[FiiO UTWS3] True Wireless Bluetooth Module/MMCX/0.78 2pin/QCC3020/TPA6140A2/ Bluetooth 5.0
Jan 26, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #392 of 905
So, lets go over my opinions over this.

IEM used : Moondrop Blessing 2 (standard, non dusk)

Other bluetooth devices i own

- the original BTR
- Fiio BTR5
- AKG N400
- Soundcore Q30
- TRN BT20S

Now, the soundcore Q30 and the original BTR are there for laughs, the original BTR is a joke and the Q30 isnt in the same league.

anyways, down to the actuall stuff.

The B2 is a nice crowd pleaser with some weird weird treble sometimes and a subbass thats really at the mercy of the quality of the recording. so with a good source rsibilance is reduced and the subbass is there.

with the UTWS3, the subbase is there but somewhat reduced, and the sibilance, well, Implementing proper treble over bluetooth has always been an issue, many bluetooth devices have a weird treble rolloff, here the treble is reduced but you still feel some of the texture of the instruments, the sound quality detail wise is not bad, even good i would say, but you do feel it coming close to sibilance, listening to scratchy voices like Chris Cornell or cymbals. you almost feel it on the verge and you can almost start to feel the scraping feeling but then it dosnt cross over the line.

sound quality wise, its not going to win any awards but its good for the price, it wasnt as disappointing as the LC-BT2 where you noticed a decrease in detail and the build quality is meh (the MMCX connector issues, nevermind)

the true weak point is still power, they advertise this unit as having more power, 38mW at 16ohm, or 25mW at 32ohm, per channel, Volume is low, soundstage collapses, impact is weak, Basically dont pair this with anything power hungry, this will work great with easy to drive, the BTR5 at 80mW

Case and manufacutre

the case is big, in volume its 3 times the volume of the AKG N400 case, its as deep as the N400 is wide. its basically the size of 2 Altoids cans one on top of the other but slightly deeper. the build is... weird, its like when you buy a mid range car where it has leather and some luxury details, but at the same some plastics and covers feel very cheap, plus its very light for the supposed size it has, its 139g with the hooks and the B2 inside compared to the 80 grams of the AKG which is 1/3 the size.

the charging, im puzzled here, it has 3 lights, 2 small and 1 big, i´ve only seen the big one turn on indicating that you have more then 30% power on the case, but have not seen the lights on the ear hooks or the 2 smaller lights on the side of the big light indicating the charging status on the ear hooks.

Fiio products are hit or miss for me, I´ve had the M3K, M3 Pro, the X3 II and i have the BTR5, all of them beautify crafted with amazing quality and detail.
and others like the LC-BT2 or the original BTR which truly look like they were put together with no QC what so ever. and the quality of this sits somewhat in the middle but closer to the latter.

My final thoughts, I dont know who this product is for, the idea is to be able to use quality IEM´s as TWS, but the lack of power makes them lose most of their sparkle, sound stage and quality, i dont know any IEM´s above 100 bucks i would want to plug in to this. Maybe a moondrop Starfield or the Fiio FA1 ?

and there are good TWS earbuds that cost the same as the Fiio UTWS3 like the FIIL T1 Lite, so whats the point of spending 60 euros for the UTS3 and then on top you have to buy a pair of IEM´s that arent too power hungry so they dont get crippled by it so you are limited there, might as well spend directly 100-120 on a set of decent TWS.

On the other hand if you want to use your good IEM´s with a BT solution, you´re better served by getting a BTR5 and a balanced cable so you can get the whole 240mW per channel output it offers and get the most out of higher end IEM´s.

thats the dilemma im having with the UTWS3, i love my B2´s and they sound great off the BTR5, but they just feel lifeless off the UTWS3 and my N400 just crush them if i want to use TWS´s

I would have been better served by a shorter balanced cable on my BTR5.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #393 of 905
Is there any outer casing that

- the original BTR
- Fiio BTR5
- AKG N400
- Soundcore Q30
- TRN BT20S

Now, the soundcore Q30 and the original BTR are there for laughs, the original BTR is a joke and the Q30 isnt in the same league.

The B2 is a nice crowd pleaser with some weird weird treble sometimes and a subbass thats really at the mercy of the quality of the recording. so with a good source rsibilance is reduced and the subbass is there.

with the UTWS3, the subbase is there but somewhat reduced, and the sibilance, well, Implementing proper treble over bluetooth has always been an issue, many bluetooth devices have a weird treble rolloff, here the treble is reduced but you still feel some of the texture of the instruments, the sound quality detail wise is not bad, even good i would say, but you do feel it coming close to sibilance, listening to scratchy voices like Chris Cornell or cymbals. you almost feel it on the verge and you can almost start to feel the scraping feeling but then it dosnt cross over the line.

sound quality wise, its not going to win any awards but its good for the price, it wasnt as disappointing as the LC-BT2 where you noticed a decrease in detail and the build quality is meh (the MMCX connector issues, nevermind)

the true weak point is still power, they advertise this unit as having more power, 38mW at 16ohm, or 25mW at 32ohm, per channel, Volume is low, soundstage collapses, impact is weak, Basically dont pair this with anything power hungry, this will work great with easy to drive, the BTR5 at 80mW

Case and manufacutre

the case is big, in volume its 3 times the volume of the AKG N400 case, its as deep as the N400 is wide. its basically the size of 2 Altoids cans one on top of the other but slightly deeper. the build is... weird, its like when you buy a mid range car where it has leather and some luxury details, but at the same some plastics and covers feel very cheap, plus its very light for the supposed size it has, its 139g with the hooks and the B2 inside compared to the 80 grams of the AKG which is 1/3 the size.

the charging, im puzzled here, it has 3 lights, 2 small and 1 big, i´ve only seen the big one turn on indicating that you have more then 30% power on the case, but have not seen the lights on the ear hooks or the 2 smaller lights on the side of the big light indicating the charging status on the ear hooks.

Fiio products are hit or miss for me, I´ve had the M3K, M3 Pro, the X3 II and i have the BTR5, all of them beautify crafted with amazing quality and detail.
and others like the LC-BT2 or the original BTR which truly look like they were put together with no QC what so ever. and the quality of this sits somewhat in the middle but closer to the latter.

My final thoughts, I dont know who this product is for, the idea is to be able to use quality IEM´s as TWS, but the lack of power makes them lose most of their sparkle, sound stage and quality, i dont know any IEM´s above 100 bucks i would want to plug in to this. Maybe a moondrop Starfield or the Fiio FA1 ?

and there are good TWS earbuds that cost the same as the Fiio UTWS3 like the FIIL T1 Lite, so whats the point of spending 60 euros for the UTS3 and then on top you have to buy a pair of IEM´s that arent too power hungry so they dont get crippled by it so you are limited there, might as well spend directly 100-120 on a set of decent TWS.

On the other hand if you want to use your good IEM´s with a BT solution, you´re better served by getting a BTR5 and a balanced cable so you can get the whole 240mW per channel output it offers and get the most out of higher end IEM´s.

thats the dilemma im having with the UTWS3, i love my B2´s and they sound great off the BTR5, but they just feel lifeless off the UTWS3 and my N400 just crush them if i want to use TWS´s

This makes me regret ordering one. Sigh

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #395 of 905

- the original BTR
- Fiio BTR5
- AKG N400
- Soundcore Q30
- TRN BT20S

Case and manufacutre

Hello,
As a product manager.I would like to illustrate our point of view.
I appreciate that you have bought so many FiiO products
1, First of all,this product, is different from a normal TWS headset. You also mentioned the power, so although UTWS3 only has 25W, it should be stronger than the majority of ordinary TWS headphones, which is why many people like it.
Of course, I'm not saying that this is the maximum power we can achieve, because with a form factor like the UTWS3, there is charging and range to consider, as well as the needs of most customers.
2, The bigger users of this product, we think, are the older users who have interchangeable headphones. Now the big companies are only thinking about producing new TWS and forgetting about these old users, what about their interchangeable headphones?
Those are great things and the TWS3 is just the thing to make them work better and much better than many TWS headphones
3, UTWS3 and FiiO BTR3/BTR3K/BTR5 are not the same product definition, the latter can be directly connected to wired headphones, is another part of the needs of users
4, Now the UTWS3 appearance and function is not very perfect, but I think since many people like this kind of products, we will follow the better and better, just like the BTR series, we also need to continue to learn and improve.

This is our view, only for UTWS3

However, we may also make TWS headphones in the future, although we have already made ordinary TWS headphones before(like FW1),
But I think our advantage is the TWS headphones that are suitable for our users, which will be very different from those made by mobile phone manufacturers nowadays. :beerchug: :beerchug:

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #396 of 905
I might be wrong about it, I might have gotten a defective unit or the blessing 2 is just a very bad pairing for this product, i will do more testing, but my first impression was not good. maybe i was expecting too much from ut.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #397 of 905
UTWS3 might not seen particularly powerful on the output, but it is already the most powerful TWS adapter out there and almost as powerful as BTR3K single-ended output. In comparison, iBasso CF-01 is like 9mW@32ohm IIRC. I do agree that TWS adapter, including UTWS3, are not quite at the same level as good BT adapter like BTR5 or 5K yet. Then again, that's the price of convenience and a true wireless experience.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #398 of 905
thats the point im trying to make, the Blessing 2 is clearly a bad pairing for the UTWS3, the recharge case size and the fact that it cripples higher end IEM´s makes going for a good standalone TWS like the AKG N400 or the Galaxy buds pro better value and have better sound quality.

The whole idea behind adapters like this is being able to use your own high end IEM´s as TWS, but if the audio quality drops and a stand alone TWS can easy surpress your adapted IEM´s, whats the point ?

My B2´s sound dead off the UTWS3.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #400 of 905
Hi, just wanted to see anybody has the same issue with me.
when i connect the UTWS3 to my computer and use it with MS Teams, i get an uneven volume level from each side, i.e. if the computer is connected to the right side, right side will be louder and left will be a lower and vice versa. this issue does not seem to happen when i'm taking calls with my phone.

edit: long time lurker.... first post.. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #401 of 905
The whole idea behind adapters like this is being able to use your own high end IEM´s as TWS, but if the audio quality drops and a stand alone TWS can easy surpress your adapted IEM´s, whats the point ?

My B2´s sound dead off the UTWS3.

Don't have the B2 to try, but my experience with FiiO's own FD5 + UTWS3 is pretty good, so is MassDrop Plus.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #402 of 905
UTWS3 might not seen particularly powerful on the output, but it is already the most powerful TWS adapter out there and almost as powerful as BTR3K single-ended output. In comparison, iBasso CF-01 is like 9mW@32ohm IIRC. I do agree that TWS adapter, including UTWS3, are not quite at the same level as good BT adapter like BTR5 or 5K yet. Then again, that's the price of convenience and a true wireless experience.
:beerchug: :beerchug:

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 27, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #404 of 905
Hi, just wanted to see anybody has the same issue with me.
when i connect the UTWS3 to my computer and use it with MS Teams, i get an uneven volume level from each side, i.e. if the computer is connected to the right side, right side will be louder and left will be a lower and vice versa. this issue does not seem to happen when i'm taking calls with my phone.

edit: long time lurker.... first post.. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
I think the problem is due to the fact that the left and right ears are upgraded with different versions of software.
Have you upgraded the firmware? If so, you can re-upgrade the firmware again.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #405 of 905
I think the problem is due to the fact that the left and right ears are upgraded with different versions of software.
Have you upgraded the firmware? If so, you can re-upgrade the firmware again.

Hi, both are on the latest firmware, version 2.46. updated them a couple of nights back. again, this only happens when taking calls with my laptop, not with my phone or my DAP.

will try to reflash the firmware again..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back