FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Mar 6, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #1,531 of 3,739
Gain setting has no real effect on energy usage (battery drain).

Battery drain is related to how much power you are driving into the headphones.

See? I'm only intermediate, lol. It just seemed likely that if between two gain settings with the volume dial (and apparent dial) the volume is louder on high gain, it would've used more energy from the battery. Nothing for free, and all that. But I defer to Chris J on the technical stuff.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #1,532 of 3,739
Quote:
See? I'm only intermediate, lol. It just seemed likely that if between two gain settings with the volume dial (and apparent dial) the volume is louder on high gain, it would've used more energy from the battery. Nothing for free, and all that. But I defer to Chris J on the technical stuff.

LoL, still better than me. Gonna be getting my 1st amp in the next weeks and i thought gain was "grain" before. haha More grain = more noise have no idea why it makes me think that way. LMAO

So my days of going commando is up it seems.
biggrin.gif
Counting my days, cuz once you get ampped i think it's hard to go back to stock, no???

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #1,533 of 3,739
Received a pair of Sony mdr-1r and Audio Technica ath-ad900X headphones. Burning them in for 24 hours before I compare with E12.

Both are incredible headphones in different many.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #1,534 of 3,739
Yeah, I understand, and I agree with the policy too so that the forum doesn't (usually) get plagued by spam. I wrote reviews of my personal equipment just for fun, but it kinda bugged me that some random store used my youtube video (and Gavin's blog reviews). I'm not too worried about it though: of course I'm still displayed as the author, and it seems only a few people have watched it through that store's site. Just sort of the nature of putting content out in the public, I guess. It feels weird to be quoted by strangers.
Lol Steven Huff isn't objective either, at least for the most part. I was in the photography world before actually working as a traveling portrait photographer killed my interest and music (alongside gaming) became my new pastime, and that was where I first heard of Ken. People there poo-poo'd him as a Nikon fanboy, and I don't take his word as hard truth, BUT he has tried a lot of stuff and sometimes makes a good point. I appreciate his effort, even if I don't always agree with him. Usually an entertaining read anyway.

I noticed that too that our reviews had appeared elsewhere. My review on my wordpress blog, gavinsgadgets, is also totally free of advertising which I paid WordPress to remove. And yet others benefit. Not fair IMO.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #1,535 of 3,739

Ohhhhhhhhh.
I should have given a more detailed answer.

Assuming you are not changing headphones:

Let's say you are listening to your 'phones at a quiet volume with gain set at low.
If you change the gain to high, without changing the volume settings then obviously the SPL at you ears will be much louder. In this case, yes, more energy (power) and your batteries drain faster on high gain.

But if you try to compare sound of low gain to high gain and you adjust volume up and down to compensate for change in gain so that SPL at your ears remains the same, then, rate of battery drain remains unchanged.

Rate of battery drain is related to the actual power used. I had assumed that you turn the volume down when you increase the gain because that's what I do if I am NOT swapping headphones around, i.e. I am NOT going from a quiet headphone ((like the AKG Q701) to a loud headphone (like an IEM), I amm sticking to ONE headphone and comparing effect of gain on that headphone.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,537 of 3,739
Now how has both the E12 and the C&C BH because I want to know just how much better is the C&C BH over the E12.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,538 of 3,739
Quote:
If anyone is wondering how the E12 works with the Sony MDR-1R and Audio Technica ATH-AD900x the answer is obvious
wink.gif

Hmmm.
One eye closed, the other eye open!

They put you half to sleep?
Or the E12 makes one eyelid swell up so you can't see out of it?
Or the headphones make you wink?

OK, I give up. Tell me!
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,539 of 3,739
Hmmm.
One eye closed, the other eye open!

They put you half to sleep?
Or the E12 makes one eyelid swell up so you can't see out of it?
Or the headphones make you wink?

OK, I give up. Tell me! :D

Both cans have only had 6 hours burn in. The Sony's have changed the most so far. But here's my literal first impression with the E12.

Audio Technica ath-ad900x - stunning out of the box with the E12. Blows cobwebs out of the music. Depth. Rhythm. Attack and staging. Never heard anything so good.

Sony MDR-1R - the E12 keeps the neutrality of the Sony's. Adds tremendous impact, weight, clarity and imaging. I plugged the Sony's into my iPhone 5 and they sounded flat in comparison. Even though the Sony's are not bass heavy I'm toying between bass off of on sometimes

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,540 of 3,739
Mar 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #1,541 of 3,739
Quote:
Both cans have only had 6 hours burn in. The Sony's have changed the most so far. But here's my literal first impression with the E12.

Audio Technica ath-ad900x - stunning out of the box with the E12. Blows cobwebs out of the music. Depth. Rhythm. Attack and staging. Never heard anything so good.

Sony MDR-1R - the E12 keeps the neutrality of the Sony's. Adds tremendous impact, weight, clarity and imaging. I plugged the Sony's into my iPhone 5 and they sounded flat in comparison. Even though the Sony's are not bass heavy I'm toying between bass off of on sometimes

Nice!
Very nice!
Interesting comments about the iPhone 5!

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #1,542 of 3,739

Quote:

Sweet combo huh! I am very grateful that dsnuts convinced me to get the ad900x, and that pngwn convinced me to get the e12 to pair up with them
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #1,543 of 3,739
Ohhhhhhhhh.
I should have given a more detailed answer.

Assuming you are not changing headphones:

Let's say you are listening to your 'phones at a quiet volume with gain set at low.
If you change the gain to high, without changing the volume settings then obviously the SPL at you ears will be much louder. In this case, yes, more energy (power) and your batteries drain faster on high gain.

But if you try to compare sound of low gain to high gain and you adjust volume up and down to compensate for change in gain so that SPL at your ears remains the same, then, rate of battery drain remains unchanged.

Rate of battery drain is related to the actual power used. I had assumed that you turn the volume down when you increase the gain because that's what I do if I am NOT swapping headphones around, i.e. I am NOT going from a quiet headphone ((like the AKG Q701) to a loud headphone (like an IEM), I amm sticking to ONE headphone and comparing effect of gain on that headphone.

My philosophy on changing gain: keep on the lowest gain setting unless my headphones are too quiet at max volume, if that is the case turn down the volume first (to protect hearing), then switch up the gain, then turn up the volume to listening level. Since the Q701s are at my listening volume before the volume is turned up halfway, I haven't even tried listening to music on high gain. I do hope that a local head-fi'er will make an audition-swap with me and his DT880s, which are the 250 ohm version. I think he's more interested in hearing/using the E12 though :wink:

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,544 of 3,739
Quote:
My philosophy on changing gain: keep on the lowest gain setting unless my headphones are too quiet at max volume, if that is the case turn down the volume first (to protect hearing), then switch up the gain, then turn up the volume to listening level. Since the Q701s are at my listening volume before the volume is turned up halfway, I haven't even tried listening to music on high gain. I do hope that a local head-fi'er will make an audition-swap with me and his DT880s, which are the 250 ohm version. I think he's more interested in hearing/using the E12 though
wink.gif

Hey!
That's what I do!
Quit stealing my ideas!
wink_face.gif

Seriously, nicely put. Thanks for the post.
Most of my head amps are set to minimum gain too.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #1,545 of 3,739
Chris J,
I noticed you take off your aluminum/tin hat when you go to the grocery store. On balance, I would say that's not a bad choice because the potatoes are particularly frightened by tin foil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back