FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Apr 14, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #2,791 of 3,739
Mine was hot only the first charge using my phones 1.2A charger. Since then it's cool.

Not really a problem anymore (my E12 is perfect really), only a matter of curiosity:

Do you use your E12 as a desktop amp as well, like do you leave it plugged in and turned on for days?

I used a 2.4A USB wall charger, and it didn't get hot when charging while turned off. It's weird. But maybe because it was already partially charged? I'll try again when it's drained.

At full charge, when turned off, the E12 shows a stable charge light. When turned on, the charge light is stable for an hour or so, then it starts to blink slowly. Then it doesn't stop blinking and gets a bit warm after 10 or so hours, definitely not as hot as before when used right after the battery was almost drained. It's really mildly warm, like benchwarmed-bench warm, my Galaxy Nexus gets scorching hot when using GPS in comparison. I'm just trying to determine why when using it after a full charge, it goes on to a slow charge while plugged in. I thought the battery isn't used when running on power?

I'll test again to make sure if the E12 gets a bit warm when running on battery. That means it's normal operation and not related to charging.

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #2,792 of 3,739
I do use my E12 as a desktop amp and as a console amp.

Difference is, I use it without a USB plugged in most of the time. Reason being I do have the older model where charging and using at the same time contributes to hiss, which I do not like. The battery lasts like 10 hours or so anyways, so there's no reason to for me at least to keep it plugged in all the time.

It does get warm, which is entirely normal. Not an issue, trust me. I've handled other portable amps which are twice hotter than the E12, yet they work fine.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #2,793 of 3,739
No, I don't use my E12 in a desktop situation as I charge the battery and fully cycle. Though I do listen while plugged into power with no problems. I will try this weekend to have some extensive time to see if mine does like yours and begin to drain then charge while powered on. I too thought the USB circuit kept charge and operational power separate..hmm...

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #2,795 of 3,739
Return it. That should not be happening.
It is a powerful well built unit that doesn't come with hissing as a
"gee can't help that but everything else is fine".
Like a sz earpad or a q40 cord.
That's a defective unit.
Mail them and return it.
It shouldn't do it if you bought a new one through an approved vendor.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,799 of 3,739
  Just got the E12 and there's quite some audible hissing going on with my SD-1 even when not charging. What the heck?

Strangely the hissing gets quieter after the unit is running for a few minutes. I can then only hear it in a quiet room. Normal unit or is it really defective?

i know this may be a stupid question, but what gain do you have it on?

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2,803 of 3,739
First, finally I changed my ID from feiao to JamesFiiO. and I can still keep all my posts in the past years.

About the bass boost feature in Mont Blanc, we decide to change the design, as you can see , the current frequency response is as below

The curve of the new bass boost will change to the red line

it means the center frequency of the bass boost will move from 20Hz to 50Hz, compare with the bass boost in E11, the center frequency is about 70Hz.

The reason that some people does not feel very good about the bass boost in Mont Blanc is because there are very few bass less than 50hz so the bass

boost does not really help to enhance the bass in most song tracks. 
-_-... That leaks a lot into the mids... Lol. That keeps boosting until the middle of the midrange... That's a mid/bass boost...

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #2,804 of 3,739
-_-... That leaks a lot into the mids... Lol. That keeps boosting until the middle of the midrange... That's a mid/bass boost...

You're referring to the red line (production E12), and not the blue line (1st iteration), correct?

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2,805 of 3,739
  Could be a case of Electromagnetic interference (EMI) if there are any smartphones around.
3G data causes more interference than WI-FI, if I remember correctly from my tests with E12.

Is it a bad idea to stream music when using the E12? I take public transportation and I notice I sometimes get a lot of hissing and pops when streaming iTunes radio. I was not sure if it was interference from other phones, Wi-Fi or something else causing the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back