho, after their first 1000 Collab units, the standalone price is rumored to be around 400€/$. But they seem like a pretty great investment to power all current and future IEMs with ease, and I've heard ifi has a decent mobile app (feel free to correct me)?
Would be worth it to me, even if I'm gonna have a couple IEMs connected that are like an eighth of the price 😅

Smol Edit: i think the earhooks are replaceable as well, so I can finally move away from 2pin AliExpress adapters connected to mmcx UTWS 5 (and that stupid fidelity FX adapter for my IE300..) that cost me 40€ each :')
There is no app at Ifi currently. They are planning to release one, even opened a thread called crowd design for Ifi app.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #2,052 of 2,559

Yeah $400 is a tough sell for me personally... 😅
And actually I found out KZ has a new adapter the AZ15 that finally supports aptx so maybe I'll give that a go! 🤔

Apr 30, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #2,053 of 2,559

The £400 price tag will eventually be available but, IMHO, it is a very high price for what it is. … still, nothing compared to what, for now, is the £800 minimum price for a forced bundle. I think for those of us with IEM’s, like the FiiO FH9 or similar, the Go Pod is a bit of an overkill. I might consider the iFi offering when my UTWS5 dies and the price goes down a bit.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #2,054 of 2,559
I got mine last month and I've used them less than 10 times. Updated the software.
Yesterday I opened the box to show them to my wife, closed the box. After that it randomly started connecting to my laptop.
Repositioned them, hit disconnect and still from time to time kept connecting to my laptop (while closed)
The EQ I set it once and it reset, so haven't bothered to reconfigure it.
The audio quality is nice, can't notice a difference from the standard cable
The other features suck balls.
The ambience audio is so terrible. The call quality is so so terrible, people couldn't understand what I was saying.

TLDR: got them last month, audio quality is great, fit and comfort is like 3,5/5. All the other features suck balls, overall. Some features are glitchy like the EQ that keeps factory resetting itself, started to do the random connection to devices while in the box

May 8, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #2,055 of 2,559

And with your nothing phone - lhdc works with utws 5 without problems? I got realme phone thinking it supports lhdc but no it's not, no support. Max i get is aptx adaptive and that's all. For me utws5 with lhdc works only with xiaomi phones. With all other brands such as many oneplus, my gt2 pro from realme i can't turn lhdc to work. Which kills utws5 for me i should say. Other than that best sound on the go with iems i get with them, even compared to fw5. If fw5 someday will get ldac possibly it will be more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back