FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Dec 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #2,536 of 3,739
  Thanks for your input!!!
The reason for selecting the e17 is firstly I like the warmer signature of the wolfson dac...
I'm kind of a basshead but I also like my mids and highs...
It also has a optical in which the e18 doesn't...
Plus I want to get an e9 later on for a desktop solution...or maybe a vali and mangi...
Kogan in Australia offers the HD650 for $350 with waranty so that's going to be my next purchase...
I hear the e18 is not as warm sounding as the e17...
I have been thinking about this combo for some time now but couldn't find anyone who has actually done it...

Warmer,there's opinion's either way,you'll have to trust your own ears. Wow an HD650 for $350 sounds like a great deal.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2,537 of 3,739
  Warmer,there's opinion's either way,you'll have to trust your own ears. Wow an HD650 for $350 sounds like a great deal.

Yeah it is..
I think I'm gonna get the combo...
Whats the worst that's gonna happen I won't like the e17(cuz I love the e12)...
And if that does happen I'd still have a dac to use with the e9k so I'll get it...
Thanks for your input...
And if you do want a hd650 i think kogan ships worldwide...

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #2,538 of 3,739
  Yeah it is..
I think I'm gonna get the combo...
Whats the worst that's gonna happen I won't like the e17(cuz I love the e12)...
And if that does happen I'd still have a dac to use with the e9k so I'll get it...
Thanks for your input...
And if you do want a hd650 i think kogan ships worldwide...

Enjoy the new kit. My wallet is going to take some time off for now, I just got an HE-500 6 days ago and I also have to give the new cans some undivided attention, 
happy_face1.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #2,540 of 3,739
  Enjoy the new kit. My wallet is going to take some time off for now, I just got an HE-500 6 days ago and I also have to give the new cans some undivided attention, 
happy_face1.gif

I'm actually getting momentums in a few days(YAY) so I wont get the amp/dac now ill get it a few weeks later...
I hear great things about the HE-600 hope you like them....
Oh maybe you can help me out does the e17 work with the note3???
I have a s3 now but I'll get the note 3 very soon...

Get the hd 600 instead......if you get a deal....better then hd 650.

Isn't the 650 warmer???
I like my cans to be warm...

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #2,541 of 3,739

I'm actually getting momentums in a few days(YAY) so I wont get the amp/dac now ill get it a few weeks later...
I hear great things about the HE-600 hope you like them....
Oh maybe you can help me out does the e17 work with the note3???
I have a s3 now but I'll get the note 3 very soon...

Isn't the 650 warmer???
I like my cans to be warm...

In my pile of cans lays a pair of over ear Momentums, you will probably like them as long as they make it comfortably around your ears. They are easily driven and can hang off a phone or DAP. There's a thread on USB DACs and Android. The below is a snippit of something that I found in that thread in a downloadable file about the Note3.

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note3:

stock Samsung Galaxy Note3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
:
:
. FiiO E17 (USB DAC/amp):
http://www.headfonia.com/the-upgrade-fiio-e17-alpen/

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2,542 of 3,739
  In my pile of cans lays a pair of over ear Momentums, you will probably like them as long as they make it comfortably around your ears. They are easily driven and can hang off a phone or DAP. There's a thread on USB DACs and Android. The below is a snippit of something that I found in that thread in a downloadable file about the Note3.

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note3:

stock Samsung Galaxy Note3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
:
:
. FiiO E17 (USB DAC/amp):
http://www.headfonia.com/the-upgrade-fiio-e17-alpen/

Thanks StanD...
I've used the momentum before through my s3 and I couldn't reach proper volume levels...
I searched the forums and found out that it's a problem a lot of people had and was fixed using an amp...

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #2,543 of 3,739
  Thanks StanD...
I've used the momentum before through my s3 and I couldn't reach proper volume levels...
I searched the forums and found out that it's a problem a lot of people had and was fixed using an amp...

I have the US version of the S3 and it is loud enough, The International version is of a different design whihc has the Wolfson DAC. Which software did you use to listen with? Poweramp has a preamp setting and if it's turned down you might experience something like you reported.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #2,544 of 3,739
I have the US version of the S3 and it is loud enough, The International version is of a different design whihc has the Wolfson DAC. Which software did you use to listen with? Poweramp has a preamp setting and if it's turned down you might experience something like you reported.

I have the international version so the wolfson dac...
I use the stock player cuz I like it the most...
I find that the bass and treble are both better extended in the stock player compared to poweramp whick I do have...
Plus I love eqing my mueic and I find that the stock player is easy and effective...

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #2,546 of 3,739
I have the international version so the wolfson dac...
I use the stock player cuz I like it the most...
I find that the bass and treble are both better extended in the stock player compared to poweramp whick I do have...
Plus I love eqing my mueic and I find that the stock player is easy and effective...

If it works for you and you're happy you're good to go. Most people that have used Poweramp think differently. The best EQ is with NeutronMP, it's parametric, harder to use and has a terrible user interface but sounds great.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #2,547 of 3,739
Yeah Neutron is an excellent PE out there especially if you tweak the settings very properly.Poweamp is good as well when it comes EQ league but Neutron excels in shaping the proper sound......you need to spend some extra time and fiddle around to settle to suit yours......

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,548 of 3,739
Hey I'm thinking of getting an E12 to use with my iPod Classic 7th gen - using Beyerdynamic DT 770's - just curious what cable people are using for this.. all I keep seeing is how there is no good cable configuration... have we found a better setup?

I'm still trying to decide between E11 and E12 for my DT770's

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #2,549 of 3,739
  Hey I'm thinking of getting an E12 to use with my iPod Classic 7th gen - using Beyerdynamic DT 770's - just curious what cable people are using for this.. all I keep seeing is how there is no good cable configuration... have we found a better setup?

I'm still trying to decide between E11 and E12 for my DT770's

If you can get the E12, do it. You can't use the E11 while the battery is charging, however, the E12 can charge and operate at the same time. Although you can change the battery for the E11, you would have to get a spare and external charger. Also the E12 is built much better, is more powerful and has a better sounding bass boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back