FiiO Releases the X7 Standard Edition (Without Amp Module)
May 27, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #31 of 50
I think it will work out, similar to how DSLRs can be bought without lenses.

FiiO can / should work with retailers to make sure that various body / amp combo options feature prominently in online stores and physical stores alike.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 27, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #33 of 50
I think it will work out, similar to how DSLRs can be bought without lenses.

I don't think that's a good analogy. Most consumers will buy bodies with kit lens as a first purchase. Body only purchases are generally professionals and others who are upgrading from a prior kit and don't need 2 of the same lenses. But even there, people buy the kit because the kit lens is discounted and they flip it on eBay. I did just that with a Nikon Df kit. I don't think anyone will be flipping X7 modules and I don't imagine Fiio will maintain backwards compatibility of amp modules for their next 12 generations of DAPs like Nikon has done with their lenses.

Anyway good luck to Fiio. I always liked Fiio's price/value proposition and it was Fiio amps and DACs that got me started in personal hi fi. I will look again at Fiio DAPs when a model comes out that has:

1. 2 sd slots
  2. Android
  3. OTG support
  4. Stackable design

I would own an X5 if it had OTG support. I am just not a fan of coax or optical out.

May 27, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #34 of 50
I'm not sure what the is problem here, aren't they selling the modules as well? So buy the "standard" edition plus an amp module.This product is not marketed for Joe Blows, as a matter of fact besides HP enthusiasts like us most people wouldn't even know it exists.Is it not clear to some here that this is a modular product? I can see some of these complaints on Amazon, or Ebay but here? GMAFB.

May 27, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #35 of 50
I'm not sure what the is problem here, aren't they selling the modules as well? So buy the "standard" edition plus an amp module.This product is not marketed for Joe Blows, as a matter of fact besides HP enthusiasts like us most people wouldn't even know it exists.Is it not clear to some here that this is a modular product? I can see some of these complaints on Amazon, or Ebay but here? GMAFB.

Seriously, I am really surprised to see the amount of bellyaching in this thread. Does anyone really believe some customer will unknowingly buy the module-less model? These so called hypothetical situations are laughable at best and not surprising to see that the bellyachers are DPx1 owners lol.

May 27, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #36 of 50
Seriously, I am really surprised to see the amount of bellyaching in this thread. Does anyone really believe some customer will unknowingly buy the module-less model? These so called hypothetical situations are laughable at best and not surprising to see that the bellyachers are DPx1 owners lol.

Yeah I was a little disappointed to see the negative reaction.

The only thing I do wish they did was sell every x7 moving forward with the amp less module. Ultimately it makes no difference as you would still need to buy an amp modules but it would make it a complete dedicated source option with a smaller foot print than with the amp modules.

But really I see no problem marketing it the way they are. It's cheaper and you get the module you want, the unit is cheaper and the amps are half price. It's a win win win.

May 27, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #37 of 50

Dear respected customers,

By the time when we release the X7 by last September, we had almost confirmed that we will release 4 kinds of headphone amp modules with different release date of each. Based on the market needs, we can’t wait till all the amp modules get ready to sell the X7. Therefore, we firstly released the X7 bundling with the IEM module AM1.

With the release of AM2, AM5 and AM0 and the feedbacks of end users, we now release the X7 standard edition (without amp module) offering the choice for the users to choose the most favorite amp modules to match the X7.

Therefore, in the transient period, the following two editions of X7 will be on the market at the same time:
1.  X7 bundling with the IEM module AM1: It will be available until the stocks run out. And the AM1 will available for order soon with the other amp modules.
2.  X7 Body Only (Without amp module): Please kindly note that the X7 Standard Edition is without any amp module, only with one protective stopper at the bottom, which means it can’t be used for listening music nor charging. So before buying it, please kindly choose an extra amp module you like most to bundle with the X7 body. 

We will arrange the delivery for X7 Body Only (Without amp module) to our worldwide sales agents in the following days, so please kindly check with your local dealers at Where to Buy for its availability by the beginning of June. 

Best Regards,

FiiO Electronics Technology Co.,Ltd. 

I am not angry but was and continue to be confused. The description mentions 2 variations, yet there are 3 variations in the picture. Furthermore, there is an AM0 pictured in the middle so is that included in the non-amped version and if yes, is it just the a protective cover as described in point #2 or is that just another amp module that costs $50? What do I get for $50 in the AM0?

As for my other questions of "why would Fiio do this", I think the questions are fair and not stated as anger or negativity towards Fiio. If those of you who already have an X7 understand then that's great, but I don't own one and would gladly buy any DAP that offers more than what I already have. I've even "downgraded" from AK240 to my current DP-X1. If it takes me hours of research on the official and Headfi websites just to know what the heck it is I'm buying and what else I need to buy to make it work, then it's highly likely I will not bother. Listening impressions and detailed questions beyond specs are fine to comb through on Headfi and for that Headfi is a great resource.

May 27, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #38 of 50
Yeah, I think the prevailing reactions are not bellyaching so much as surprise, confusion, and / or a critique in the sense of "how things can be better" rather than actual dissatisfaction.

FiiO should take note nonetheless.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 30, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #39 of 50
 blat, so sorry for the confusion.

1. The retail price of AM0 is 33.99USD. Some of our users have their own amplifier system, therefore,our other amplifier modules are not necessary to them. Charging, DAC and data transfer can be realized by bundling AM0 with X7 which will meet the needs of customers who would like to take X7 as sound source or DAC. For more details, please feel free to visit here:  
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Tencent\QQ\Temp\%W@GJ$ACOF(TYDYECOKVDYB.png
http://fiio.net/en/products/49#AM0 

2.  The protective cover has been included into the X7 standard version (X7 body Only).

3.  Different modules have their different functions, AM0 is one of the X7's modules as well, but it is not an amp module. AM2, AM3 and AM5 are amp modules, that's the reason that we make them separate in the picture. 

4. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, please feel free to tell, we will try our best to make our products better for all of you. 

Thanks,

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 31, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #40 of 50
Seriously why can't Fiio get into the cell phone market, or one of the trillion android cell phone makers partner with fiio to add this kinda of audio functionally to an android phone. 

A phone that could play DSD?! It will be 10 years until we see that even though the technology existed for the last 5 or more. I would gladly pay double the X7 price if it could just do the most basic of cell phone functions. email, calls, texts, internet + bad ass audio. Done. Take my money.  

May 31, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #42 of 50
I feel breathers all round should be taken. Yes, in this age where it appears we can have anything when we want at the touch of a button, it is odd that an X7 has been released that can't be used. That said, a few points need to be considered. Firstly, FiiO, for all our love and support, are still a small company which is juggling giving us what we want whilst maintaining a profit. The danger of individually packaging X7s in various bundle combinations at a time when they have no solid data as to which amp modules are more popular is that they would be effectively running blind; attempting to satisfy a demand they have no proof of existing. This in turn would likely lead to a lot of excess stock which would depreciate as the new generations of the player are developed. FiiO loses money and the means to innovate. Something none of us want.

Secondly, there was a fairly muted reaction to the AM1 that came bundled with the X7 and FiiO are well aware that some members on these boards wish it had come with the AM3 or AM5 instead. So they've done the next best thing which is this DIY X7 approach. By keeping the modules separate they can still be sold separately if needed (and are clearly part of a far broader modular strategy, see the upcoming Q5) so the risk of profit loss is reduced. Equally the X7+AM1 module is going to be the same price as it is now which means the body is going to cost you considerably less. Sure, it may be a little pricier when bought with an AM2 but it will be almost £100 cheaper than if you had to buy an X7 bundled with an AM1 THEN buy a separate AM2. It's pretty logical from FiiOs point of view. Pretty logical from my wallet's point of view.

As for the AM0 confusion. The three pictures clearly show an X7 body (marked 'Standard edition') with a black protector where the amp module would be. The second picture is to highlight the fact that the AM0 is not an amplifier module and how it will modify the look of the X7. The third picture is to show what the X7 looks like with the fuller amplifier modules connected. The modular possibilities, being broad and hopefully full of possibilities, means that some will look different than others and will have specific functions away from amplification; FiiO are merely highlighting that.

The tricky part now lies with the retailers though even then they should have the courtesy to know the product and double check any order that lacks any kind of module. I personally think it should come bundled with the AM0 as standard but that's just me. With more generations on the horizon of FiiO's DAPs I'm fairly sure the modular system is going to make considerably more sense.

May 31, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #43 of 50
It sounds like FiiO is just letting people buy the DAP and whatever module suites their needs at a discounted price.... If you're spending that much money, you should have already done your research and know which amp module you need. This isn't rocket science 
rolleyes.gif

May 31, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #44 of 50
Seriously why can't Fiio get into the cell phone market, or one of the trillion android cell phone makers partner with fiio to add this kinda of audio functionally to an android phone. 

A phone that could play DSD?! It will be 10 years until we see that even though the technology existed for the last 5 or more. I would gladly pay double the X7 price if it could just do the most basic of cell phone functions. email, calls, texts, internet + bad ass audio. Done. Take my money.  

In 10 years DSD will be long forgotten, not soon enough though..........:rolleyes:

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #45 of 50
In 10 years DSD will be long forgotten, not soon enough though..........
rolleyes.gif

SACD/DSD has already been around 17 years. Places like Bandcamp still sell Cassettes. Vinyl is on the rise and the few pressing machines (and corresponding support industries) can not being to match current demand. DSD is going no where. Nor am I advocating for it. I am was merely trying to say I wish I had a phone with nice hi-fi capitlidly like the X7 (which plays DSD, but I am more interested in FLAC which the iphone can not even do, nor can it do 24 bit files) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back