FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
May 16, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #2,027 of 3,173
I love the bass boost on the Q5!
Helps a lot with thinner recordings, takes the edge off harsher vocals and ads just the right amount of oomph.
Especially with my HD 598. Don't need EQ anymore and they sound so much better with Q5 hardware bass boost. :gs1000smile:

May 16, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #2,028 of 3,173
Since updating my HTC 10 to Android Oreo 8.0 I'm also having Bluetooth signal drops when playing music with aptX enabled.
Found a workaround in the "Developer Options" changing "Bluetooth Audio Sample Rate" from 48.0 to 44.1 kHz with aptX or selecting the AAC codec.
With 44.1 or AAC the drops are almost gone, but I have to re-apply that settings every time I connect Q5 because they don't stick.
Also, sometimes Bluetooth app crashes. I contacted HTC but they don't want to acknowledge the problem and insist that FiiO Q5 must be the problem.
I tested my Q5 with some other Android smartphones with aptX and with my iPad with absolutely no problems.
Can @FiiO contact HTC about this problem or work with them to solve it?

Digging more into this issue with Bluetooth not working properly with HTC 10 running Android 8.0 Oreo, I found this:

1. If the "Use high-quality audio:aptX" checkbox is checked BEFORE connecting the Q5, it will connect in 48.0 kHz mode and it will have audio signal drops. Afterwards checking / unchecking that checkbox will not change the 48.0 kHz value with aptX. When unchecking it, the SBC mode is 44.1 kHz but when reverting back to aptX it will go into 48.0 kHz.
2. If the "Use high-quality audio:aptX" checkbox is unchecked BEFORE connecting the Q5, it will connect in SBC mode at 44.1 kHz. Then if checking that box and using aptX, it will stay in 44.1 kHz mode for aptX too! Checking / unchecking the box many times, it stayed at 44.1. In this mode aptX 44.1 kHz the audio drops are almost zero.
I checked the values in "Developer options" menu.

Recap: To use aptX with no problems, make sure you first connect in SBC mode (box unchecked BEFORE connecting). After connecting, switch to aptX mode (box checked).
Edit: If aptX still has gaps (it still has occasionally for me), select AAC in "Developer options". I listened today for 2 hours with no drop in AAC mode. I found no audible difference between aptX and AAC. AAC seems to be better implemented and tested by FiiO because is the codec that Apple devices use.

@FiiO please inform your engineer about this behaviour. Maybe he can fix it with HTC, they (HTC) won't talk to me and won't aknowledge the problem :frowning2:

Screenshot_20180516-165731.png

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #2,030 of 3,173
So since FIIO has yet to come up with a high powered balanced module, I resorted to making two adapters for my Balanced amps. I'm am actually pleasantly surprised how well the setup sounds. Anyways since the AM3B is my favorite amp for the Q5, I made up some adapters using Mogami for the RS amp and Norne OCC for the Ibasso PB2.

20180518_221114_HDR.jpg
20180518_225721_HDR.jpg

May 19, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #2,031 of 3,173
I think my unit may be defective, the line in sounds worse than the bluetooth feature, is this normal?

May 19, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #2,032 of 3,173
I think my unit may be defective, the line in sounds worse than the bluetooth feature, is this normal?

I don't know whether it is normal, but it's possible. Some Mojo poly users claimed that wireless connection is better than some other connections because it is free from various forms of jitter.

May 19, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #2,034 of 3,173
I am out and about all day, with blissful tunes courtesy of the Q5/AM5... wonder if the battery will last the journey, this is my very first continuous test... hoping it’ll make it to about 9hrs...

May 19, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #2,037 of 3,173
Is it connecting via AptX or SBC when using BT?
It’s whatever Apple sends via BT on iPhone 7Plus. I’ve heard it’s AAC, which sounds good. Obviously when playing DSD with Hiby App there is a difference from USB and BT connection. Still a difference with AFLAC USB vs BT. Just my take. I avoid BT whenever possible.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #2,038 of 3,173
Well, my battery has finally given out... 9hrs10mins with the AM5 at “sensible” volume throughout on BT I think is rather admirable... better than certain competitors I could mention :)

May 19, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,039 of 3,173
The battery life on this thing is surprisingly good. Seems like just a couple hours with the Chord Mojo on and the light was already orange (one away from red, that is).

May 19, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #2,040 of 3,173
Currently, no.

Best regards
Can you tell your team to expedite the development of your fiio music app for android? I need to be able to access the filters because as of now the device sounds like the sabre dac in my Lg V20. I need a different sound or I'll have to return the product to the store. I asked in the forum how it would compare before I bought it but no one said anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back