FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Mar 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #2,731 of 3,739
99.999% of headphones don't need that much power, especially for a portable headphone. Maybe they can start their all-in-one flagship desktop solution but it seems like they are focusing on the PMPs atm that also does a lot of things for the asking prices.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #2,733 of 3,739
I'm digging this little cheap amp, very surprised how well it drives the LCD-2.  For those who have this combo, check out track 4 "Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most" on Bakoon's recordings demo page.

Midway through, the lounge piano gives it up to a standing string bass, and it sounds great.  Strong, tight, musical, and no need to augment with bass boost.

http://www.bakoonproducts.com/downloads/recordings/

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,734 of 3,739
I just got the E12 to pair with my V-Moda M80s and am loving it so far. I do have a question though. Is the source volume (iPhone 5) supposed to be at max and then increase the volume of the E12 or does it not matter?

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #2,735 of 3,739
I just got the E12 to pair with my V-Moda M80s and am loving it so far. I do have a question though. Is the source volume (iPhone 5) supposed to be at max and then increase the volume of the E12 or does it not matter?

I would set the iPhone to maximum.
If you are using a DOC cable, then the volume control in the iPhone may be bypassed.

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #2,736 of 3,739

I have been using the E12 for a couple weeks and I have been setting the volume of the iPhone to max. It works great!

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,737 of 3,739
really confused with people's experiences with the E12's with some of the high impedance headphones like the HD800 and T1s maybe some can unravel the mystery for me... then  empty my wallet on more upgrades. Anyway, I'm finding it amazing that hooked up to my computer 80% and used a config to lower preamp 9db.. As for the DAC  --> E17 Dac+ Line out --> Fiio E12 +16 db gain really rocks! I mean I can barely get the volume pot past 12. first off, is my set up wrong in any way?  It's so odd to read about other reviews that describe difficultly getting ample volume with some mid-high end amps - and those amps have their own discrete power. Meanwhile, I feel like I'm getting plenty juice from my usb powered E12 instead of using something that draws like 30-40W energy to heat the house and electricity bill. something feels off... and I think great stuff can come in small packages and be more efficient.. like my usb amps :)

What gives? Is it possible that the amps already build in some boost or add reverb or whatever to make them sound more spacious and impact than they really are. I was noticed a difference going from PC -> DAC -> Amp (USB), but curious if I'd be disappointed in something that claims to do "X" "Y" "Z" and observing no insignificant difference than a Fiio and higher end asgard. I'm posting here so it doesn't offend the Asgard 2 owners in their threads. any suggestions?

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #2,738 of 3,739
Talisman,
I'm not sure man, I don't have an HD800 but I've owned and borrowed a bunch of headphones, and the E12 has been fine with all. There was only one time I had to nearly max out... my soundcard was acting very weird/wrong, and it sucked out all the volume.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2,739 of 3,739
Can anybody tell me why it came in red package from singapore?
I already had one from german fiio shop and that one had normal white package
According to tech spec they are same
Still am i wondering about that...

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #2,742 of 3,739
  really confused with people's experiences with the E12's with some of the high impedance headphones like the HD800 and T1s maybe some can unravel the mystery for me... then  empty my wallet on more upgrades. Anyway, I'm finding it amazing that hooked up to my computer 80% and used a config to lower preamp 9db.. As for the DAC  --> E17 Dac+ Line out --> Fiio E12 +16 db gain really rocks! I mean I can barely get the volume pot past 12. first off, is my set up wrong in any way?  It's so odd to read about other reviews that describe difficultly getting ample volume with some mid-high end amps - and those amps have their own discrete power. Meanwhile, I feel like I'm getting plenty juice from my usb powered E12 instead of using something that draws like 30-40W energy to heat the house and electricity bill. something feels off... and I think great stuff can come in small packages and be more efficient.. like my usb amps :)

What gives? Is it possible that the amps already build in some boost or add reverb or whatever to make them sound more spacious and impact than they really are. I was noticed a difference going from PC -> DAC -> Amp (USB), but curious if I'd be disappointed in something that claims to do "X" "Y" "Z" and observing no insignificant difference than a Fiio and higher end asgard. I'm posting here so it doesn't offend the Asgard 2 owners in their threads. any suggestions?

I have both an E12 as well as Asgard 2 and others, no offense taken. The Asgard 2 can drive my HE-500's better/louder but the E12 is no slouch. Soundstage is more of a function of channel separation or by psychoacoustical affect of boosted treble. Amps do not add reverb, that would be a special effects thing that no one should be interested in.
What cans do you use with the E12? HD800's?

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #2,743 of 3,739
well done humanity

comparing asgard 2 and e12

let me leave this planet

"Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 380mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 190mW RMS per channel
"

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2,744 of 3,739
I have had this little amp for a few weeks now and am loving it. It makes the music more alive (if that makes sense). I do have occassional hissing or popping noises while a song is playing. Could it be an issue with the interconnects (standard FiiO cable) or the source (iPhone 5)? I tend to notice it more when riding the Metro, so could it be possibly interference from other electronic devices nearby? Is there a way to minimize that?

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #2,745 of 3,739
  well done humanity

comparing asgard 2 and e12

let me leave this planet

"Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 380mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 190mW RMS per channel
"

The specs you gave are for the Asgard 2.

The E12 doesn't have a power spec'd at 300 Ohms, but if you look at the E12 DIY it can find something for 300 Ohms. The DIY spec's less power at 32 Ohms than the normal E12.
880 mW at 32 Ohms.
150 mW at 300 Ohms (DIY).

Not too shaby for a little portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back