[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Sep 1, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #1,711 of 3,226
@FiiO

Some usability issues that I think should be addressed in a future firmware:

When the Q5s is turned on, the front blue led lights up with no input connected (USB, Bluetooth or other device). This is different than Q5 where the front led lights up only when input connected.
So it is counter-intuitive and a bit confusing to have a blue light on when unit turns on, then press the Bluetooth button for Bluetooth to activate with the same blue light blinking then resuming its "on" state.
This way the blue light is used in three different situations:
1. Unit ON
2. Bluetooth ON / SBC
3. USB ON / Standard-Res

I think it would be better to use white light or better no light when unit turns on and nothing is connected. Because we already have the "input" side led on, and the mechanical switch on volume, so we know the unit is ON.
And reserve blue light only for Bluetooth connect / SBC.
Wired inputs: white light for standard-Res / yellow for Hi-Res / green for DSD.

Then, as others have noted - in FiiO Music > BT Control - I don't know what's the difference between "RGB Indicator" > "Always" and "Until device". It seems there's no difference between the two settings, or something is not working there...
Maybe "Until device" is meant to say "Don't turn on front LED until a device is connected" but the setting is not working.
Also the captions "Open" / "Close" are redundant because we already have the grey/red on/off switches. Or at least the caption should be "On" instead of "Open" and "Off" instead of "Close".

The setting "Charge" on/off is it meant to work when unit connected to PC or phone only? Because when the "Charge" is off the unit still charges through USB when connected to PC and in use.

Can you let me know how you get the BT Control panel to work? On my iPhone 8 Plus, the BT Control panel showed up on the very first attempt, and then a pairing confirmation to pair showed up and when I confirmed it, the BT Control panel disappeared and never showed up again. Any attempt results in failures. Can any kind souls here help me if you know a trick that would help me to get this BT Control to work on my iPhone? I don’t have an Android phone.

Fiio, please help me as well if you are reading this. Also like others, I would like to see how Fiio can address the back-charging issue when the Q5s is connected to Mobil devices like my iPhone or portable DAP via the USB port.

Thank you in advance for anyone/Fiio for your kind help.

Sep 1, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,712 of 3,226
@KopaneDePooj Yes, I also found this but this is not solution when connected to phone where it is big problem comparing to PC.
Main problem is that Fiio implemented the switch as temporary until device is switched off. Then charging will start again. A bit crazy. This is result of removing 2nd charge only usb port.
My solution with connecting Q5s to phone after it is first switched on is working better, faster, mechanical only.
The only real solution would be mechanical switch only. If it would be permanent sw switch then imagine situation when you discharge Q5s and swich is off. You cannot switch it on because it is discharged and cannot charge because it is switched off. Deadlock.

I think also RGB switch Until device means until it is swithed off. But havent tried. I dont see this as a big problem.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,713 of 3,226
Can you let me know how you get the BT Control panel to work? On my iPhone 8 Plus, the BT Control panel showed up on the very first attempt, and then a pairing confirmation to pair showed up and when I confirmed it, the BT Control panel disappeared and never showed up again. Any attempt results in failures. Can any kind souls here help me if you know a trick that would help me to get this BT Control to work on my iPhone? I don’t have an Android phone.

Fiio, please help me as well if you are reading this. Also like others, I would like to see how Fiio can address the back-charging issue when the Q5s is connected to Mobil devices like my iPhone or portable DAP via the USB port.

I dont know iphone but try to unpair Q5s, then pair it agan but not in FiioMusic, somewhere in BT system settings and after pairing try FiioMusic. I would do it this way in Android.

Sep 1, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,714 of 3,226
Fiio has vacation probably till Tuesday.

"FiiO in forum is leaving from 8.28-9.2 .So I may not reply to you in time. Will get back to you soon after returning to work. Have a nice day~~"

Sep 1, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,715 of 3,226

Don't have experience with iOS, but try unpairing / forgetting the Q5s in iPhone, clearing the cache for FiiO Music app (if there's a way), clean restart iPhone (by keeping some buttons pressed until you see the apple (google it)), restart Q5s, press the Bluetooth button for 5 seconds to enter a fresh pairing with red/blue LEDs flashing, re-pair the Q5s, try again.

@KopaneDePooj Yes, I also found this but this is not solution when connected to phone where it is big problem comparing to PC.
Main problem is that Fiio implemented the switch as temporary until device is switched off. Then charging will start again. A bit crazy. This is result of removing 2nd charge only usb port.
My solution with connecting Q5s to phone after it is first switched on is working better, faster, mechanical only.
The only real solution would be mechanical switch only. If it would be permanent sw switch then imagine situation when you discharge Q5s and swich is off. You cannot switch it on because it is discharged and cannot charge because it is switched off. Deadlock.

I think also RGB switch Until device means until it is swithed off. But havent tried. I dont see this as a big problem.

The old Q5 has 2 USB ports but it's still ALWAYS charging on BOTH when connected to PC. The data port is not strictly used for data. So at least with the Q5s there is a way to disable charging when used with standard cable and PC. With the Q5 you don't have this option at all.

And regarding the phone connection I don't have back-charging when using with FiiO CL06 cable and HTC 10.

But I agree that a mechanical switch would be the best solution.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #1,718 of 3,226
Does anyone know what the USB output means on the FiiO app? I have a choice of dop d2p and native. Thank you
That’s only for DSD, DoP encapsulates DSD in a PCM stream, D2P transforms the DSD to PCM, and native sends the DSD stream as is. It depends on what your DAC supports. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you have DSD files, and if you are into DSD you will probably know what you are doing.

Sep 1, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #1,719 of 3,226
That’s only for DSD, DoP encapsulates DSD in a PCM stream, D2P transforms the DSD to PCM, and native sends the DSD stream as is. It depends on what your DAC supports. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you have DSD files, and if you are into DSD you will probably know what you are doing.
Thank you. Second thing I noticed is I can only stream through tidal via USB from my phone if I don't allow fiio music center to access the Q5S. Why is this? Also how do I know what it's outputting as I have been playing master's on tidal and the light stays blue. I thought it went yellow for 24 bit music.

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #1,720 of 3,226
Thank you. Second thing I noticed is I can only stream through tidal via USB from my phone if I don't allow fiio music center to access the Q5S. Why is this? Also how do I know what it's outputting as I have been playing master's on tidal and the light stays blue. I thought it went yellow for 24 bit music.
Because if FiiO Music accesses the DAC it takes exclusive control. So start Tidal first.
The light stays blue because Tidal doesn't play well with USB DACs so Android is down-sampling your stream before it sends to DAC. The solution is to use UAPP and play Tidal through UAPP. UAPP has dedicated drivers that don't down-scale.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,721 of 3,226
Because if FiiO Music acceses the DAC it takes exclusive control. So start Tidal first.
The light stays blue because Tidal doesn't play well with USB DACs so Android is down-sampling your stream before it sends to DAC. The solution is to use UAPP and play Tidal through UAPP. UAPP has dedicated drivers that don't down-scale.
Thank you. I didn't know uapp existed, I really like the interface and all the stats. Is it often updated?

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #1,722 of 3,226
Thank you. I didn't know uapp existed, I really like the interface and all the stats. Is it often updated?
Yes, very often.

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #1,724 of 3,226
To clarify the situation with DSD and why the FIIO support service does not answer me, I wrote to the official FIIO store on AliExpress. They immediately answered.
"one of our colleague are ask for leave so only one person to reply the emails .. you have to wait more patient"

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #1,725 of 3,226

Hi

Can i confirm with you again on how to disable the charging through usb when connecting to phone? Is it plug in the usb to q5s then switch on Q5S. Then connect the usb to phone. Is this correct? I tried this methose many times but it is still charging my q5s.... really annoying :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back