FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Nov 15, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #466 of 2,501
I have the same issue as well.

Also can you look into LAME MP3 decoding issues? My music is showing up as double the length and most of it is silence.
Dear friend,

Yes, we have recorded the issue with MP3 files and reported to the engineers. :pensive:

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 15, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #467 of 2,501
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 16, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #468 of 2,501
Some people really really like the iPods but from a pure technical perspective. The FiiO DAPs will have better audio circuitry than what your iPod have.

#2: Maybe, no one can tell except those that have that exact config
#3: No, contact FiiO and ask for it and have them test it and whitelist it.

No. You can sideload apps (by installing APK) on the whitelist, you can not install app APKs not on the whitelist, it will deny you. Now if you are asking about sideloading by hacking it and gaining access through Fastboot and load the app there?....dunno lol

diablo-4-wyatt-cheng-blizzcon-2018.jpg

Do you guys not have phones!?

Fair enough. The interface and physical buttons are not my favorite either. I can't hold the M9 naturally, I have to do a soft claw grip or else i risk depressing the buttons on the side.

It is taxing. You have to understand there is a reason audio purist DAPs do not have screens. There is a lot of processing involved in terms of system level interrupts, general priority, niceness level (Linux high level priority), and other aspects of this operating system that they need to leave enough resources for. With a touchscreen DAP running Android, you put yourself at a con audio wise as any movement or interaction could cause lag that causes stuttering or inability to assure SQ throughput as Android is not fully optomized for sound.

Add in more processes, a browser, and internet HTML5 multimedia elements and this thing will no longer have audio as a priority and audio quality will drop for sure.

Get a poll going, sign a petition sheet, contact FiiO and tell them you want X apps. Ranting here won't get the apps you want approved. It's not rocket science. It's not a great thing but if you want something, tell them directly up front and get some backing for it.

"Even though the processor on the M9 is a watch processor most of the Apps being demanded are not using any processing power the M9 can't handle or would slow it down." Read my above paragraph to handwander. I'm an embedded computer sys engineer and have worked on Linux extensively (what Android runs on). Things are a LOT more demanding than you think they are. They need to leave enough headroom to sustain audio quality or else you'll start getting chops. The processor threads will literally start throwing audio as a low priority is how it usually happens. Someone not familiar with this process might say, why not hack the system and set audio priorities throughout the system configs to be high with a cpu direct niceness level? Because that's how you get a full system freeze up when you start messing with priorities of things that actually need it to kill what is bogging down the cpu.

+1 lol. Deleting apps can 'speed up' a system if it is very bogged down and using crap flash memory like a slow internal NAND flash or SD card that is almost full. But that's the only time and that's due to access times and IOPS.

The Exynos SoC is at its limits of the app already. You don't notice it but there's stuttering inside already and album loading is slow and there are hiccups. They are running at a greater graphical resolution and running a near full version of Android as opposed to say Wear OS or a more cut down version of Android. Only thing its missing is Google Play Store and the stuff FiiO hid to be enabled and you have an Android tablet/device.

The most common Wear OS smartwatches have a resolution of 360x360(129,600 pixels) to 400x400(160,000 pixels). The M9 is 800x480 (384,000 pixels) and has over double the amount of screen it needs to render which is definately something the SoC struggles with.

The Exynos 7270 sports a Mali T720 with a maximum supported resolution of 960x540 but that's a technical maximum of pushing the limits and running Wear OS.

-----------

Guys no. FiiO is not screwing with you here on why it can't whitelist apps. It's literally at its limits. Any more and you will start having audio stuttering which already does happen even with just the FiiO Music App and nothing else running.
Some people really really like the iPods but from a pure technical perspective. The FiiO DAPs will have better audio circuitry than what your iPod have.

#2: Maybe, no one can tell except those that have that exact config
#3: No, contact FiiO and ask for it and have them test it and whitelist it.

No. You can sideload apps (by installing APK) on the whitelist, you can not install app APKs not on the whitelist, it will deny you. Now if you are asking about sideloading by hacking it and gaining access through Fastboot and load the app there?....dunno lol

diablo-4-wyatt-cheng-blizzcon-2018.jpg

Do you guys not have phones!?

Fair enough. The interface and physical buttons are not my favorite either. I can't hold the M9 naturally, I have to do a soft claw grip or else i risk depressing the buttons on the side.

It is taxing. You have to understand there is a reason audio purist DAPs do not have screens. There is a lot of processing involved in terms of system level interrupts, general priority, niceness level (Linux high level priority), and other aspects of this operating system that they need to leave enough resources for. With a touchscreen DAP running Android, you put yourself at a con audio wise as any movement or interaction could cause lag that causes stuttering or inability to assure SQ throughput as Android is not fully optomized for sound.

Add in more processes, a browser, and internet HTML5 multimedia elements and this thing will no longer have audio as a priority and audio quality will drop for sure.

Get a poll going, sign a petition sheet, contact FiiO and tell them you want X apps. Ranting here won't get the apps you want approved. It's not rocket science. It's not a great thing but if you want something, tell them directly up front and get some backing for it.

"Even though the processor on the M9 is a watch processor most of the Apps being demanded are not using any processing power the M9 can't handle or would slow it down." Read my above paragraph to handwander. I'm an embedded computer sys engineer and have worked on Linux extensively (what Android runs on). Things are a LOT more demanding than you think they are. They need to leave enough headroom to sustain audio quality or else you'll start getting chops. The processor threads will literally start throwing audio as a low priority is how it usually happens. Someone not familiar with this process might say, why not hack the system and set audio priorities throughout the system configs to be high with a cpu direct niceness level? Because that's how you get a full system freeze up when you start messing with priorities of things that actually need it to kill what is bogging down the cpu.

+1 lol. Deleting apps can 'speed up' a system if it is very bogged down and using crap flash memory like a slow internal NAND flash or SD card that is almost full. But that's the only time and that's due to access times and IOPS.

The Exynos SoC is at its limits of the app already. You don't notice it but there's stuttering inside already and album loading is slow and there are hiccups. They are running at a greater graphical resolution and running a near full version of Android as opposed to say Wear OS or a more cut down version of Android. Only thing its missing is Google Play Store and the stuff FiiO hid to be enabled and you have an Android tablet/device.

The most common Wear OS smartwatches have a resolution of 360x360(129,600 pixels) to 400x400(160,000 pixels). The M9 is 800x480 (384,000 pixels) and has over double the amount of screen it needs to render which is definately something the SoC struggles with.

The Exynos 7270 sports a Mali T720 with a maximum supported resolution of 960x540 but that's a technical maximum of pushing the limits and running Wear OS.

-----------

Guys no. FiiO is not screwing with you here on why it can't whitelist apps. It's literally at its limits. Any more and you will start having audio stuttering which already does happen even with just the FiiO Music App and nothing else running.

Hi Bowie

Thank you for your kind reply to all of us. Are you saying that only the apps that are presently whitelisted are capable of running on the M9 and it's not possible to have any other apps run on it or are you saying that it is difficult to produce apps to run on it, but it is possible for other apps to run on the M9 without overextending it's android implementation. By the way I have been in dialogue with Fiio for a while. Not sure how you read 'ranting' into my post. Perhaps that is something in your psychology. Hubris.

Many thanks dharmasteve

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #469 of 2,501
I have the same issue as well.

Also can you look into LAME MP3 decoding issues? My music is showing up as double the length and most of it is silence.
If you guys also have the Problem to install the MTP-Driver. I downloaded the Driver-CAB File (link below) --> extracted it and manually installed the driver via device manager --> The M9 shows up as MTP in device manager when connected via USB.

https://samsung-mobile-mtp-device-driver-2-9-310-1125.soft32.com/free-download/?nc&dm=2

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #470 of 2,501
Hi Bowie

Thank you for your kind reply to all of us. Are you saying that only the apps that are presently whitelisted are capable of running on the M9 and it's not possible to have any other apps run on it or are you saying that it is difficult to produce apps to run on it, but it is possible for other apps to run on the M9 without overextending it's android implementation. By the way I have been in dialogue with Fiio for a while. Not sure how you read 'ranting' into my post. Perhaps that is something in your psychology. Hubris.

Many thanks dharmasteve

FiiO wants to control the eco system. They themselves have decided to vet and QA test each app that they want before allowing it. It's actually fairly common in the embedded world but I can see why this is annoying. Each round of getting anything done or tested and authorized on our systems at work requires outside vetting and testing for 100% reliability internally by our test groups or a 3rd party for example.

Yes, there are plenty of apps that can probably run on the M9 without overextending it considering there are 2.1million Android apps and some are not intensive at all. FiiO is chosing the other side of the rainbow and choosing a deny all approach first and selective allowing the ones they've vetted and tested.

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #471 of 2,501
Review is up.

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #472 of 2,501
FiiO wants to control the eco system. They themselves have decided to vet and QA test each app that they want before allowing it. It's actually fairly common in the embedded world but I can see why this is annoying. Each round of getting anything done or tested and authorized on our systems at work requires outside vetting and testing for 100% reliability internally by our test groups or a 3rd party for example.

Yes, there are plenty of apps that can probably run on the M9 without overextending it considering there are 2.1million Android apps and some are not intensive at all. FiiO is chosing the other side of the rainbow and choosing a deny all approach first and selective allowing the ones they've vetted and tested.

But what do you think.... It's not a time extensive job to test if Foobar can run on it.
Maybe Fiio can give some which definitely won't work. So we don't have to wait in vain for. It.

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #476 of 2,501
But what do you think.... It's not a time extensive job to test if Foobar can run on it.
Maybe Fiio can give some which definitely won't work. So we don't have to wait in vain for. It.

You would think but in the industry, you would be surprised at how long some stuff take.

Don't wait around, never buy a device based on future promise of X or Y. Buy it with the thought of what it has RIGHT NOW is how I approach most things.

Posting these qualms here won't work too easilly. Each person needs to send an email to FiiO and tell them something simple about how they are interested in M9 but want application X, and if they could support that.

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #477 of 2,501
Any word on when this will be available on amazon in the US? Hopefully soon/by the holidays. Kinda weird that some online retailers I've never heard of have it in stock, but I can't find it on amazon, B and H photo, Adorama, or other big names that I trust to make it right should my purchase not work out...

Nov 17, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #478 of 2,501
Any word on when this will be available on amazon in the US? Hopefully soon/by the holidays. Kinda weird that some online retailers I've never heard of have it in stock, but I can't find it on amazon, B and H photo, Adorama, or other big names that I trust to make it right should my purchase not work out...
That's my guess. I've never purchased a Fiio product when it launched so I'm not sure how long the process normally is. Since they did launch the M9 outside the US first, and their seems to be more US outlets slowly selling them via their website in the past few weeks, I think it's only a matter of time until it's on Amazon. At this point though, I'm not expecting anything until next month or even next year.

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #479 of 2,501
You would think but in the industry, you would be surprised at how long some stuff take.

Don't wait around, never buy a device based on future promise of X or Y. Buy it with the thought of what it has RIGHT NOW is how I approach most things.

Posting these qualms here won't work too easilly. Each person needs to send an email to FiiO and tell them something simple about how they are interested in M9 but want application X, and if they could support that.

Yes I like it the way it is..... Finishing touch would be a Radio streaming service and one third party music player. With home network streaming capabilities.

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #480 of 2,501

It usually makes it to these bigger distros last. FiiO posted a source to a US authorized dealer that has it a page back I believe. The time it takes to reach Amazon or any store is the time it takes a dealer that is authorized by FiiO to list it on Amazon :/

Yes I like it the way it is..... Finishing touch would be a Radio streaming service and one third party music player. With home network streaming capabilities.

Send them an email with the exact apps you are mentioning and want them to include and ask for support. Just five people doing the same thing to the same email would probably cause them to look and consider testing and adding it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back