[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Dec 28, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #586 of 2,559
Dec 28, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #587 of 2,559
May??? Wow. That's pretty far off. Will there be any firmware updates to the version you have out in the iOS Appstore?
It is expected that in about 2 weeks, UTWS5 will release the firmware for ambient sound mode and game mode :L3000: :L3000:

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 28, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #588 of 2,559
@FiiO , this is the 3rd time I am asking, and at least one more person has asked: when will the UTWS5 be available on Amazon UK?

Dec 28, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #589 of 2,559
It is expected that in about 2 weeks, UTWS5 will release the firmware for ambient sound mode and game mode :L3000: :L3000:
That sounds nice, re: game mode! :) I am expecting my XBOX Series S tomorrow and it would be nice to see how it will function with the UTWS5. I am just an casual gamer

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #590 of 2,559
Here are my findings so far on the beta firmware with ambient mode for these last 3 days:
- the mode works only when the UTWS5 is playing back something. There isn't a way to activate it otherwise.
- the adapter's "master" volume also controls the ambient mode volume indirectly. There is a volume control in the app for ambient mode but the volume of what the connected iem outputs is still controlled by the master volume.
- there's some digital processing going on that gives the sound a kinda non natural feeling.
- one still tends to "shout" even if he hears his voice back. Probably the mic positions have to do with it.

Some suggestions for @FiiO if they can be implemented:
- create an option to activate ambient mode when nothing is playing on the UTWS5 (if the feature is enabled in the app).
- during a call have it lower the volume to a value specified by the user. One needs the ambient noise but not high as to be distracting from the call.
- have it turn off during music playback.

:)

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #591 of 2,559
Here are my findings so far on the beta firmware with ambient mode for these last 3 days:
- the mode works only when the UTWS5 is playing back something. There isn't a way to activate it otherwise.
- the adapter's "master" volume also controls the ambient mode volume indirectly. There is a volume control in the app for ambient mode but the volume of what the connected iem outputs is still controlled by the master volume.
- there's some digital processing going on that gives the sound a kinda non natural feeling.
- one still tends to "shout" even if he hears his voice back. Probably the mic positions have to do with it.

Some suggestions for @FiiO if they can be implemented:
- create an option to activate ambient mode when nothing is playing on the UTWS5 (if the feature is enabled in the app).
- during a call have it lower the volume to a value specified by the user. One needs the ambient noise but not high as to be distracting from the call.
- have it turn off during music playback.

:)
Shure has implemented the ambient feature flawlessly. @FiiO needs to see what they did and emulate it. Love the UTWS5 but if they get that ambient mode in there correctly, it'll up the ante.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #593 of 2,559
Wow, that sounds really disappointing... I was really looking forward to the ambient mode feature.
I mean, it's beta, so maybe they'll tweak? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #595 of 2,559
Hopefully! Well see in 2 weeks I guess.
This is also the third time they have said 2 weeks in this and the UTWS3 thread so it might be 2 weeks might be more !

That does sound pretty disappointing though. The main reason i need the ambient mode is to be able to never take the ear pieces out at work. I want to be able to pause playback and still hear people.

The absolute last time I need an ambient mode is when music is playing that’s when I don’t want it haha. I need to be able to hear people when I pause the music and hold a conversation. @FiiO @FiiO Willson please make the ambient mode work whenever we want. Triple tap of the button or something to turn it off and on any time.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #596 of 2,559
This is also the third time they have said 2 weeks in this and the UTWS3 thread so it might be 2 weeks might be more !

That does sound pretty disappointing though. The main reason i need the ambient mode is to be able to never take the ear pieces out at work. I want to be able to pause playback and still hear people.

The absolute last time I need an ambient mode is when music is playing that’s when I don’t want it haha. I need to be able to hear people when I pause the music and hold a conversation. @FiiO @FiiO Willson please make the ambient mode work whenever we want. Triple tap of the button or something to turn it off and on any time.
Totally agree.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #597 of 2,559
Don't be disappointed guys. There is room for tweaking. Keep in mind this is still a beta firmware and things can change in the future
I love my UTWS5. For on the go they've been great so far, driving my Volts nicely.
If Qualcomm adds LDAC, Fiio implements LHDC and some more tweaks/fine tunnings for ambient mode we have a real winner on our hands :)

If you pause the music you can "hear" with ambient mode on but it will stop after a while. I didn't time exectly the duration but I think it's around 5min of music inactivity.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #598 of 2,559
Don't be disappointed guys. There is room for tweaking. Keep in mind this is still a beta firmware and things can change in the future
I love my UTWS5. For on the go they've been great so far, driving my Volts nicely.
If Qualcomm adds LDAC, Fiio implements LHDC and some more tweaks/fine tunnings for ambient mode we have a real winner on our hands :)

If you pause the music you can "hear" with ambient mode on but it will stop after a while. I didn't time exectly the duration but I think it's around 5min of music inactivity.
That’s not So bad. I usually use it because I’ve paused the music or audiobook and need to hear someone. If I want to use it for longer and all I need to do is play something to reenable it etc that’s fine too.

Can you enable it without the app? I can only get the app to talk to my devices if I unpair and then pair with the app, and then only for that session haha.

Dec 28, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #599 of 2,559
That’s not So bad. I usually use it because I’ve paused the music or audiobook and need to hear someone. If I want to use it for longer and all I need to do is play something to reenable it etc that’s fine too.

Can you enable it without the app? I can only get the app to talk to my devices if I unpair and then pair with the app, and then only for that session haha.
You currently need to be paired to a mobile device and using the mobile companion FiiO Control app to enable/disable or otherwise adjust ambient mode.

Dec 28, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #600 of 2,559
You currently need to be paired to a mobile device and using the mobile companion FiiO Control app to enable/disable or otherwise adjust ambient mode.
Well that is awful. That's how the Fostex TM2s worked. Hated it. It's not ergonomic at all. Oh well. I really can't seem them backtracking and figuring out another way to do it if they're already in beta. But you know know I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back