FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #1,517 of 2,501
Hello. here is a question about the M9's volume wheel Adjustable Line Out. I always thought a dac put out a constant voltage which the 'next in line' amplifier then controls the volume. What is the purpose of having an amplifier within the M9 if the Line Out Voltage can also be adjusted from Min to Max. Also, if someone would know, would the same 'detail' be present no matter what level the adjustable DAC would be at or is it better to be on maximum all the time and let an external amp take care of the volume control if one chooses to use an external amp?
My particular usage (Not ideal, I know) is to use the Line Out split to 2 Fiio A5 amps then to 2 HD650s for shared listening. If there is no detail lost while controlling the Line Out Adjustment then it would, in essence, be a volume control for both amps simultaneously?

thanks for reading. the M9 and A5 really do shine....for me anyhow.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #1,518 of 2,501
M9 have problems working simultaneously with WiFi and Bluetooth. Feeding Edifier MP700 from tidal (apt-x) I got cuts and sometimes no sound coming from the speakers. If the screen go off the next song will not sound until the screen its active again. Disappointed.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #1,519 of 2,501
M9 have problems working simultaneously with WiFi and Bluetooth. Feeding Edifier MP700 from tidal (apt-x) I got cuts and sometimes no sound coming from the speakers. If the screen go off the next song will not sound until the screen its active again. Disappointed.
Yes!!! This is a big issue for me also... I'm connected to my home WiFi and streaming tidal then bluetooth ldac to a earsone es100 and Everytime the song ends I have to turn the screen on again or press the next or skip track button to make the next song play...

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #1,520 of 2,501
Yes!!! This is a big issue for me also... I'm connected to my home WiFi and streaming tidal then bluetooth ldac to a earsone es100 and Everytime the song ends I have to turn the screen on again or press the next or skip track button to make the next song play...
Let me say that this does not happen on Spotify but I'm using tidal now because of the higher quality...I wondered what this could be?????

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #1,521 of 2,501
Let me say that this does not happen on Spotify but I'm using tidal now because of the higher quality...I wondered what this could be?????
I've had it happen on Spotify all the time if the song isn't cache'd. It's been mentioned several times earlier in the thread. The WiFi and Bluetooth chips don't play well together on high quality Bluetooth codecs. With LDAC, if you knock the settings down to best connection rather than best quality, the issue stops.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #1,522 of 2,501
I've had it happen on Spotify all the time if the song isn't cache'd. It's been mentioned several times earlier in the thread. The WiFi and Bluetooth chips don't play well together on high quality Bluetooth codecs. With LDAC, if you knock the settings down to best connection rather than best quality, the issue stops.
I'm not sure we are talking about the same issue here... Yes I've had to scale down to a connection first ldac to get a good uninterrupted connection while using WiFi but this is not the issue I'm taking about... I'm saying that when I'm playing an album on tidal it stops and then I have to press the on button or next song button to make the music start playing again

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #1,523 of 2,501
I'm not sure we are talking about the same issue here... Yes I've had to scale down to a connection first ldac to get a good uninterrupted connection while using WiFi but this is not the issue I'm taking about... I'm saying that when I'm playing an album on tidal it stops and then I have to press the on button or next song button to make the music start playing again

Oh right. Sorry, must've mis-read your post.

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #1,525 of 2,501
@FiiO Short question regarding SPDIF. The SPDIF seems not to outpot 24 bit although the tracks have 24 bit. I am using the Fiio Music app and the app shows it correctly as 96 kHz and 24 bits. While the 96 kHz are handed over to the DAC the 24 bit are not. Any chance it is somewhere in the settings to change this?

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #1,526 of 2,501
Hi! I have some problems with the fiio music app.
When I try to play J.Coltrane blue train album.. yellow led from HR turn on but didn't play anything.. or directly the app crashes, or when I try to select the song tap tap tap.. do nothing at all.
This is annoying because I try with the same card in my android phone with foobar and plays album smoothly, in my old laptop with same player not a problem either. I change tthe card.. the same. I reset the fiio music player.. nothing.. reset the fiio m9 nothing.

One song if you want to try, Coltrane's Blue Train 24.192, please tell me if you can or cannot play the file.
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/f8...26a15dd161a50542327afe6f20190216095339/0d4208

Also when switching fastly from one song to another to compare qualities.. the app crashes!

Really in 2019 more than 300€ piece of gear can't load the covers more fastly? (software implementations or hardware limitations?)

Maybe they can -or must- add an alternative player in the apk white list. As far as I know a dedicated music player must do right his only job.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #1,527 of 2,501
When I try to play J.Coltrane blue train album.. yellow led from HR turn on but didn't play anything.. or directly the app crashes, or when I try to select the song tap tap tap.. do nothing at all.
This is annoying because I try with the same card in my android phone with foobar and plays album smoothly, in my old laptop with same player not a problem either. I change tthe card.. the same. I reset the fiio music player.. nothing.. reset the fiio m9 nothing.

One song if you want to try, Coltrane's Blue Train 24.192, please tell me if you can or cannot play the file.
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/f8...26a15dd161a50542327afe6f20190216095339/0d4208

Also when switching fastly from one song to another to compare qualities.. the app crashes!

Really in 2019 more than 300€ piece of gear can't load the covers more fastly? (software implementations or hardware limitations?)

Maybe they can -or must- add an alternative player in the apk white list. As far as I know a dedicated music player must do right his only job.

You are right EarlytoBed. The track played well on my PC but using the FiiO App on the M9 and on the M6 (tried on both) they clearly cannot handle the file. Very big file.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #1,529 of 2,501
Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy the official leather case for these anywhere in the U.K.?

https://www.fiio.com/productinfo/116596.html

All the ones on eBay here seem to be PU leather as opposed to the real thing and don’t have the FIIO embossed logo on them.

Very much in love with this little thing since getting it and I’d like it to look its best :)

I haven't found anywhere in the UK. The only option I've seen is from Aliexpress. https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.aliexpress.com/item/32952137908.html

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #1,530 of 2,501
I haven't found anywhere in the UK. The only option I've seen is from Aliexpress. https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.aliexpress.com/item/32952137908.html

I bought the official one and do not recommend it as there is no opening to access the micro SD card (a poor design). The case is so tight that I could not get the m9 out of the case to get to the micro SD card without cutting off the case (design and/or manufacturing specifications defect). The AliExpress seller is refusing to provide a refund despite the platform's "satisfaction guarantee".

Another AliExpress buyer reported the same problem that I had:

This is a very disappointing product, once your Fiio M9 music player is inserted into the case it is impossible to remove the M9 due to the fact that it is a very tight fit, there is no access to the micro sd card as the slot is covered by the case. The only way I was able to remove the case when I wanted to replace my sd card was to get a scissors and cut the case to free the M9, as a result the case ended up in the garbage bin which is what the case actually is a piece of garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back