FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Nov 13, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #436 of 2,501
I've taken the M9 along on my daily route to and from work paired with the BGVP DM6 and it's a match made in heaven. I'm holding back on sound impressions right now as I'm still burning in both items. The M9 gets warm to the touch after using the balanced connection for a few hours.

UI is snappy and quite fluid. A few translation errors here and there, but nothing what a few updates could not fix.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #441 of 2,501
Hello everybody...!

I would appreciate your views/opinions on something...

I’m thinking of replacing my aging 1st gen iPod touch+JDS labs c5 combo mainly due to the fact that I’m finding it difficult to get reliable 30-pin to usb cables that will last long enough...I have to replace the cable every 2-4 months and that’s becoming an increasing financial burden that will very likely carry on...

So my questions are:

1. Would I be better off getting an inexpensive Fiio M3K and pair it with the C5 (which I love...!)
  2. Would the sound quality of the M9 be on par or superior to the iPod touch+C5?
  3. Would I be able to install the sonos app on the M9 and stream to my sonos speakers...?

Many thanks for your time in advance..!

Nov 14, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #442 of 2,501
I'm in the market for a new dap and the m9 is on my shortlist, could anybody possibly answer the following....

1) does gapless work perfectly? A lot of my music is dj mixed and gapless playback is a must
2) I've searched but can't find the definitive answer, but can the M9 access and play music locally from a NAS drive?
3) Spotify seems to work ok, can somebody confirm for sure?
4) can SoundCloud app be loaded?
5) can mixcloud be added?

Cheers all

Nov 14, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #443 of 2,501
I'm in the market for a new dap and the m9 is on my shortlist, could anybody possibly answer the following....

1) does gapless work perfectly? A lot of my music is dj mixed and gapless playback is a must
2) I've searched but can't find the definitive answer, but can the M9 access and play music locally from a NAS drive?
3) Spotify seems to work ok, can somebody confirm for sure?
4) can SoundCloud app be loaded?
5) can mixcloud be added?

Cheers all
Hi,

1. Gapless works perfectly.

2. Yes it can play from NAS but unfortunately it won't create a library locally And the DLNA acces button is tucked far away in the menu. It's behind the configuration wheel??
It will have to search the server each time when you acces and select which is time consuming. I find it very inconvenient. I hope Fiio wil change this. Or a third party player on the white list.
At the end its a wifi enabled device so NAS streaming should be well supported with software.

3. Spotify works flawlessly no problem. 4 is a NO. and 5 i can't help you with.

Wifi reception is good. No drop out with streaming from NAS or Deezer. Even when Wifi bar is one bar less.

QUOTE from Fiio

Pre-installed apps: NetEase Cloud Music, MOOV, Tidal and KKBOXS

Whitelisted apps: Spotify, Qobuz, Roon and Deezer

While i am copying pasting this... It's not correct.

Spotify was pre installed.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #444 of 2,501
@Detectit Thanks for the really useful info, in terms of streaming from the NAS that will be fairly infrequent but at least it works - perhaps in a future firmware update the option to select/use DNLA will be more prominent

Would SoundCloud and mixcloud need to be whitelisted in order to be added?

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #445 of 2,501
@Detectit Thanks for the really useful info, in terms of streaming from the NAS that will be fairly infrequent but at least it works - perhaps in a future firmware update the option to select/use DNLA will be more prominent

Yes Fiio has to whitelist the apps. Reason... It's a watch processor so not powerful enough for demanding apps.

With the approved apps it's lag free so won't notice that.

Nov 14, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #447 of 2,501

If you really want this implemented i recommend reaching out to @FiiO @FiiO USA (or the main contact on this thread cant remember name) via pm to let their engineering /product team be aware. Theyve already let their team know about that ui issue from the last page perhaps theyll consider this at some point.

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #448 of 2,501
Does the Hi Res Audio designation the M9 has received mean that Tidal Masters are available on the device?

I don't think it's available on mobile platforms. Anyhow, MQA has been shown to be fake high-res anyway. They ran all the music through some sort of loudness algorithm then compress the output with a lossy system. You're honestly not missing anything that you couldn't enable with some or other plug-in software.

Is there a way to sideload any app or will only those whitelisted work? Specifically wondering about a browser.

The M9 absolutely is not designed to run regular software like a browser. That's what your smartphone is for. :)

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #449 of 2,501
I don't think it's available on mobile platforms. Anyhow, MQA has been shown to be fake high-res anyway. They ran all the music through some sort of loudness algorithm then compress the output with a lossy system. You're honestly not missing anything that you couldn't enable with some or other plug-in software.

The M9 absolutely is not designed to run regular software like a browser. That's what your smartphone is for. :)
You are right. Expecting it to handle DLNA would be wishful thinking?

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #450 of 2,501
I haven't tried DLNA with it. I don't have a suitable server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back