[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Dec 28, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #601 of 2,559
You currently need to be paired to a mobile device and using the mobile companion FiiO Control app to enable/disable or otherwise adjust ambient mode.
Ya. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed they change that. The Shure adapters do an amazing job with transparency and UI. The TW2 at this point is such a nice product in comparison, but Fiio is so responsive on this forum and that’s so rare in a company that I really want to support them.

Hopefully it all gets straightened out soon so I don’t have to buy a set of TW2 but wait and see !

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #602 of 2,559
For anyone that has the AliExpress AptX Adaptive dongle, QQ: does it keep its pairing history if you unplug the dongle from one device and plug into a different device? Use case would be switching the dongle from laptop to phone. Or does unplugging it effectively clear the pairing history?

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #603 of 2,559
For anyone that has the AliExpress AptX Adaptive dongle, QQ: does it keep its pairing history if you unplug the dongle from one device and plug into a different device? Use case would be switching the dongle from laptop to phone. Or does unplugging it effectively clear the pairing history?
It doesn't care what source you are using (or switching) and will always connect to the last BT device every time it powered up (and go into pairing mode if it can't find the last BT device after a certain time).

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #604 of 2,559
Just use a credit card, it's really easy to get your money back if you ever get scammed. At least with VISA, I've yet to test how Mastercard handles scammers.

I ordered straight away.
It was not in stock soon afterwards and now his store is on Holiday and currently unavailable.

Sound a but dodgy, and no shipping yet but he has 4 days to do so before I get refunded.

The issue is there is now other stores with it so it will be time wasted if he is/was a scammer.

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #606 of 2,559
The ideal option for me with regards to ambient mode is for it to active whenever you press pause.
Yup, this is how the Shure TW2 Second Gen works. It's delightful.

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #607 of 2,559
I think it can be done. The fact that it activates during start of music playback or a call means it can be activated in reverse too. And the active time can be extended to 1h. If you have to talk for an hour it'll be more convenient to remove the iems 😝

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #608 of 2,559
I've been looking into an Android solution for my Fiio UTWS5. My phone is currently an iPhone but I know that I am not taking advantage of all the features (e.g. adpX HD etc.) I've also read that even though the Amazon HD app says that I am playing 24 bits / 96 khz, it is not really the case on an iPhone. My search has led me to the LG V30. I am thinking of just using it as a method to stream Amazon HD or play downloaded tracks on Amazon to my UTWS5.

Has anyone had experiences with this phone as a hi-res Bluetooth streamer or DAP (via amp & wired IEMs)?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #609 of 2,559
FYI aptX Adaptive falls back to basic aptX on devices that do not have aptX Adaptive Chipset, it does not play in aptX-HD like QUALCOMM made it sound like it did at launch.

FiiO would need to add the standalone aptX-HD Codec if the devices Chipset supports it and if not add another chip and there may not be space in TWS/Earloops, the B&W P14 Neckband was one of the first to support aptX Adaptive and also supports aptX-HD I assume as it has enough space to add the needed chipsets in the Neckband.

So when I used the P14's on my Moto Z2 Force (no aptX Adaptive support) I got aptX-HD and with all other aptX Adaptive TWS I have used I am stuck on aptX.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #610 of 2,559
I think it can be done. The fact that it activates during start of music playback or a call means it can be activated in reverse too. And the active time can be extended to 1h. If you have to talk for an hour it'll be more convenient to remove the iems 😝
Wishful thinking, IMHO. I suspect the implementation of ambient mode is relying on a quirk of the Qualcomm chipset where an active audio stream forces the microphones and dsp to be active for transparency mode. I suspect the design isn't intentional nor explicit given it's apparently similarly not possible to add a pairing mode option to the earhook button.

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #611 of 2,559
Just got mine today, and love them. The one thing that stands out to me immediately vs the UTSW3 is the lower noise floor and the improved volume step adjustment. Makes using sensitive IEMs like my MEST Mk2 more convenient.

Overall, the build seems slightly improved to the UTSW3 as well. Notably, the case lid has a more secure hinge so it does not open or close unintentionally. The buttons on the ear-hooks themselves are also have a more tactile click, which makes mis-clicks less prominent of an issue. This is especially nice when using the double-click function.

Dec 29, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #612 of 2,559
I've been looking into an Android solution for my Fiio UTWS5. My phone is currently an iPhone but I know that I am not taking advantage of all the features (e.g. adpX HD etc.) I've also read that even though the Amazon HD app says that I am playing 24 bits / 96 khz, it is not really the case on an iPhone. My search has led me to the LG V30. I am thinking of just using it as a method to stream Amazon HD or play downloaded tracks on Amazon to my UTWS5.

Has anyone had experiences with this phone as a hi-res Bluetooth streamer or DAP (via amp & wired IEMs)?

V30 won't work. You'll need a newer Android phone that supports Aptx Adaptive if that's the route you want to take.

https://www.aptx.com/product-listin...ax]=2021/12/31&sort_by=created&sort_order=ASC

But just FYI there's no way to get Hi-res from any phone to the UTWS5 untouched. It's going through a lossy conversion process as soon as Bluetooth is involved regardless, so even if hi-res sounds better than CD quality (I'm doubtful), you're degrading the quality by using Bluetooth. Lossless hi-res is just not possible with Bluetooth at this point. Now whether you'll be able to hear any difference is debatable, but then maybe your iPhone is fine to begin with.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #613 of 2,559
@FiiO , this is the 3rd time I am asking, and at least one more person has asked: when will the UTWS5 be available on Amazon UK?
Dear friend,

Sorry for the delay. We have arranged sending the UTWS5 to the seller in UK(Advanced MP3) last Saturday. You may contact the seller to check when he will receive and update in Amazon.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 29, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #614 of 2,559
V30 won't work. You'll need a newer Android phone that supports Aptx Adaptive if that's the route you want to take.

https://www.aptx.com/product-listin...ax]=2021/12/31&sort_by=created&sort_order=ASC

But just FYI there's no way to get Hi-res from any phone to the UTWS5 untouched. It's going through a lossy conversion process as soon as Bluetooth is involved regardless, so even if hi-res sounds better than CD quality (I'm doubtful), you're degrading the quality by using Bluetooth. Lossless hi-res is just not possible with Bluetooth at this point. Now whether you'll be able to hear any difference is debatable, but then maybe your iPhone is fine to begin with.
Awesome. This was the validation I was looking for. To my ears, my Moondrop Variations / FH7 sound amazing on the UTWS5 via AAC. Running 320kps on Spotify is already a big upgrade from the AirPod Pros previously. To be clear, I was always satisfied with how the UTWS5 sound but got caught up in trying to squeeze every last drop of performance out of my new unit. I will just shut up and enjoy the music now =P

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back