FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 13, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #2,686 of 3,739
  Haha, this is going to drive you nutz. Now you're going to have to find that hissing snake even if it's the last thing that you do. Or just fawget about it.
biggrin.gif

No, I'm done!

Good decision. You may now return to enjoying your regularly scheduled music. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #2,687 of 3,739
Good decision. You may now return to enjoying your regularly scheduled music. 

LOL!
At least I didn't waste much time listening to ssssssssssssss.
I must admit I spent more time just listening to my regularly scheduled music than I did listening to, um, essentially Nothing!:p

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #2,688 of 3,739
Weird. I've used the e12 with the SE535 some more. The hiss is always there and i have the amp set to 0 db gain. The hiss is most noticable when the volume pot is at zero. The hiss get's fainter the more the volume pot is turned. I also have som crackling sound when turning the pot.

The E12 is nice with the SE535 because of the bass boost feature :)

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #2,689 of 3,739
  Weird. I've used the e12 with the SE535 some more. The hiss is always there and i have the amp set to 0 db gain. The hiss is most noticable when the volume pot is at zero. The hiss get's fainter the more the volume pot is turned. I also have som crackling sound when turning the pot.

The E12 is nice with the SE535 because of the bass boost feature :)

That doesn't sounds right. I assume by saying 0dB you mean low gain. Let's see what other SE535 owners have to say. I believe the hiss is usually constant irregardless of volume position. Do you have a source connected to the input when testing this?

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #2,690 of 3,739
The hiss is there with or without a source connected. I mean low gain.
Maybe i'll take it back to the shop and try another E12 and see if it's my unit that has the problem.

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #2,691 of 3,739
That doesn't sounds right. I assume by saying 0dB you mean low gain. Let's see what other SE535 owners have to say. I believe the hiss is usually constant irregardless of volume position. Do you have a source connected to the input when testing this?

If the hiss is constant irregardless of volume, then it is probably a noisy E12.

If it was a noisy source, then the hiss would drop as the volume control was decreased.

Don't ask me, Stan.
I think we've agreed that I'm OCD!:p

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,692 of 3,739

If the hiss is constant irregardless of volume, then it is probably a noisy E12.

If it was a noisy source, then the hiss would drop as the volume control was decreased.

Don't ask me, Stan.
I think we've agreed that I'm OCD!
tongue.gif

If you don't have anything plugged in and the pot is at the input the noise should be constant. If there's a noisy source then the what you say about lowering the volume is true. I inferred from what poster said that the noise decreased when the pot was turned up, which doesn't make sense,unless there's something wrong with his E12. Perhaps he didn't say which way he turned it.
My E12 is dead quiet, perhaps I don't have anything as sensitive as the SE535. I'm too lazy to look it up now, just shoveled last night's slush,
OCD, my wife can get OCD bigtime. 
eek.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2,693 of 3,739
If you don't have anything plugged in and the pot is at the input the noise should be constant. If there's a noisy source then the what you say about lowering the volume is true. I inferred from what poster said that the noise decreased when the pot was turned up, which doesn't make sense,unless there's something wrong with his E12. Perhaps he didn't say which way he turned it.
My E12 is dead quiet, perhaps I don't have anything as sensitive as the SE535. I'm too lazy to look it up now, just shoveled last night's slush,
OCD, my wife can get OCD bigtime. :eek:

Where you at?

I'm just outside Toronto, it's been an unusually harsh winter.
Usually we have freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, etc.
But it's been below freezing for weeks on end.

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #2,694 of 3,739
The hiss is constant with or without a source connected. The hiss is louder at low volume for some reason. The decreases some when turning the volume up. 
The problem isn't that noticable when playing music, but it's pretty noticable when a song breaks down to one intstrument.

I'll probably take it back to the dealer to get them to check it.

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #2,695 of 3,739
The hiss is constant with or without a source connected. The hiss is louder at low volume for some reason. The decreases some when turning the volume up. 
The problem isn't that noticable when playing music, but it's pretty noticable when a song breaks down to one intstrument.

I'll probably take it back to the dealer to get them to check it.

Speaking as an Electrical Engineer who used to design Analog Signal processing gear.......that is bizarre.
Depending on where the volume control is in the E12 circuit, it should either drop as volume is decreased or stay constant.:confused_face_2:

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #2,696 of 3,739
I just tried another pair of IEM's and it's the same thing just a little lower.

When i turn it on with the volume at minimum it's most noticable. I we say minimum is 7 o'clock, the change in hiss occurs at 11 o'clock. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #2,697 of 3,739
I just tried another pair of IEM's and it's the same thing just a little lower.

When i turn it on with the volume at minimum it's most noticable. I we say minimum is 7 o'clock, the change in hiss occurs at 11 o'clock. 

Sumthin' screwed up.
Maybe a bum volume control in the E12.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,698 of 3,739
Speaking as an Electrical Engineer who used to design Analog Signal processing gear.......that is bizarre.
Depending on where the volume control is in the E12 circuit, it should either drop as volume is decreased or stay constant.
confused_face_2.gif

Unless the volume control has a reverse taper and it's in the feedback loop but due to a fault it's ground leg is floating, but then again the volume control would not function properly either.
I think it's time for warranty service.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #2,699 of 3,739
Unless the volume control has a reverse taper and it's in the feedback loop but due to a fault it's ground leg is floating, but then again the volume control would not function properly either.
I think it's time for warranty service.

It is my professional opinion that his sample is fubared.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #2,700 of 3,739
It is my professional opinion that his sample is fubared.

Wrong end of the Bell Curve. So on Monday I get to find out if my Bifrost works with the USB on my GS3. My Backup plan is to use my Fiio E18 as a USB to Coax SPDIF converter in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back