FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 5, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #2,581 of 3,739
I've completed the first charge of the E12 and started listening with my new K550's but I think I may have a problem. I have to turn the volume knob more than halfway to get a decent volume, and the sound is muffled. I'm definitely not a professional but it's that noticeable. After reading reviews I new the sound stage of the 550's may take a hit from the amp but has anyone experienced the volume being lower when connected to the amp and having muffled sound? I'm comparing this to the headphones connected directly to my J3 and to a defective E11.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #2,585 of 3,739
  I've completed the first charge of the E12 and started listening with my new K550's but I think I may have a problem. I have to turn the volume knob more than halfway to get a decent volume, and the sound is muffled. I'm definitely not a professional but it's that noticeable. After reading reviews I new the sound stage of the 550's may take a hit from the amp but has anyone experienced the volume being lower when connected to the amp and having muffled sound? I'm comparing this to the headphones connected directly to my J3 and to a defective E11.

Hi I have the Ultrasone Signature PRO. It has the same sensitivity as your K550. At least that is what Tyll Hertsens published on Inner Fidelity. It is 0.033 vs 0.035 volt RMS for 90 dB SPL. I only need 11 o'clock for a loud noise level. 12 o'clock is too loud for me for longer listening. And for longer session I prefer 10 o'clock.
Test setup:
Ipod Classic 120gb EU capped version >LOD>Fiio E12 @ low gain> Ultrasone Signature PRO

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2,586 of 3,739

Hi I have the Ultrasone Signature PRO. It has the same sensitivity as your K550. At least that is what Tyll Hertsens published on Inner Fidelity. It is 0.033 vs 0.035 volt RMS for 90 dB SPL. I only need 11 o'clock for a loud noise level. 12 o'clock is too loud for me for longer listening. And for longer session I prefer 10 o'clock.
Test setup:
Ipod Classic 120gb EU capped version >LOD>Fiio E12 @ low gain> Ultrasone Signature PRO

Thanks, I'm glad I could confirm something is wrong with the volume part of it. Only when I switched the gain on as Hijodelbrx suggested did I get the volume levels you're describing. I'll be returning it today and will probably go without an amp  while I do more research. I like to play without EQ and the E12 changed the sound to much for me. Unfortunately I do not think the E12 is a good match for the K550's. I'm wondering if I received a totally bum unit because I can't believe the E11 is less coloured, but that's what I'm hearing when I do the A-B comparison.

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,587 of 3,739
How many hours did your E12 play? I am asking, because when mine was new, I made a comment in this thread that the E12 sounds worse than the Ipod without it. But that changed after lets say 40 hours. James from Fiio stated that the capacitors of the amp need to kinda settle some time before they provide the cleanest sound. I feel that that is true.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #2,588 of 3,739
How many hours did your E12 play? I am asking, because when mine was new, I made a comment in this thread that the E12 sounds worse than the Ipod without it. But that changed after lets say 40 hours. James from Fiio stated that the capacitors of the amp need to kinda settle some time before they provide the cleanest sound. I feel that that is true.

Capacitors settling in? I think James was spinning a yarn.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2,589 of 3,739
Capacitors settling in? I think James was spinning a yarn.

StanD, could you please inform us where you get all your wisdom from? As per now it looks like we all should stop posting here because finally the MASTER has come to save us all.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #2,590 of 3,739
Most people are unaware of how human auditory memory works or doesn't. If you were given a proper blind test, you would be surprised at the results. There are very basic parameters involved, nothing so special other than the human component which can easily skew the results.

please read the posting rules.

No DBT discussions outside the Science Forum.

just thought I'd say something before the moderators get involved........:cool:

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #2,591 of 3,739

I had it just for a day and had already shipped it back when I read your reply. After the issue with the volume I didn't want to take any chances that I just had a bad unit. Its to bad because I was really hyped about getting it. For future reference would you know if the "settle time" exclusive to the E12?

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk 4

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #2,592 of 3,739
A lot of people claim that it is true for each and every amp out there. I only had this strong effect with the E12.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #2,593 of 3,739
StanD, could you please inform us where you get all your wisdom from? As per now it looks like we all should stop posting here because finally the MASTER has come to save us all.

Anyone that spends a few years in college studying Electrical Engineering is required to learn a few things. A Masters Degree helps. Although one can study this on their own from a wealth of written materials that are available to all.

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,594 of 3,739
You know most of the prople here only enjoy music and non scientifical talk about their devices.

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #2,595 of 3,739
You know most of the prople here only enjoy music and non scientifical talk about their devices.

But you brought up the scientific myth about capacitors. I just don't think it's fair to spread such so I was setting the record straight. I'm sure that you didn't intend to mislead anyone, I do know a thing or two about capacitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back