FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Nov 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #320 of 3,739
As far as the E12 having enough output for ortho cans, I don't think anyone needs to worry. I've been powering my Mad Dogs with the E11 for almost a week now, and the most I have ever turned up the volume is about 5.5. Maybe up to 7 when I'm feeling frisky, and that's loud as heck! But I only do that for very short periods, and very seldom. BTW, this is also playing a lot of Dubstep through them as I have found an interest in this music genre lately, thanks to a fellow colleague at work that actually creates his own Dubstep music.

Granted, the Mad Dogs (Fostex T50RP) are pretty efficient at 98dB and only 50 ohms. However, with that said, they are capable of handling up to 3000mW (3 watts!). The E12 is capable of putting out 1.3 watts at 32 ohms, so probably around 1 watt at 50 ohms. At any rate, my point is the E11 is quite easily capable of powering my ortho's with authority and slam while remaining crystal clear. And this is with the amp set to High Output and High Gain. I never use the Bass Boost, even with other types of music such as classical, jazz, blues, etc, etc. The "EQ" is always left off and about 9 - 10 hours on a full charge. So the E12 should be able to handle almost anything, based off of the excellent performance of the E11.

I just might upgrade (probably will - nah, most likely will... No, I will) to the E12 when it comes out just because it should have an even more refined sound to it. The extra battery life is a plus, but the real biggie will be using it while charging.

James, it's a blessing having you on the forum, especially as a very active member. I'm sure I speak for all of us in saying that we are extremely appreciative to have you here! Thank you! :wink:

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #321 of 3,739
Due to nearly none, but about 2-4 DACs supporting the ability to skip the built-in DACs within devices, such as the iPod Classic, would it then be pointless to get an E17 and instead get an E12?

What would the SQ be like?
Over the past few days, I've only begun looking into amps., DACs and amp. + DACs [single units], etc. Therefore, please go easy on me! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

...and yes; I must agree with Bowei's point on the charging. If a change could be made to allow for that, it'd be much better.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #322 of 3,739
Due to nearly none, but about 2-4 DACs supporting the ability to skip the built-in DACs within devices, such as the iPod Classic, would it then be pointless to get an E17 and instead get an E12?

It depends. If you are only using as part of a portable setup, I would suggest the E12. If you are looking for more versatility from a DAC/amp and would like to connect to your PC or other device along with the option of portable use, then I would suggest the E17.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #323 of 3,739

What would the SQ be like?
Over the past few days, I've only begun looking into amps., DACs and amp. + DACs [single units], etc. Therefore, please go easy on me! :D

Thanks!

...and yes; I must agree with Bowei's point on the charging. If a change could be made to allow for that, it'd be much better.

I agree with Craigster75.

I have an iPod Classic, and will connect it to the E12 using the line out dock. This will make a good solution. However I will not be using IEMs.

I want as much power delivery, hence why I'm not going via the E17 route.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #324 of 3,739
I have today sold the last part of my home headphone setup (Littledot MKIV tube amp). As much as I'm going to miss its phenomenal sound, my new HD558s don't need all the current the amp delivers, and now that I have 2 dogs , I wanted a portable solution to use with my classic. The E12 fits the bill perfectly.

It means I can listen to music wherever my dogs are. Perfect :)

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #325 of 3,739
Quote:
I have an iPod Classic, and will connect it to the E12 using the line out dock. This will make a good solution. However I will not be using IEMs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the E12 will provide more power than the E17? [...and in the SQ department, what would things be like? - Not just SQ, but also sound signature, how spacious it sounds, too]

Hmmh... I suppose that it may be better to get the E12 than the E17. If I were to use the DAC from the E17 [outside of a portable setup], it'd only be on rare occasions.

P.S. Would you mind having a look at my thread that I've posted in the Portable Headphone Amp. forum?; I'd be really grateful.
Thanks! :)

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #327 of 3,739
Quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the E12 will provide more power than the E17? [...and in the SQ department, what would things be like? - Not just SQ, but also sound signature, how spacious it sounds, too]

Hmmh... I suppose that it may be better to get the E12 than the E17. If I were to use the DAC from the E17 [outside of a portable setup], it'd only be on rare occasions.

P.S. Would you mind having a look at my thread that I've posted in the Portable Headphone Amp. forum?; I'd be really grateful.
Thanks! :)

My understanding is that the amp in the E17 is comparable to the E11. Since the E12 is a step up from the E11, I would expect the E12 amp to be superior to the E17 amp.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #329 of 3,739
I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time now, and I have to say I am getting excited and antsy...GO FiiO Go!!!!!  I love my E17, but the prospect of an affordable portable that may be able to drive my HD 650's and my soon to be purchased LCD-2s is enticing.  Not that I will wear either on the street, but full mobility in the house will be a game changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back