FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Nov 4, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #361 of 2,501
Do you use one of the balanced, turboo, out? (77mW / 300 ohms) Is this enough for the HD650? (My FiiO Q5 with AM3B balanced out knows 70mW / 300 ohms and so is enough for the HD650) But I'm curious about it. If someone answers, is enough dynamics, volume, and so on.
And the other question: if I understand it, can I use DAC / AMP for a Droid / IOS phone with a USB interface? (Works with UAPP or FiiO music?)

I don't use the balanced output but use the 3.5mm standard with the HD6XX and it's more than fine, volume wise it's more than capable and dynamics sound pretty good too I was pleasantly surprised really.

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #362 of 2,501
I don't use the balanced output but use the 3.5mm standard with the HD6XX and it's more than fine, volume wise it's more than capable and dynamics sound pretty good too I was pleasantly surprised really.
Thanks for the reply ! That surprised me too. For ≥19mW (300Ω / THD + N <1%) unbalanced vs. ≥24mW (300Ω / THD + N <1%, balanced turbo off) ≥77mW (300Ω / THD + N <1%, balanced turbo on) I have balanced cables (for HD660S/HD650), and for DSD / Tidal I have had little to do with the unbalanced power of Q5.

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #363 of 2,501
That is the million dollar question. A few of us have inquired about this but we haven't heard back from Fiio yet. Their units did ship towards the end of October but I guess that was to all of the international outlets. I'm expecting these to show up in the US sometime before Thanksgiving.

Thank you. Will keep an eye out for it. This is why I miss living in Tokyo.

Thinking also to take the plunge into wireless headphones. I use my A&K MK 1 DAP for when I goto the gym. My exercise HPs are couple years old and they are wired. To fully utilize the BT capabilities of the FiiO M9, which exercise HPs are recommended? Have a spent a couple hours searching on the internet for reviews and not finding much help, thoughts?

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #364 of 2,501
Thank you. Will keep an eye out for it. This is why I miss living in Tokyo.

Thinking also to take the plunge into wireless headphones. I use my A&K MK 1 DAP for when I goto the gym. My exercise HPs are couple years old and they are wired. To fully utilize the BT capabilities of the FiiO M9, which exercise HPs are recommended? Have a spent a couple hours searching on the internet for reviews and not finding much help, thoughts?
I recently purchased a set of bose soundsport earbuds. I haven't been able to really utilize them for sound due to me in need for a new BT supported dap so my phone is currently what they are used for. The sound with that is limited due to it being a phone, so I don't want to give my impressions on it until I've obtained a new DAP. My only concern with this so far is that when trying to connect to a PC, it's extremely difficult to pair it so that it uses both earbuds, it often pairs thinking that it's a headset (which happens if I were to use my phone to make calls), thus only allowing the right earbud to produce sound through it. It's also impossible for me to use it with my bluegate BT transmitter/receiver due to the feedback issues. I'm considering searching for an alternative in the near future, perhaps I might use the earbuds that come with a detachable cable (I prefer a wired set for when I'm at work and don't want to constantly be recharging it).

I'm not a tech guy for headphones or even DAPs for that matter, just looking for the best ideal products that can serve my needs.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #365 of 2,501
Nov 4, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #367 of 2,501
For all of you who have the M9 could you please post some info about battery life and charging times :)

For average use with iems, low gain, is the battery life around 10 hours ?

This device doesn't have fast charge but the battery is not big. Charging time should be max 2 hours, or?

Don't have much feedback for you but so far 10hours seems about right with my usage on Wifi and BT. Have not done IEMS on low gain though

Do you use one of the balanced, turboo, out? (77mW / 300 ohms) Is this enough for the HD650? (My FiiO Q5 with AM3B balanced out knows 70mW / 300 ohms and so is enough for the HD650) But I'm curious about it. If someone answers, is enough dynamics, volume, and so on.
And the other question: if I understand it, can I use DAC / AMP for a Droid / IOS phone with a USB interface? (Works with UAPP or FiiO music?)

It has enough power to drive the HD6XX from my quick testing yes. Hotel California on H Gain and 120 is just enough to be pleasureable. Music with any lower noise floor and you might want a bit more oomph.

On normal modern tracks that master with a higher noise floor. I listen at about 90/100 volume with H gain on the HD 6XX. So you have a bit to work with but not much

As for SQ. Its ok...The M9 would not be my choice pick for something like the HD6XX or Q701. Spatial is down as is detail with a boosted low end. Very consumer poppy sound which I dont find matching for the two mentioned.

As for your second question. You would need to wait for community feedback to see if the M9 can be used as a USB DAC for Android/IOS phones. Often times the answer is 'probably' with FiiO devices and Android with USB OTG. Sometimes requiring an intermediate power supply. I don't have the means to connect or use it as such so I can't sollicit any feedback sadly.

Any prospects for google play music support?

Thanks
I think that may be a negatory. I think that app may require Google Play Services which is not available. Lemme ask FiiO

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #369 of 2,501

I tried the 6XX and it actually did a decent job with them, at least at the moderate volume level I listen at. It seems that low impedance headphones, while working reasonably well, benefit from an amp being added in.

To fully utilize the BT capabilities of the FiiO M9, which exercise HPs are recommended? Have a spent a couple hours searching on the internet for reviews and not finding much help, thoughts?

Pretty much everything supports APTx or better now, so anything that has that, APTxHD or LDAC that suits your budget or needs.

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #370 of 2,501
sorry for an OT but i had to ask (i think this question is related to this topic to be honest - as a loyal customer i would like to know support path for a new device i like to buy):
are you going to manage this device like the previous series X? where you stop supporting users with many unsolved problems - caused by buggy software?

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #372 of 2,501
This is great that the price is indeed losted as 300. Waiting for it to be available on amazon though as im not familar with this site plus i love my extended warranties.

Btw do skins come with this device?

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #373 of 2,501
Pretty much everything supports APTx or better now, so anything that has that, APTxHD or LDAC that suits your budget or needs.

You would think that and its mostly true. What befuddles me is that the new M50xBT only has AptX at a maximum. Not AptX HD or LDAC which is weird.

sorry for an OT but i had to ask (i think this question is related to this topic to be honest - as a loyal customer i would like to know support path for a new device i like to buy):
are you going to manage this device like the previous series X? where you stop supporting users with many unsolved problems - caused by buggy software?

Now may be the time to see if FiiO can make a public announcement/committment like other smartphone/tech brands do in affirming support for X years. I'd be down to see that. Create the motion and ask them privately through email to notify them this is happening and you would like to see this and show them the thread with users you gather together supporting you on this.

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #375 of 2,501

You have my complete support. I also will not buy from Fiio again without a clear statement regarding the long-term support. My experience with the X7, which was no less than a deliverance to sell, has taught me to be extremely wary of Fiio’s tendency to let down its consumers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back