FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #2,596 of 3,739
Anyone that spends a few years in college studying Electrical Engineering is required to learn a few things. A Masters Degree helps. Although one can study this on their own from a wealth of written materials that are available to all.

You're not answering the question.
Your profile shows you're a person who likes music and photography.
And you write bugs for a living.

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #2,597 of 3,739

Anyone that spends a few years in college studying Electrical Engineering is required to learn a few things. A Masters Degree helps. Although one can study this on their own from a wealth of written materials that are available to all.

You're not answering the question.
Your profile shows you're a person who likes music and photography.
And you write bugs for a living.

I started out as an Electrical Engineer designing Microprocessor based Instrumentation systems that measured down to 125 nV (Billionth's of a Volt) per bit When in college I designed and modified Electronic Music Synthesizers, which was at the time analog computers, and designed/modified/worked on audio designs for recording studios, in NYC. I also worked at Bell Laboratories for almost 7 years, well before it fell to Lucent. There I worked on Analog and Digital systems, for audio, Nowadays I design and write software for a "Too Big Too Fail" Bank/Brokerage, the Stress testing and Risk Analysis stuff. I just might know a thing or two. Some of the theories I've read around here are not amusing. Although for many this is a hobby full of the usual subjective stuff, I just feel bad when someone says something that is not right and may unduly influence an innocent reader. Sometimes people are mislead and spend a great deal of money in pursuit of something imagined or misstated by another.
Resume over....
"Write bugs for a living," is meant to be humorous. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,598 of 3,739
  I started out as an Electrical Engineer designing Microprocessor based Instrumentation systems that measured down to 125 nV (Billionth's of a Volt) per bit When in college I designed and modified Electronic Music Synthesizers, which was at the time analog computers, and designed/modified/worked on audio designs for recording studios, in NYC. I also worked at Bell Laboratories for almost 7 years, well before it fell to Lucent. There I worked on Analog and Digital systems, for audio, Nowadays I design and write software for a "Too Big Too Fail" Bank/Brokerage, the Stress testing and Risk Analysis stuff. I just might know a thing or two. Some of the theories I've read around here are not amusing. Although for many this is a hobby full of the usual subjective stuff, I just feel bad when someone says something that is not right and may unduly influence an innocent reader. Sometimes people are mislead and spend a great deal of money in pursuit of something imagined or misstated by another.
Resume over....
"Write bugs for a living," is meant to be humorous. 
biggrin.gif

I am on my knees...........
popcorn.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2,599 of 3,739

I am on my knees...........
popcorn.gif

Well, he was asked repeatedly about his credentials, so he can't be faulted for stating them (assuming they are true).

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #2,602 of 3,739
You might want to check out this thread:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=751.0

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #2,603 of 3,739
  You might want to check out this thread:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=751.0

I have used very expensive capacitors where they are needed in fancy Integrators for Analog to Digital Conversion. In that case Dielectric Absorption and leakage were important factors. These are not factors in headphone amps. The factor that is relevant is the value of capacitance as it affects reactance, assuming operating voltage and the like were selected properly at design time there are no other issues to be concerned about. There is a tolerance to this value and a temperature coefficient. If the circuit design was done correctly these could not possibly be detectable to the ear as any changes should result in db values that are far too small for us to hear as how it affects an amp. If these values changed significantly with burn in there would be far larger related issues in this world beyond just headphone amps. If you look on the Internet you will find people that state that man never landed on the moon or that Abraham Lincoln was a vampire. I'd spend more time enjoying my listening to music than chasing these stories. Far too many people imagine stuff or are affected by these stories and give life to fiction. I understand that from your perspective you may not know what to believe. If you want to believe this, that's fine with me. Just keep in mind there are so many fruity stories out there that can consume a person that doesn't have an engineering background.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #2,604 of 3,739
Resume over....
"Write bugs for a living," is meant to be humorous. :D

The original question was a fair one.......what are your credentials?
Head Fi and the internet are filled with people who have a strong opinion and little or no technical knowledge.
The Science Friction forum is filled with people trying to save us from ourselves....:rolleyes:

OTOH, I suspect there is something seriously flawed in the DBT model, I suspect auditory long term memory can be quite good, however this is not the forum for DBT debates so I should take my own advice and let it drop.....

While I'm not a big believer in burn-in, I do believe some equipment does sound better after warmed up for 30 minutes to an hour......

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #2,605 of 3,739
The original question was a fair one.......what are your credentials?
Head Fi and the internet are filled with people who have a strong opinion and little or no technical knowledge.
The Scinece forum is filled with people trying to save us from ourselves....
rolleyes.gif

OTOH, I suspect there is something seriously flawed in the DBT model, I suspect auditory long term memory can be quite good, however this is not the forum for DBT debates so I should take my own advice and let it drop.....

While I'm not a big believer in burn-in, I do believe some equipment does sound better after warmed up for 30 minutes to an hour......

Well I stated what I can, anything else including DNA samples are out of the question.
biggrin.gif

Anything that I stated can be found in Electrical Engineering reference material and text books, feel free to look these things up as these are not written by "people who have a strong opinion and little or no technical knowledge." I've stated in one way or another that anyone is free to believe any of the myths as it may please them, I've only stated my professional case which you are free to accept or reject.
Yes some equipment works better after a warm up period but this is far from an extended burn in period. I doubt that any well designed SS amp requires much of any warmup period.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #2,606 of 3,739
  Well I stated what I can, anything else including DNA samples are out of the question.
biggrin.gif

Anything that I stated can be found in Electrical Engineering reference material and text books, feel free to look these things up as these are not written by "people who have a strong opinion and little or no technical knowledge." I've stated in one way or another that anyone is free to believe any of the myths as it may please them, I've only stated my professional case which you are free to accept or reject.
Yes some equipment works better after a warm up period but this is far from an extended burn in period. I doubt that any well designed SS amp requires much of any warmup period.

Not too sure what I have said that falls into the classification of a myth?  
confused_face_2.gif

I can't find any reference to that thing that I will not name again in any of my texts.  That gets into the realm of psychology anyway.....................

Man are we off topic.
redface.gif

Back on topic, I think my E12 is great for what it is $120.00
Discuss among yourselves.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #2,607 of 3,739

Not too sure what I have said that falls into the classification of a myth?  
confused_face_2.gif

I can't find any reference to that thing that I will not name again in any of my texts.  That gets into the realm of psychology anyway.....................

Man are we off topic.
redface.gif

Back on topic, I think my E12 is great for what it is $120.00
Discuss among yourselves.

Back on topic.....My E12 and E18 will be on the bus with me tomorrow. Man is it going to be cold, I think I'll take my on ear Momentums and use them double duty, headphones/ear muffs.
I have a pair of Sony XBA-3's that work much better with an amp, and they usually commute with me.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #2,609 of 3,739
to change the subject... I just made this. I like doing leatherwork as a hobby. Just waiting for my 6 inch 3.5mm cable :)

Looks great!
Colour me envious!
Dumb question, what's that thing on the outside?

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #2,610 of 3,739
Looks great!
Colour me envious!
Dumb question, what's that thing on the outside?

The round one is a larger headphone jack. I plan on using this setup with the Alpha Dogs, and the standard cable on those does not have a 3.5mm headphone jack. The square black thing is a Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox firmware installed on it. It's my DAC. It's small and cheap, but very good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O6B/
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Blue/dp/B002MAPSC6
http://www.rockbox.org/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back