FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 15, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #2,701 of 3,739
I just got the E12 and I hear a constant hiss on mine using the Westone UM Pro 30(f.k.a. UM3X) unless I turn the volume up past 9 o'clock. But I would still hear it at a quiet environment and the music gets quiet as some of mine does.  I didn't notice a hiss while I was auditioning it against the C5 in store. The two practically sounded the same at the lowest sound level. 

BTW is it normal for the crossfeed to lower the power output when turned on? I was playing with it and the volume drops when I turn it on. I have it on at the moment as it give me more variability with the volume control. Does this do anything bad to my music?

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #2,702 of 3,739
Yes, I've noticed that cross feed drops the volume quit a bit.
It's really designed to be used when the recording has too much left-right separation, this may sound OK over loudspeakers, but sounds irritating via headphones.

Weird, the hiss makes no sense.
I wonder if FiiO has a bad batch?
Are you running off the charger?

Edit:
The E12 always sounds a bit noisy off the charger.
Charge the battery, then disconnect the charger.
Then use the E12.

DO YOU HAVE THE GAIN SET TO 0?

Gain must be set to "0" with IEMs.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2,703 of 3,739
Yes, I've noticed that cross feed drops the volume quit a bit.
It's really designed to be used when the recording has too much left-right separation, this may sound OK over loudspeakers, but sounds irritating via headphones.

Weird, the hiss makes no sense.
I wonder if FiiO has a bad batch?
Are you running off the charger?

Edit:
The E12 always sounds a bit noisy off the charger.
Charge the battery, then disconnect the charger.
Then use the E12.

DO YOU HAVE THE GAIN SET TO 0?

Gain must be set to "0" with IEMs.

I will  try to fully charge it then try again. I tested with the gain set to 0, the other one does about 90+ dB SPL at the lowest level on the volume knob.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2,704 of 3,739
Took my unit back to the dealer today. Testet it against a demo unit in the shop. Same hiss with my 535's. Tried different Shurea IEM's in the shop witch gave the same result on both amps. The dealer also thinks something was off, but would't change out my unit. Instead the sent an e-mail to Fiio. So i'll just have to wait. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #2,705 of 3,739
Hello all.

I use a Galaxy Note 3 playing FLAC files through my V-Moda M-100's. I like the sound but I'm now wondering what an E12 would add to the party. I listen to a wide range of music, from Al Stewart to Rammstein. I think the form factor would fit pretty well with the Note 3 in its Otterbox Commuter case.

What do you folks think? Would the sound be improved or should I be looking to spend my money elsewhere?

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2,706 of 3,739
An portable amp, alone, isn't really going to scale up the M100... since you are just double amping the main source.

You may want to look into a portable DAC/amp like the E18, instead... so your note 3 can feed it a digital signal, and let the E18 do all the magic.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #2,707 of 3,739
That was one possibility I had considered. Would it be fair to assume that the DAC in the E18 will be superior to the one built-in to the Note 3?

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #2,709 of 3,739
After about  a week of using the E12 with my UM PRO 30, the hiss is still there although my test environment is a very quite one (I can hear movement of people across 2 rooms). If I were to use it outside or on an otherwise noisy/chattery environment, the hiss wont be apparent at all. Even a library with minimal noise is enough to drown out the hiss. Further, it isn't at all audible using headphones even on high gain.

I am happy to find that it sounds just as good as my desktop amp driving my HE-500. This will be great as I can finally bring my HE-500 anywhere I want. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,710 of 3,739
I got a e-mail for the store. They got a confirmation from the norwegian dealer that there should be no hiss whatsoever on the E12.
So now i'm just waiting for å solution.

I think i'll swap it in for a E18.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #2,711 of 3,739
Hello all.

I use a Galaxy Note 3 playing FLAC files through my V-Moda M-100's. I like the sound but I'm now wondering what an E12 would add to the party. I listen to a wide range of music, from Al Stewart to Rammstein. I think the form factor would fit pretty well with the Note 3 in its Otterbox Commuter case.

What do you folks think? Would the sound be improved or should I be looking to spend my money elsewhere?

Hi I have the Note 1 in the Otterbox case. It is much larger than my E12. I do not use the Note as a dap. So I cannot comment on the sound though.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #2,712 of 3,739
Just got word back from the Norwegian importer today. They tested another E12 with the se535 and the hiss was even worse than the unit i got / the demo unit in the shop. They testet it with another pair of SE535 and SE425 with the same result. The importer conclued that it was the shure iem's that was the problem and wouldt replace my unit. The importer used some other iem brand where the hiss was gone.

Anyone else here using the e12 with shure and don't experince the problem?

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #2,713 of 3,739
  If you can get the E12, do it. You can't use the E11 while the battery is charging, however, the E12 can charge and operate at the same time. Although you can change the battery for the E11, you would have to get a spare and external charger. Also the E12 is built much better, is more powerful and has a better sounding bass boost.

Can anyone confirmed that for me? I also got an opposite opinion:
 the e12 have to charge in order to use it it does not work when it is plugged in charging.

E12's owners, I'm waiting for your answers :)

Greets.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #2,714 of 3,739
   Can anyone confirmed that for me? I also got an opposite opinion:

E12's owners, I'm waiting for your answers :)

Greets.

If you didn't believe me, you could have found the below within a few seconds using the search capability of this site. 
tongue.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/699099/portable-amp-charge-while-listening#post_10149522
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e12-mont-blanc/reviews/8449

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #2,715 of 3,739
It's not that I don't believe but I just found 2 absolutely different opinions; and I did research there but couldn't find anything proper (well, maybe I haven't searched carefully) :)

OK, so answer is yes but also:
 though your typical mains power will introduce a little background noise

Is it noticeable/disturbing?

Greets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back