FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Jun 6, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #2,161 of 3,173
Can you elaborate? I personally see it as an endgame portable device. Pair it with any decent smart-phone and it’s very hard to beat.

What “issues” are you concerned about?

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #2,162 of 3,173
I use my Q1 MkII frequently and have been keeping track of the Q5 when it was first announced. Frequent visits to this thread make me feel that perhaps this time, FiiO have tried to make a product that tries to do too many things.
Why would you say that? I'm curious. What functionality do you think is too much in the case of the Q5?

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #2,163 of 3,173
Can you elaborate? I personally see it as an endgame portable device. Pair it with any decent smart-phone and it’s very hard to beat.

What “issues” are you concerned about?
I feel the same way in many respects, the Q5 really hits the right targets for me anyway. Love the rock solid, fantastic sounding Bluetooth. I don't think anybody should consider Bluetooth as a secondary input, in my mind it is an absolute requirement and moving forward devices without Bluetooth will stick out like a sore thumb.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #2,164 of 3,173
Me third. I’m done with DAP’s if I can avoid them. This product allows me to keep my phone as a source and quality user interface while passing the amplification and converting to a standalone product. Plus it allows my phone to be wireless if I feel like it.

Good compromise.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #2,165 of 3,173
Me third. I’m done with DAP’s if I can avoid them. This product allows me to keep my phone as a source and quality user interface while passing the amplification and converting to a standalone product. Plus it allows my phone to be wireless if I feel like it.

Good compromise.
For sure, my phone is already a source that I use frequently anyway, so as you said, the Q5 just extends the functionality further.

Jun 7, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #2,166 of 3,173

Good compromise.

For sure, my phone is already a source that I use frequently anyway, so as you said, the Q5 just extends the functionality further.

I feel the same about "no more DAPs" :)
When I had the X5 III I always had my phone with me anyway, so two devices always with me, as is now the case with phone + Q5.
With my phone I have the advantage of better music apps, fluid interface and lately I find that I use mostly Spotify on the go with unlimited mobile Internet plan. So storage is not an issue.
I also have a Wear OS watch and use for quickly controlling playback of my HTC 10. When I had the X5 III I couldn't connect my watch to my X5 for media controls and at the same time to my phone for notifications. Wear OS doesn't support 2 devices connected at the same time.

And lastly IMO sound quality with Q5 + AM3A is significantly better than X5 3rd.
Another plus is the hardware bass boost switch, which is very practical. A quick and effective way to bring more oomph when needed (thin sounding headphones or thin mastered music.) Better quality than a software eq.
Plus the Q5 gets a lot of desktop use at work.

So all in all I'm happy that I switched to the Q5.
I just need better Bluetooth connectivity with my HTC 10, there are still problems there.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #2,167 of 3,173
I feel the same way in many respects, the Q5 really hits the right targets for me anyway. Love the rock solid, fantastic sounding Bluetooth. I don't think anybody should consider Bluetooth as a secondary input, in my mind it is an absolute requirement and moving forward devices without Bluetooth will stick out like a sore thumb.

I still find directly connecting to my iPhone via USB to the Q5 sounds better than BT. On the go I use BT. But, for sit down listening sessions, it’s direct connect. Noticeably better in my case. iPhone 7/Tidal or Hiby App, (AFLAC or DSD),/ Lightening to USB/Balanced 2.5/SE846 Modded Blues.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #2,169 of 3,173
All I can say is that the Bluetooth sounds good enough that I doubt in a blind, multiple trial listening test that I could reliably tell the difference from wired. Maybe I could, but it isn't clear to me now. I have been using the Q5 via USB lately, but simply because I wanted to test that input as well. Regardless, both inputs sound fantastic.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #2,170 of 3,173
Hello i discovered today, that i must install also a bluetooth firmware ------wait ,what? ok... it was fast , no problems on windows 8... i agree separate app to only control the q5 would be great... fiio please.... the latest beta is laggy on my phone.... anyone who can hear differences in lowpass filters? stock is sharp i think... on x5 3rd i was unable tell the differences on any headphones that i own...thx

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #2,171 of 3,173
All I can say is that the Bluetooth sounds good enough that I doubt in a blind, multiple trial listening test that I could reliably tell the difference from wired. Maybe I could, but it isn't clear to me now. I have been using the Q5 via USB lately, but simply because I wanted to test that input as well. Regardless, both inputs sound fantastic.
I agree wholeheartedly, that is now pretty much the only input I use... I even went as far as getting a Chromecast Audio, powering it from a power bank, and using it for an optical input whilst out and about, BT won out, sounds the same, and is super convenient.

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #2,172 of 3,173
Hello i discovered today, that i must install also a bluetooth firmware ------wait ,what? ok... it was fast , no problems on windows 8... i agree separate app to only control the q5 would be great... fiio please.... the latest beta is laggy on my phone.... anyone who can hear differences in lowpass filters? stock is sharp i think... on x5 3rd i was unable tell the differences on any headphones that i own...thx
I think I can't tell a difference between filters either. Maybe between the first two, "Slow" seems smoother and "Sharp" edgier, but it could be just my imagination :) I use "Slow". If I don't imagine, there's also a short delay between switching the filter and when it actually activates.

Jun 9, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #2,173 of 3,173
Just sitting on a bus right now, it dawned on me (not for the first time), just how effortless it is to listen to the Q5, no jarring peaks or troughs, no genre it seems to baulk over, just blissful music... The engineers at FiiO did good!

What is exciting me right now is looking at the X series of DAPs, and their model number convention shows there could be a prospect of a TOTL Q7 (this thought is in my head, nowhere else), anyhow, how great the Q5 is, I'd be right at the front of the line if a Q7 was born!

Jun 9, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #2,174 of 3,173
I found my Fiio Q5, using the default AM3A amplifier module, has rather high output noise on the 2.5mm balanced output. In comparison, the 3.5mm unbalanced output is much cleaner and free from hissing noise, when tested using 1964 Ears V3 universal IEM. 1964 Ears V3 is a very sensitive IEM at 119 dB/mW. Using less sensitive IEM, both 3.5mm and 2.5mm are relatively clean. But overall the 3.5mm is cleaner than the 2.5mm output.

I went to the shop where I bought Fiio Q5, to compare my unit and their demo unit of Fiio Q5, same result, same noisy 2.5mm output.

I posted a simple test of the comparison of the 3.5mm output and the 2.5mm output hissing noise on YouTube:

I hope @FiiO could fix the relatively high 2.5mm output noise floor on this AM3A amplifier module. Thanks!

Jun 9, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #2,175 of 3,173
Odd, while I don't use IEM, nor have I used testing equipment like you, I certainly don't hear any noise and I only use the 2.5 balanced with my Pioneer SE Monitor 5 which is fairly sensitive. Anybody else finding the 2.5 balanced out noisy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back