[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 27, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #1,666 of 3,226
Yes stuff like that drives me crazy, but I'm getting better at living with little dings :wink: I swear mine had that out of the box. I like the looks of the new daps with front and back glass, but from a practical standpoint, the rubberized fake leather back is really nice.

Like zx300 and the flagship Sonys. And of course q5s.

I have to stay away from looking for the time being. I have a feeling the Q5s is going to ding quite a bit.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #1,667 of 3,226
I have to stay away from looking for the time being. I have a feeling the Q5s is going to ding quite a bit.

I remember I dropped my new ak70 on a desk and even though it was in a case, the top was exposed and that sharp corner of ak70 really dented lol

It sucked. I also dented my m11 :frowning2: and my m6 has a dent in the top and I have no idea how on earth it got there. At least I have a case on the way for q5s.

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #1,668 of 3,226
I remember I dropped my new ak70 on a desk and even though it was in a case, the top was exposed and that sharp corner of ak70 really dented lol

It sucked. I also dented my m11 :frowning2: and my m6 has a dent in the top and I have no idea how on earth it got there. At least I have a case on the way for q5s.
I dented my SR15 and that was in a case. The Q5s is getting nicks and it is in a DD case.

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,670 of 3,226
Look at buffer settings. I know that on my PC with JRiver Media Center and the Q5s I had a great deal of clicks and pops, but they were completely eliminated by playing around with the FiiO Control Center buffer settings, and the buffer settings in JRiver.
Just know that Q5s have same problem as K3!

I'm using K3 now and it has click and pop sound (connect to computer). I ask @FiiO but they can't give any answer. I try to change buffer both in FiiO app and Jriver but pop and click sound still there

This is one reason (from many reasons) why I want to change to Q5s. I think I have to change my mind and look for something else. Sadly, I a FiiO big fan, used X3 first gen on day one and now I have FH5 and FH7. But I can't bear for that noisy sound.

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #1,671 of 3,226
Just know that Q5s have same problem as K3!

I'm using K3 now and it has click and pop sound (connect to computer). I ask @FiiO but they can't give any answer. I try to change buffer both in FiiO app and Jriver but pop and click sound still there

This is one reason (from many reasons) why I want to change to Q5s. I think I have to change my mind and look for something else. Sadly, I a FiiO big fan, used X3 first gen on day one and now I have FH5 and FH7. But I can't bear for that noisy sound.
This is not a FiiO specific problem, it is quite common and there is no way to guarantee you won't encounter it with any other gear. I found it relatively easy to solve between the Q5s and JRiver 24. If you search this thread for my posts you will find the exact settings that worked perfectly for me. Prior to playing with the buffer settings I had quite a bit of pops and clicks, and again, based on my research this is a common enough issue so not specific to FiiO.

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,672 of 3,226
Does anyone else hear static or hiss when using the AM3D module with the Q5s?

This is not a FiiO specific problem, it is quite common and there is no way to guarantee you won't encounter it with any other gear. I found it relatively easy to solve between the Q5s and JRiver 24. If you search this thread for my posts you will find the exact settings that worked perfectly for me. Prior to playing with the buffer settings I had quite a bit of pops and clicks, and again, based on my research this is a common enough issue so not specific to FiiO.

Yes It looks my issue is Samsung S10+ specific than FIIO caused.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-clicking-issue-with-samsung-s10-and-usb-dac-amp.902224/
https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/...onds/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #1,673 of 3,226
Aug 27, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #1,674 of 3,226
My mother has the s10+. I will try the q5s whit her phone when i see her tommorow. Damn i was about to get one for my self, but thats a no go if it dont work whit dac amps

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #1,675 of 3,226
You can try correct DSD playback with Fiio's own files.
http://fiio-file.fiio.net/DSD/DSD128 LRch.rar
there are 2 files inside rar, one with sinus 1kHz tone in left channel only (DSD128 Lch 1KHz 320kbps.dsf) and one in right channel only (DSD128 Rch 1KHz 320kbps.dsf). You will hear L playing in right and R playing in left.
You must have USB output setting set to Native in FiioMusic and led in Q5s must be green (DSD input). Connection must be USB.
Fiio said already twice they cannot reproduce the problem.
Please send here and to Fiio support your own finding otherwise they will give their hands off this.

I have also BTR3. When FiioMusic connected by BT to it I can see firmware version 1.2 and firmware is really updateable. When connected to Q5s there is no firmware version available. Maybe it is not even updateable.

By the way even after several questions from me and others there is still no answer about replacement battery problem. Maybe everybody will be satisfied if battery will be dead after one year and you will throw Q5s to trash can. It costs only 450USD (incl. taxes), no problem buy another one.

And when talking about battery... my playback time is only around 6 hours not 9.5 as declared.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,676 of 3,226
Thanks for this useful information friend. But I have used many desktop DAC Ayre, Chord, North Star. It never has problem like this. I'm not a technical guy, don't know this problem may occur for portable DAC only?

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #1,677 of 3,226
You should check the DSD problem also in your M11 player, it may be the same.

Old Q5 users - can you check it also?

I checked the DSD playback with my Q5 (not s) and everything works fine, left and right channels are not switched in any of the following cases:
- HTC 10 > UAPP > DSD Native > USB CL06 > Q5
- HTC 10 > UAPP > DSD > DoP > USB CL06 > Q5
- HTC 10 > UAPP > DSD > PCM > USB CL06 > Q5
- Win 10 PC > foobar2000 > ASIO > Native DSD > USB > Q5

So it might be a Q5s issue only, I will check when it arrives.

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #1,678 of 3,226
FiiO support was able to help me with connecting to iOS device via Bluetooth. Requires to hold the Play/Pause button for 5-seconds (which will cause the Q5s to alternate blue/red flashing). iOS device should see a Q5 device to pair with in the iOS Bluetooth settings menu. Once connected the FiiO app should be able to send music to this device instead of the internal speaker. If you use the Bluetooth control functionality in the FiiO music app, you will pair with a second Bluetooth device (screenshot below shows the two different Q5 devices):
iPhone.jpg

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,679 of 3,226
Thanks for this useful information friend. But I have used many desktop DAC Ayre, Chord, North Star. It never has problem like this. I'm not a technical guy, don't know this problem may occur for portable DAC only?
I hear you, and it has been the same for me. I have never had the issue before with any DAC before, but that still doesn't change the fact that this isn't a FiiO specific problem. There are many other accounts of this issue with other DACs from SMSL and Topping for instance. I am going to speculate a little that it may also be newer DAC chips and the fact that the implementations are getting more complex in some ways, certainly more common to have dual chip configurations these last few years.

I'm sorry that it has been such a problem for you, that would be very frustrating. I have been very lucky and my issue was easily solved. Good luck and I hope whatever route you go in the future you don't have this problem.

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,680 of 3,226
I'm doubly lucky because I don't hear any pops and clicks hooked up to my laptop. Windows 10.

On a side note I got the DD case today and I'm pretty impressed. Especially for 15 quidders and change. At least it has some protection.

20190828_182547.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back