[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 29, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #1,681 of 3,226
I'm doubly lucky because I don't hear any pops and clicks hooked up to my laptop. Windows 10.

On a side note I got the DD case today and I'm pretty impressed. Especially for 15 quidders and change. At least it has some protection.

Ya, that's the only protection it has for now. Wonder if any other 3rd party will make a case for Q5S. This DD case is blocking the volume knob at 1 side. Without casing, can still use 2 fingers to turn the volume knob. Now only can access by 1 finger.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #1,682 of 3,226
Yesterday I tested Q5s line-out on my friend's highend gear which costed around 20 000 USD and plays quite well. Compared with Wadia desktop DAC on Copland CTA408 valve amplifier and Sonus Faber speakers. Interesting results. I forgot my 3.5mm-2x cinch Audioquest cable at home so we used some 2m crazy cable which are usually delivered together with some lowend gear.
2 mini PCs with Foobar connected to those 2 DACs, set the same volume level, played the same tracks at once on both and switching inputs. Because of the DSD channel problem on Q5s DSD was converted to PCM by foobar. We used many looseless formats from 16/44 to DXD or DSD128.
With this terrible cable Q5s was indistinguishable from from Wadia DAC connected by some expensive cables.
Good work.

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #1,683 of 3,226
Anybody using this with an iPhone?

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #1,685 of 3,226
Hi

I read about the back charging on Q5S. Today i just received a customised usb c to micro usb cable. After i connected it to q5s n phone, it started to charge the Q5S. I have use the method of plugging in the cable to Q5S then on Q5S before plug into phone but to no avail. It was still draining phone battery to charge Q5S. Then i switch back to my Shanling L2 cable and it does not have this problem regardless the sequence of cable connection.

So the back charging issue should be due to the usb cable. The connection maybe not shorted correctly i guess.... i am now waiting for seller reply to me

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,686 of 3,226
Hi

I read about the back charging on Q5S. Today i just received a customised usb c to micro usb cable. After i connected it to q5s n phone, it started to charge the Q5S. I have use the method of plugging in the cable to Q5S then on Q5S before plug into phone but to no avail. It was still draining phone battery to charge Q5S. Then i switch back to my Shanling L2 cable and it does not have this problem regardless the sequence of cable connection.

So the back charging issue should be due to the usb cable. The connection maybe not shorted correctly i guess.... i am now waiting for seller reply to me

Fiio should implement a power kill switch, similar to what is on the Wm1a/1Z in otg playback. On the Sony devices there is an option in settings to disable DAP charging from the source. Its an awesome add on imo. Maybe Fiio can add it to the app, somehow.

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #1,687 of 3,226
Well, my new toy arrived today in good condition, thank you again @FiiO ! :)
Just in time for the new Tool album released today :)

Quick 1st impressions:
- It's lighter in color than the old Q5! :p I didn't knew that!
- The heat produced in any mode is the same as Q5, so those that worry about heat, don't. It's normal.
- DSD has NO reversed channels in any of the cases that I posted earlier. So I don't know what's the issue with some of your use cases / devices combination.
- I like the new operation mode more that old Q5. And the led's feedback (BT codec colors, etc, side charging indicators)
- I like what I hear... especially with LDAC vs. old Q5 aptX, and I was a non believer... But I don't want to jump to conclusions about sound, it's too soon :)

More later.

q5s.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #1,689 of 3,226

Quick 1st impressions:
- The heat produced in any mode is the same as Q5, so those that worry about heat, don't. It's normal.
- DSD has NO reversed channels in any of the cases that I posted earlier. So I don't know what's the issue with some of your use cases / devices combination.
- I like the new operation mode more that old Q5. And the led's feedback (BT codec colors, etc, side charging indicators)
- I like what I hear... especially with LDAC vs. old Q5 aptX, and I was a non believer... But I don't want to jump to conclusions about sound, it's too soon :)

More later.

Really very interesting.
Do you see firmware version in FiioMusic BT control? It looks like you have some newer batch, I have a bit older. Because @FiiO communication is not good I will consult it with my supplier and if new replacement will be also the same then maybe first batch is bad.

Until now I have very bad experience with Fiio company. From sound point of view really great gear, but from technical ... Q1mkII first two pieces bad, third bad battery after 1 year seldom used. Q5s wrong DSD playback...:triportsad:

Fiio should implement a power kill switch, similar to what is on the Wm1a/1Z in otg playback. On the Sony devices there is an option in settings to disable DAP charging from the source. Its an awesome add on imo. Maybe Fiio can add it to the app, somehow.

It is already added but its behaviour is not documented and @FiiO did not answer my question how it really works. Now I know it. But will not publish it until DSD problem will be solved on my side. You may ask Fiio.

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #1,690 of 3,226
Hi

Anyone here using Aux out from phone to Q5S (3.5mm to 3.5mm)? If compare to using usb cable, which will be a better option? If cannot resolve the backnl charging issue, i am thinking to use Aux input to Q5S but not sure will the sound quality be good?

Another option is i can get my cable maker to make a usb c to 3.5mm using better grade cable. I suppose this is same as 3.5mm to 3.5mm but is for phone which doesn't have a 3.5mm out. Will this solution work? Can a phone output using usb but the cable end is terminated with 3.5mm jack?

Aug 31, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #1,692 of 3,226
Can't get line in input to work no matter what... am I doing something wrong or do I have a defective unit? :frowning2:

I just did more tests... if line in end is halfway plugged in, signal comes through fine. As soon as I push it all the way in, no more signal.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #1,694 of 3,226

Quick 1st impressions:

More later.

Channels aren't reversed unless you use USB out.

Aug 31, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #1,695 of 3,226
Really very interesting.
Do you see firmware version in FiioMusic BT control? It looks like you have some newer batch, I have a bit older. Because @FiiO communication is not good I will consult it with my supplier and if new replacement will be also the same then maybe first batch is bad.

Until now I have very bad experience with Fiio company. From sound point of view really great gear, but from technical ... Q1mkII first two pieces bad, third bad battery after 1 year seldom used. Q5s wrong DSD playback...:triportsad:

My Q5s firmware is v0.37.

fiio_usb_Q5s.png

Channels aren't reversed unless you use USB out.
As I said in my earlier post I tested various configurations with USB connection with the old Q5 and now with the Q5s and I have no reversed channels with DSD in PC or HTC 10 phone with UAPP.

Attachments

• fiio_usb.png
    fiio_usb.png
    11 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back