FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Nov 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #286 of 3,739
Quote:
Can't wait until december. Going to use the E12 to destroy a pair of cheap earbuds. I've always wondered what a pair of earbuds being destroyed by excessive power looks like. Similar experiments done on speakers produced an awesome looking result.

The experiment is going to be done in the backyard, so flying earbud drivers or whatever won't hurt anyone. Going to pop off one of the covers for the earbuds if possible. Not sure if I should video this or take before and after pictures. Now obviously the earbud will be driven far beyond tolerable listening volumes, so it'll be interesting to hear what kind distortion I'm going to get too.

This won't damage my E12 right?

Edit: I think I'll need to include a note saying that normal usage with the E12 won't cause earphones to blow up, just in case someone gets confused.

LOL- I have an overpowered Onkyo receiver and my nephew blew out the woofers on my classic Advent Maiestro tower speakers listening to hip hop near full volume.  The paper cone was turned to paper mache.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #287 of 3,739
Quote:
LOL- I have an overpowered Onkyo receiver and my nephew blew out the woofers on my classic Advent Maiestro tower speakers listening to hip hop near full volume.  The paper cone was turned to paper mache.

For the M-100 ZO 2.3 or E12??? (Keeping in mind I have an E11 and am looking to push more bass with some genres, but would also like more forward mids with others).

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #288 of 3,739
A small updated, we already decided to use LME49710+LME49600 in our Mont Blanc. some technical specification of this two op amp:

About LME49710MA NOPB

The LME49710 is a Single High Fidelity Audio Operational Amplifier. This Audio Amplifier offers near zero THD+N and sets a new standard for high end audio users. TI's newest Amplifier uses state of the art circuitry and process to achieve a new class of audio performance and technology. The AC and DC parameters in this amplifier series offers users a solution well suited for the most demanding signal path applications. There are three package choices to enable all users' ease of use and evaluation criteria.
The LME49710 is designed for high slew rate, low noise and high output for systems needing +/-2.5 to +/-17V functionality. The pin out is the TI standard to quickly upgrade existing boards. This series is for applications such as high quality audio amplification, multi-media, imaging, line drivers/receivers and active filters. The output current is for 600Ohm loads with more than 26mA drive with THD+N over a wide voltage range.
The LME49710MADB, LME49710NADB and LME49710HADB are evaluation boards designed to establish performance and evaluation to design the best end user system. The evaluation boards include all components for ready-to-use, a stand-alone bench work.

Features
  1. Single Audio Operational Amplifier
  2. Ultra low THD+N of 0.00003%
  3. 34V operation and low noise
  4. 600Ohm loads
  5. SNR 97dB
  6. High output of 26mA
  7. Gain Bandwidth Product >55MHz
  8. 20uV/S Slew rate
  9. DC Gain Linearity Error of 0.000009%
  10. PSRR >120dB
  11. CMRR >120dB
  12. Vos is 0.1mV
  13. Three package offerings
Applications
  1. High Fidelity Audio Equipment
  2. High Fidelity drivers/receivers
  3. 34V Industrial applications 

About LME49600

The LME49600 is a high performance, low distortion high fidelity 250mA audio buffer. The LME49600 is designed for a wide range of applications. It can be used inside the feedback loop of op amps.
The LME49600 offers a pin-selectable bandwidth: a low current, 110MHz bandwidth mode that consumes 7.3mA and a wide 180MHz bandwidth mode that consumes 13.2mA. In both modes the LME49600 has a nominal 2000V/μs slew rate. Bandwidth is easily adjusted by either leaving the BW pin unconnected or connecting a resistor between the BW pin and the VEE pin.
The LME49600 is fully protected through internal current limit and thermal shutdown.

Features

1. Pin-selectable bandwidth and quiescent current
  2. Pure fidelity. Pure performance
  3. Short circuit protection
  4. Thermal shutdown
  5. TO–263 surface-mount package 

Device Uses

1. Headphone amplifier output drive stage
  2. Line drivers
  3. Low power audio amplifiers
  4. High-current operational amplifier output stage
  5. ATE Pin Driver Buffer
  6. Power supply regulator

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 9, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #289 of 3,739
I want to congratulate you on choosing a great op-amp, I had a cmoy and the LME49720 was the best sounding to my ears, fast, quite neutral and very detailed, loved it.

Can't wait for you to bring this out, well be awaiting any updates

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #291 of 3,739
Quote:
Can't wait until december. Going to use the E12 to destroy a pair of cheap earbuds. I've always wondered what a pair of earbuds being destroyed by excessive power looks like. Similar experiments done on speakers produced an awesome looking result.

The experiment is going to be done in the backyard, so flying earbud drivers or whatever won't hurt anyone. Going to pop off one of the covers for the earbuds if possible. Not sure if I should video this or take before and after pictures. Now obviously the earbud will be driven far beyond tolerable listening volumes, so it'll be interesting to hear what kind distortion I'm going to get too.

Edit: I think I'll need to include a note saying that normal usage with the E12 won't cause earphones to blow up, just in case someone gets confused.

That is easier done with a desktop unit. You don't need an E12 to do that. I haven't done it yet though. 

Edit:
Done:

High Gain, max volume. 3.5W @ 25 ohms. No currency numbers. But man these things are distorting.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #292 of 3,739
Quote:
Can't wait until december. Going to use the E12 to destroy a pair of cheap earbuds.

When a power amp is powerful enough you can destroy speakers (usually they overheat and burn out) before clipping and destroying the amps. However, there is a double risk - the destroyed speakers can sometimes form a short circuit and consequently you will drive your amps to destruction. Not a recommended practice!

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #293 of 3,739
Quote:
@feiao- Since the amp is fairly neutral, what will be the quantity of the bass boost switch in dB and how does that compare to the two settings on the E11?

the bass boost value is about 3dB , and we will try to move to the sub bass range.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #294 of 3,739
the bass boost value is about 3dB , and we will try to move to the sub bass range.

Exciting, that should be quite unique! Thanks for the update.

Interesting that so many people are looking for Q701 amps...

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #295 of 3,739
This will sound like a pretty dumb question, but I just wanted to confirm anyway on whether I should wait for this or not...

Is the E12 an Amp only or DAC as well?

If it's an amp only as I suspect it is, do you guys think it will be overkill for my AKG K550s?
At the moment I have a Fiio E11 and recently got a Go-Vibe Petite for the laptop, although I'm not a big fan of the Go-Vibe to be honest..

Lastly, I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 usb audio interface for recording my mixes. If I play music on the PC and output to the Scarlett, then connect either the headphone out or Line out channels to the input of he E11 (or E12) for extra amplificaition, am I likely to lose much/any sound quaity?

Sorry for partially hijacking the thread! :S

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #296 of 3,739
 Is there any specific information about the Special or Limited Edition model yet? With Christmas just around the corner, it would be nice to know what to put on my wish list!

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #297 of 3,739
Answers in bold 'cuz too lazy to split

Quote:
This will sound like a pretty dumb question, but I just wanted to confirm anyway on whether I should wait for this or not...

Is the E12 an Amp only or DAC as well?
>> Amp only

If it's an amp only as I suspect it is, do you guys think it will be overkill for my AKG K550s?
>> "Overkill" does not seem to be in the vocabulary of many people here.  But certainly, you will not require the extra power the E12 can output over the E11.  As for a difference in features or sound quality (in my opinion, not likely much change in the latter), that could be another matter.  In the least, it seems like you'll be able to use the E12 while plugged in and charging, for what that's worth.

At the moment I have a Fiio E11 and recently got a Go-Vibe Petite for the laptop, although I'm not a big fan of the Go-Vibe to be honest..

Lastly, I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 usb audio interface for recording my mixes. If I play music on the PC and output to the Scarlett, then connect either the headphone out or Line out channels to the input of he E11 (or E12) for extra amplificaition, am I likely to lose much/any sound quaity?
>> Lose sound quality relative to what?  A line output is what you want to connect to an amplifier, so the setup you propose is what makes sense.  There is sound quality lost in the sense that no device does D/A perfectly, the line output is not perfect, and the E11 and E12 are not perfect, but whether that amounts to "much" is a different matter.  Probably not.

Sorry for partially hijacking the thread! :S

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #298 of 3,739
thanks so much for your response Mikeaj, cleared up all my questions :)

I can't imagine buying a new set of headphones for a while, so I guess I can keep the amps etc I have now.. I suppose I better concentrate on creating high quality music to enjoy what I already have!

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #299 of 3,739
 Is there any specific information about the Special or Limited Edition model yet? With Christmas just around the corner, it would be nice to know what to put on my wish list!

There's going to be a limited edition model? Great, now I'm going to be obliged to buy one :frowning2: the standard model is stunning enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back