[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #1,546 of 2,559

Notification About Changes to FiiO’s True Wireless Bluetooth Amplifier UTWS5​

Since the release of the UTWS5, it has been widely acclaimed among users for its excellent sound quality and continuously optimized software. What's more, we listened to our users' suggestions to further improve the magnetic design and contacts of the UTWS5.

Here are two changes that occurred in the new editions.

1) One of the contacts on the ear hook was moved to the top by making use of phase magnets, which makes it more accurate to locate the position when putting the ear hook back in the charging case.

2) Added notches on two sides of the charging case with corresponding L and R unit markers to avoid scratches.

6188960.jpg

These changes were based on users' suggestions. Without affecting the performance and functions of the UTWS5, we refined its appearance design. Except for the above minor differences, the configuration, functions and performance of the old and new versions are the same. We hope the new edition can bring you a better user experience.

Best regards,

Guangzhou FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.
When did this start shipping? I have the old version and just bought it recently. Anyway I can exchange them?

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #1,547 of 2,559

Notification About Changes to FiiO’s True Wireless Bluetooth Amplifier UTWS5​

Since the release of the UTWS5, it has been widely acclaimed among users for its excellent sound quality and continuously optimized software. What's more, we listened to our users' suggestions to further improve the magnetic design and contacts of the UTWS5.

Here are two changes that occurred in the new editions.

1) One of the contacts on the ear hook was moved to the top by making use of phase magnets, which makes it more accurate to locate the position when putting the ear hook back in the charging case.

2) Added notches on two sides of the charging case with corresponding L and R unit markers to avoid scratches.

6188960.jpg

These changes were based on users' suggestions. Without affecting the performance and functions of the UTWS5, we refined its appearance design. Except for the above minor differences, the configuration, functions and performance of the old and new versions are the same. We hope the new edition can bring you a better user experience.

Best regards,

Guangzhou FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.
Today I made an order for UTWS5 in the official Fiio store on aliexpress, will I have a new edition?

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #1,549 of 2,559
Hi!
I am going nuts! I hope someone can help me!

My MMCX pair stopped connecting properly to my new HP Envy 17 laptop. Until a few hours ago it was working fine. Now, all it does it just connecting. I can see it is Connected in the Bluetooth & Devices, I can even hear the voice saying: connected. But I cannot hear anything. My laptop speakers are playing instead. The UTWS5 appears in the Device Manager but on the taskbar the only Audio Device that appears is my Realtek Speaker. I have paired and unpaired it many times, I have uninstalled it completely from the Device Manager. I have performed a factory reset a couple of times and cleared pairing in the App. Nothing works! In Bluetooth & Devices, it appears as Connected, which is wrong because it needs to say: Connected, Music, Voice or something like that.

The same MMCX pair works fine with my [Android] smartphone.
The same MMCX pair works fine with my older HP laptop.
The same MMCX pair worked fine for the few days I've got this new laptop. Now it stopped working! 😡

My other, 2-pin, pair connects fine and plays great with my new laptop.

Any ideas, what the... happened?!

@FiiO , @FiiO Willson ?

EDIT: After uninstalling the Bluetooth device from the Device Manager and rebooting, Intel Wireless Bluetooth re-installed automatically, and now it works again! 😊👍👌

Attachments

• laptop.png
    laptop.png
    239 KB · Views: 0
  • 111.png
    111.png
    386.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 222.png
    222.png
    345.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #1,550 of 2,559
Deleted

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #1,551 of 2,559
Hi there
I ve been using one for at least 100hs on an iPhone11
And as a rock /métal/HC « advanced listener » Im quite désappointed with the audio quality, whatever the IEM used (westone um20 w10 or w50)
It keeps the sound signature but just feeling compressed, less airy and dynamic than with std wires .
Especially on the w50 of course

But all the rest is just very good and no complain about it.

Si I il keep using it for everyday use (outside work) but wire the w50 for calm listening/environnement.

Maybe upgrading to a aptx HD phone could help..?
you can upgrade to LHCD codec supporting phone, i am planning to do myself and believe it will give much better clarity overall, much closer to the wire. As currently aptx not hd is a little too low for myself.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #1,552 of 2,559
Here's some information for all users using their phone and FiiO UTWS5:

aptX Adaptive vs. aptX HD

aptX adaptive is the newest codec and offers the exact same quality as aptX HD! Due to being the newer codec AptX Adaptive is more efficient than aptX HD and thus its maximum bitrate of 420kbit/s the equivalent to aptX HD's 576kbit/s. It is also more reliable.

Using aptX and UTWS5 with phones and devices:

Apple devices support SBC & AAC.

Androids support SBC & aptX. A few androids support even aptX adaptive.

UTWS5 supports SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX Adaptive.

Your iOS devices neither support aptx, aptx HD, nor aptX Adaptive, so most likely your iOS device is communicating through AAC (Apple's codec) with your UTWS5.
Androids at least have aptX.

What you can do is to get this aptX dongle that enables aptX Adaptive (and lower versions, like aptX HD ) and attach it to your phone/device:

HaiSenKeji.jpg

It works great, your devices are then capable of aptX Adaptive and from my experience i can tell you that the pairing is instantly and hassle-free compared to a mobile device's own pairing process. There is a thread in this forum about this dongle: Link

Tip: Don't buy the version from Amazon (the version with no aptX inscription on its black case)

As a USB-A (dongle) to USB-C (phone) adapter i used until now this:

old adapter.jpg

Now i have ordered this adapter and i am waiting for its arrival:
new adapter.png

example new adapter.jpg

You can also buy the more expensive but USB-C version of this dongle from Creative. Creative BT-W4:
creative_aptx adap.jpg

This way you can get the maximum from your UTWS5. AptX Adaptive is constantly being developed and currently there are newer aptX chips available with 800kbit/s, plus there is also the new aptX Lossless. The next generation of UTWS will probably offer close to a wired experience. Although the UTWS5 has its issues i think that it is by far the best option currently for using IEMs in an wireless environment.

I suggest this post is refereed to in the original post of this thread so that the widely spread misconceptions about the codecs, as well as the available solutions (enabling aptX Adaptive on your devices via an aptX dongle) are made available to current and future users of the UTWS5.

Attachments

• creative_usbc.jpg
    creative_usbc.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
  • example new adapter.png
    example new adapter.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 0
Aug 3, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #1,553 of 2,559
UTWS5_7hzTimeless.jpg

Current setup....had to throw this out there. Sounds incredible...still catches me off guard from time to time with it's musicality.

Tips are from Flare Audio, came with a Flares Audio Pro purchase. Unfortunately those IEMs died (too fragile, out of warranty & production), but the setup came with a huge assortment of tip choices, they are awesome. The highest $$$ IEM tips I've ever purchased. LOL.

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #1,554 of 2,559
UTWS5_7hzTimeless.jpg

Current setup....had to throw this out there. Sounds incredible...still catches me off guard from time to time with it's musicality.

Tips are from Flare Audio, came with a Flares Audio Pro purchase. Unfortunately those IEMs died (too fragile, out of warranty & production), but the setup came with a huge assortment of tip choices, they are awesome. The highest $$$ IEM tips I've ever purchased. LOL.
I have the same setup with Azla tips and it is stunning.

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #1,555 of 2,559
UTWS5_7hzTimeless.jpg

What do you mean the iems 1h timeless are out of production ? I still see them advertised on Amazon. Also linsoul has them available on pre order.

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #1,556 of 2,559
What do you mean the iems 1h timeless are out of production ? I still see them advertised on Amazon. Also linsoul has them available on pre order.
My reference is to the Flares Audio Pro being out of production. I'm using the IEM tips from that purchase on the 7hz Timeless.

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #1,557 of 2,559
Hi!
I am going nuts! I hope someone can help me!

My MMCX pair stopped connecting properly to my new HP Envy 17 laptop. Until a few hours ago it was working fine. Now, all it does it just connecting. I can see it is Connected in the Bluetooth & Devices, I can even hear the voice saying: connected. But I cannot hear anything. My laptop speakers are playing instead. The UTWS5 appears in the Device Manager but on the taskbar the only Audio Device that appears is my Realtek Speaker. I have paired and unpaired it many times, I have uninstalled it completely from the Device Manager. I have performed a factory reset a couple of times and cleared pairing in the App. Nothing works! In Bluetooth & Devices, it appears as Connected, which is wrong because it needs to say: Connected, Music, Voice or something like that.

The same MMCX pair works fine with my [Android] smartphone.
The same MMCX pair works fine with my older HP laptop.
The same MMCX pair worked fine for the few days I've got this new laptop. Now it stopped working! 😡

My other, 2-pin, pair connects fine and plays great with my new laptop.

Any ideas, what the... happened?!

@FiiO , @FiiO Willson ?

EDIT: After uninstalling the Bluetooth device from the Device Manager and rebooting, Intel Wireless Bluetooth re-installed automatically, and now it works again! 😊👍👌
Hey @FiiO , @FiiO Willson this problem continues! Can you please have a look at this thread of mine and suggest a solution?

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #1,558 of 2,559
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 10, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #1,559 of 2,559
Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #1,560 of 2,559
On low-level fragments (yes, symphonic music contains such places as well pauses, not tutti only) I hear noise which sometimes turns of to full silent. It is absolute stopper. Am I the only listening to classical music with UTWS5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back