Connected, but no sound [FiiO UTWS5]
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Nick24JJ

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I've started to face a very strange problem a few days ago, my FiiO UTWS5 stopped appearing in Windows Sound. I bought a new laptop last week, and it worked fine for a few days. A couple of days ago, it started to just Connect on my Bluetooth but it does not appear in the list of the available Audio Devices. See attached screenshot, please.

I have also posted about this problem here

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about why has this happened and what can I do to fix it?

Thank you

Attachments

• fiio.png
    fiio.png
    801.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 20
Have you tried uninstalling it and pairing again?

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 20
Have you tried uninstalling it and pairing again?
Yes, I have tried the following:

Removing it from Bluetooth and Adding it again
Uninstalling it from the Device Manager, rebooting and Adding it again
Disabling Realtek Audio and Adding it again

Nothing works.

The weird thing is that, as I describe in my other post, this same UTWS5 is connecting fine with my older HP laptop. Additionally, I have a second pair of the UTWS5 which connects fine with this new laptop and my old one. Also, this pair worked fine for a few days. Recently, I have re-installed the Realtek driver. I'm not sure IF this has something to do with it. I got this driver from the HP website after providing the serial number.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 20
I would uninstall the Bluetooth driver, restart, and use the Intel driver assistant utility to reinstall it.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 20
I would uninstall the Bluetooth driver, restart, and use the Intel driver assistant utility to reinstall it.
Oh, wow!! Thank you SO much! It worked! It works fine again! 😊👌

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 20
Aug 7, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 20
Hi

Unfortunately, the issue has returned and it is now happening with both of my UTWS5 pairs. It has worked for a few days, I have not changed anything on my laptop, absolutely no modification, update or software installation. This evening my MMCX unit started just Connecting again, without Voice-Music, so I could not hear anything. I then paired my 2-pin UTWS5, and it was the same: just Connecting but not appearing in Windows Sound. Then I've uninstalled the Intel Wireless Bluetooth device from the Device Manager and selected to remove the driver, as well. After rebooting, it got installed back automatically, without being able to intervene, but the Intel Driver & Support Assistant offered me the update, so I've updated the Bluetooth driver, after removing the previous one through the installer. After all that, I expected it to work, but no....

My Qudelix-5K connects fine, the little time I've tried it.

Any ideas what I could do?

Aug 7, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 20
Wild guess is that Windows is automatically installing a driver over it without notifying you. There is a way to disable automatic driver installation but I'd have to look it up. After that, I'd again try to remove everything, restart, and use the Intel installer.

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 20
Wild guess is that Windows is automatically installing a driver over it without notifying you. There is a way to disable automatic driver installation but I'd have to look it up. After that, I'd again try to remove everything, restart, and use the Intel installer.
I'm running Windows 11 Home, and yes, after uninstalling the Bluetooth device from the Device Manager, upon rebooting it is automatically installed back with the previous Bluetooth driver. This driver is up to date according to HP website - cause I've logged in there, provided the serial number and OS, and it found all my drivers up to date. I've tested both of my UTWS5 units with that previous Intel BT driver and they fail to function.

So, after that I run the Intel Driver Assistant, this utility I have always running, and it notified me about a most recent Intel BT driver. So, I went to the website, it downloaded the BT driver and initiated the installed by itself. After installation and rebooting, I've checked and the latest driver was indeed installed.

But it still fails. The units just connect but they do not appear in the sound panel. Just my Realtek Audio appears there.

Hey @FiiO , @FiiO Willson , can you explain why your devices cannot work with the latest Intel Bluetooth driver>? Cause my Qudelix-5K seems to work

PS: in the screenshot it's shown the driver I'm currently using which must be the latest.

Attachments

• BT.png
    BT.png
    207.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 20
To add to my previous post, on my older HP laptop from 2018, which uses the exact same Intel Bluetooth driver, both of my UTWS5 connect and play fine. In the screenshot you can see how it shows when it connects properly. On my new laptop it shows just as Connected. It does not show "voice, music"

I've rebooted a couple of times, and some times, randomly, it shows "voice" there but the sound is horrible, muffled. On the next reboot, it just shows as Connected again.

Attachments

• image_2022-08-08_090209055.png
    image_2022-08-08_090209055.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 0
  • newlaptop.png
    newlaptop.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #11 of 20
after uninstalling the Bluetooth device from the Device Manager, upon rebooting it is automatically installed back with the previous Bluetooth driver
When you uninstalled, did you check the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."? The nature of drivers, unfortunately, is that sometimes even if you install a new version over an old one, parts of the old version can get left behind and cause issues.

What I would do in your case is download the installer for Bluetooth to your Desktop (which should also have your Wifi drivers).

Disable Windows driver update:

Press the Windows+S keys to open the Taskbar search. Type “Change device installation settings” in the search field and select the result from the top of the list.
Device installation settings... In the dialog box, select the box next to No (Your device might not work as expected) and then click on the Save Changes button.

Then select the Yes (recommended) option and save the changes.

Uninstall Bluetooth and Wifi, deleting the driver software for both devices. Reboot. Run the local Bluetooth/Wifi install file.

If all else fails and you can't get it working stably, I would just opt for a small BT dongle and connect via that. It's a pain because it takes up a usb port, but it's probably the path with the least amount of headaches. Should be less than $15.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 20
@msing539 , thank you very much, I will give it a try after work! Can you please tell me though from where can I download the Intel installer for my Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers?
I can get it from the HP website but it will be the previous version. So, then the Intel assistant will ask me to update, and it will get installed over the previous driver.

From where can I download the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi installer for the latest Intel driver, which is 22.150.0.6 from 5/30/2022?
This is my laptop: https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=6W7H6EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

PS: yes, last time I've tried it, I've checked the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 20
@msing539 , thank you very much, I will give it a try after work! Can you please tell me though from where can I download the Intel installer for my Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers?
I can get it from the HP website but it will be the previous version. So, then the Intel assistant will ask me to update, and it will get installed over the previous driver.

From where can I download the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi installer for the latest Intel driver, which is 22.150.0.6 from 5/30/2022?
This is my laptop: https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=6W7H6EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB
This should be the Intel driver download:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-bluetooth-for-windows-10-and-windows-11.html

If it's done right, it shouldn't be upgrading/installing over an existing driver.

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #14 of 20

Disable Windows driver update:

Press the Windows+S keys to open the Taskbar search. Type “Change device installation settings” in the search field and select the result from the top of the list.
Device installation settings... In the dialog box, select the box next to No (Your device might not work as expected) and then click on the Save Changes button.

Then select the Yes (recommended) option and save the changes.
<--- is this correct? I can only select No and Yes

Uninstall Bluetooth and Wifi, deleting the driver software for both devices. Reboot. Run the local Bluetooth/Wifi install file.

Hello again,

Thank you very much for all your support, I sincerely appreciate it!

I am trying to follow the instructions but as soon as I reboot, after a few seconds, both the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers are re-installed automatically on my laptop.
You say that I should select No and then Yes? Is this a typo?

Here's what I do:

1) Remove all Bluetooth devices (UTWS5) and turn off Bluetooth in Widows Settings
2) Change device installation settings
3) Go to the Device Manager and Uninstall the devices, as shown in the screenshots
4) Reboot

In less than a minute, both drivers are installed back in my system.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    459.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.png
    4.png
    492.8 KB · Views: 0
Aug 8, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #15 of 20
I don't see that you're doing anything wrong, but Windows 11 seems to be installing drivers. I'm still on Windows 10 so can't so for sure if disabling works the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back