FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 3, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #2,551 of 3,739
Jan 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #2,552 of 3,739
Yeah it's just that from what I read those common cables seemed a bit cumbersome when trying to connect it to an iPod with headphones plugged in.. Hmm I will have to keep researching.. I definitely want to get the E12 though, the cable at this point is my main concern, although I suppose it's not super important, it won't be kept in my pocket

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2,555 of 3,739
Cool, yeah I don't mind that so much, as long as it's really a significant improvement from E11. I'd love a shorter length L3 but I won't be keeping it in my pocket for any duration really. Still.. Not ideal but hey..

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #2,556 of 3,739
Yeah I want to get the E12... What about the cable to attach an iPod classic? Which configuration is best   

I have an 160GB IP classic that I use with an E12.  IMO it's essential to use an LOD.  Ordered a Fiio L9 (considered their best, only cost $8-9 bucks) from the same company at the same time I ordered my E12.  I use HD600's w/Cardas cable or UE TF10's w/HPL cable.  I've been into audio/good sound for over 30 yrs, this rig satisfies me completely!  As far as those complaining about the button layout and the way the cable lies, I really don't see it as a problem....at all! 

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #2,557 of 3,739
Yeah I saw it with the L9, I think I kinda like the L3 better.. I almost wonder if I could find some kind of strap or coil that can go around the headphone and L3 cable.. Just getting nitpicky though :p

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #2,558 of 3,739
I have the L3 for some time already. The E12 has a very strong grip on the cable, so does the Ipod Classic as the cable is locked into place and has two release buttons. I actually lift the E12/Ipod package using this cable as a grip, when pulling it out of my shirt pocket. Very convenient. And as all my headphones come with a right angled device plug, there is no cable hassle at all for me, you just need to get used to it.
Sound wise all of my headphones benefit from the pure power of the E12, especially in the bass section, even at low volumes. The E12 is so good that I even ordered the E12DIY limited edition to be able to roll opamps and buffs....

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #2,559 of 3,739
  I have the L3 for some time already. The E12 has a very strong grip on the cable, so does the Ipod Classic as the cable is locked into place and has two release buttons. I actually lift the E12/Ipod package using this cable as a grip, when pulling it out of my shirt pocket. Very convenient. And as all my headphones come with a right angled device plug, there is no cable hassle at all for me, you just need to get used to it.
Sound wise all of my headphones benefit from the pure power of the E12, especially in the bass section, even at low volumes. The E12 is so good that I even ordered the E12DIY limited edition to be able to roll opamps and buffs....

If you like the bass boost switch, I believe the E12DIY doesn't have one. Rolling opamps is probably a waste of time, unless you want to and have fun tinkering. If I remember the stock opamps have low distortion and the greatest output power/voltage.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #2,560 of 3,739
  If you like the bass boost switch, I believe the E12DIY doesn't have one. Rolling opamps is probably a waste of time, unless you want to and have fun tinkering. If I remember the stock opamps have low distortion and the greatest output power/voltage.

If the original E12 is the greatest ever, FiiO wouldn't have bother with E12DIY in the first place. You can think of E12 is a mixed breed horse that is meant to balanced endurance, speed and pulling power, but E12DIY is meant to be a purebred for the best speed possible. There are better opamp than the one in stock E12. Of course, not everyone need the fastest horse around.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #2,563 of 3,739

If the original E12 is the greatest ever, FiiO wouldn't have bother with E12DIY in the first place. You can think of E12 is a mixed breed horse that is meant to balanced endurance, speed and pulling power, but E12DIY is meant to be a purebred for the best speed possible. There are better opamp than the one in stock E12. Of course, not everyone need the fastest horse around.

Since the E12 is a closed loop negative feedback design and the distortion levels of all combinations of opamps in the DIY are far below a human's ability to perceive, I'd think that the main thing to look out for is the drive capabilities. As I remember, the stock configuration contains the opamps with the best drive capabilities from the DIY. Are there any significant differences in transient distortion, probably not as most of these amps have more than enough of a slew rate as not to be an issue in the audio band. I'd categorize the DIY as a fun tinker as you will gadget for those who just want to have fun fooling around with their kit.
Edit:I noticed a difference in output drive specs using the "OPA1611 and LME49600" for both stock and DIY products that amounts to about 1.8 dB at 300 Ohms. Is this FiiO slipping up on their paperwork?

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2,564 of 3,739
The idea of all amp sounds equally transparent is only possible when each and every amp is individually optimized perfectly to sound transparent to the load. Theoretically nice but practically not easy. Adding a bass boost could add some distortion, adding crossfeed might take away space that could better lay out the circuit to improve separation. Thus there is the question of whether the circuit is truly optimized or not. While it should be that the E12 is good beyond "human's ability to perceive", same can be said to O2 or C5. But if you volume match them in a blind test, there is still possible to tell them apart. Well, at least I can when I did the test awhile back.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2,565 of 3,739
What I usally do is take a spring from an old pen and wrap it around the cable knid of like this pic

Yeah that's a good idea.. I meant more along the lines of something that could wrap around the L3 and headphone cable.. Something to just keep the wires nice and tight and organized. I could just look around a craft store for something, I'm sure there's something I could use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back