FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #2,671 of 3,739
I'm a huge fan of the E12 - but I wonder if any 'future' versions can have a switch for 50 or 100 hz boost instead of the crossfeed option. The DIY don't have any bass boost, but can users modify it to have a similar effect? I have no experience with playing around with the chips.

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2,672 of 3,739
Just got my E12 yesterday. Works great with my DT880 250ohm. 
But i have one issue when using it with Shure SE535. I have constant background hiss/noise. This is even noticable when playing music with moderate volume. Is this just how it is or is it something faulty with my unit?

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #2,673 of 3,739
  Just got my E12 yesterday. Works great with my DT880 250ohm. 
But i have one issue when using it with Shure SE535. I have constant background hiss/noise. This is even noticable when playing music with moderate volume. Is this just how it is or is it something faulty with my unit?

What happens when you plug DT880 directly into the source? Is it a clean sound?

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #2,674 of 3,739
I get clean sound on both headphones from the same source (Galaxy Note2) The hiss i get with the SE535 is there even without a source connected.

Feb 12, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2,675 of 3,739
The E12 appears to have been designed as a powerful amp for power hungry headphones.
I'm not surprised, my E12 and my E17 are both too noisy for my Shure IEMs.

I'm going to have to try all my amps again with IEMs.
E12 is good, E17 has some bzzzzzzzz.

My best headphone amp for IEMs is my iBasso D12!

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #2,676 of 3,739
  I get clean sound on both headphones from the same source (Galaxy Note2) The hiss i get with the SE535 is there even without a source connected.

Are you sure the Gain setting isn't on?
Otherwise, SE535 may just be too sensitive at 119dB SPL/mW.
Why would you even need an amplifier for such sensitive IEM?

How does SE535 sound through E12 when connected to a DAC?
Smartphone/tablet output is always pretty noisy, even if you can't hear it.
When that noise gets amplified by E12, then you can suddenly hear it.

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,677 of 3,739
The E12 appears to have been designed as a powerful amp for power hungry headphones.
I'm not surprised, my E12 and my E17 are both too noisy for my Shure IEMs.

My best headphone amp for IEMs is my iBasso D12!

E12 noisy?  Even with the gain on low?

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,678 of 3,739

I'll have to try the E12 out again with my Shure IEMs, but I seem to remember the noise was just a faint bbbzzzzzzzz.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2,679 of 3,739

I'll have to try the E12 out again with my Shure IEMs, but I seem to remember the noise was just a faint bbbzzzzzzzz.

My Sony XBA-3's are quiet on the E12.
Try yours on low gain and report back..... Damn things are pretty sensitive, 119dB SPL/mW at 36 Ohms.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #2,681 of 3,739
Damn!
I don't know what I was thinking, E12 is quiet with Shure IEMs.
Gain is 0dB.

I must be thinking of either my FiiO E09K or the Matrix M Stage.
I seem to remember at least two of my amps had some bzzzzz and/or hissssss. The E17 and ........another one.
It is possible that I tried this on the Matrix with the gain on 10dB (which is where I normally leave it).
I never use high gain on the E09K.

Anyway, something to try tonight.

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #2,682 of 3,739
Damn!
I don't know what I was thinking, E12 is quiet with Shure IEMs.
Gain is 0dB.

I must be thinking of either my FiiO E09K or the Matrix M Stage.
I seem to remember at least two of my amps had some bzzzzz and/or hissssss. The E17 and ........another one.
It is possible that I tried this on the Matrix with the gain on 10dB (which is where I normally leave it).
I never use high gain on the E09K.

Anyway, something to try tonight.

Maybe it's the Little Dot, it's a tube amp and they can have a Little Dot bit of noise.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #2,683 of 3,739
  Maybe it's the Little Dot, it's a tube amp and they can have a Little Dot bit of noise.

Maybe I'm completely insane......
confused_face_2.gif

All these "tests" were performed after setting the volume to a reasonable listening level,
source is always from a computer via USB,
headphones are always Shure SE210 IEMs,
gains are all set to 0 dB:

Trying E12 driven from the iBasso D12 DAC line out jack...........very quiet, i.e. can't hear no stinkin' noise!

Let's try the E17 VIA USB input while it's Charging........basically very quiet, but has a very faint bzzzz! Easily ignored!        I was using this as an Amp + DAC.

The iBasso D12 headphone jack via USB while it's Charging.........another quiet amp + DAC

Matrix M Stage headphone amp, driven from iBasso DAC line out jack, a very faint bzzzz, independent of volume.  Hiss is inaudible at a reasonable volume level.

One more:
FiiO E09K driven by iBasso DAC line out................very quiet.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #2,684 of 3,739

Maybe I'm completely insane......
confused_face_2.gif

All these "tests" were performed after setting the volume to a reasonable listening level,
source is always from a computer via USB,
headphones are always Shure SE210 IEMs,
gains are all set to 0 dB:

Trying E12 driven from the iBasso D12 DAC line out jack...........very quiet, i.e. can't hear no stinkin' noise!

Let's try the E17 VIA USB input while it's Charging........basically very quiet, but has a very faint bzzzz! Easily ignored!        I was using this as an Amp + DAC.

The iBasso D12 headphone jack via USB while it's Charging.........another quiet amp + DAC

Matrix M Stage headphone amp, driven from iBasso DAC line out jack, a very faint bzzzz, independent of volume.  Hiss is inaudible at a reasonable volume level.

Haha, this is going to drive you nutz. Now you're going to have to find that hissing snake even if it's the last thing that you do. Or just fawget about it.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #2,685 of 3,739
  Haha, this is going to drive you nutz. Now you're going to have to find that hissing snake even if it's the last thing that you do. Or just fawget about it.
biggrin.gif

No, I'm done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back