FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Oct 29, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #301 of 2,501
I am interested to know how would one (or Fiio) whitelist an app.. for eg. Bandcamp..

just read a very run of the mill review of the M9 where all the details and specs are provided and nothing much about the reviewers personal opinion re: sound! At least one should mention the songs played.. i mean this is all about music... innit?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #303 of 2,501
Hi,

Just came across this rather positive review:

http://www.thephonograph.net/fiio-m9-review/

I can't stand the layout of that site. Other than that it was a decent review. I wished they focused more on some of the negatives of the device. Regardless, I wasn't aware that BT usage gives it 30 hours of playback. Not sure what specific BT setting they tested this one though.

@superuser1 Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews typically gives in depth reviews of DAPs based on their sound. From reading the comments in his unboxing video he seems impressed so far. I'm sure he'll have a review up sometime this week or next.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #305 of 2,501
Thanks for that. I also would like to know if DLNA works as it should and also if the device does SRC while playing from whitelisted apps.
Yes i agree about Chris (HBB) being very vocal about the songs he uses and such. Ill check out his unboxing. @MPNow

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #306 of 2,501
Oct 30, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #307 of 2,501
I am interested to know how would one (or Fiio) whitelist an app.. for eg. Bandcamp..

just read a very run of the mill review of the M9 where all the details and specs are provided and nothing much about the reviewers personal opinion re: sound! At least one should mention the songs played.. i mean this is all about music... innit?
Agreed! I'd also like to know how reviewers listen. What cans or IEMs and if they use wired or BT.
My own favourite is Ying Kit Lee ( a Singaporean I believe) of the The Audiophile World. He listens over weeks (months sometimes) with all types of music & headphones. He's got the M9, so I'm looking forward to his promised review.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #308 of 2,501
The feature of the Fiio M9 are very attractive, i dunno should i stay on fiio x7mk2 or buy this?
Some people saying is on par with Fiio Q5.....
I should maybe audition the M9....

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #310 of 2,501
I used the M9 over the weekend as both a transport and for listening with IEMs and very easy-to-drive headphones. The low amount of memory, small screen and low power output clearly serve to keep power usage down and I could have used it the entire weekend without charging it at all.

There are a couple of UI annoyances, such as it not remembering the point in the list of artists I had scrolled too when I turned the screen off and on and a bit trouble working out how to get out of TIDAL and back to the main screen. I had to hard-restart it once too. Other than that the UI is quick.

It has worked as a USB transport flawlessly, at least so far.

Sound is good in this price range I reckon. Stock settings have a touch of a hard edge on vocals for my preferences, but I find this to be much the same with all AKM-based DAPs and the like as I'm spoilt by much better gear.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #312 of 2,501
Who are other reviewers and review sites you favor?
Other than BGGAR's videos, I typically just rely on the people here as well as any other website I could find. I'm not saying that that review was bad, I just didn't like the layout of the site, I just prefer to read through the details and not get distracted by all of the other advertisements.

By the way, he's posted up an unboxing video with Sony's new 1000 M3 wireless earphones. Looks like he'll be using it and others as part of his overall review.

I used the M9 over the weekend as both a transport and for listening with IEMs and very easy-to-drive headphones. The low amount of memory, small screen and low power output clearly serve to keep power usage down and I could have used it the entire weekend without charging it at all.

There are a couple of UI annoyances, such as it not remembering the point in the list of artists I had scrolled too when I turned the screen off and on and a bit trouble working out how to get out of TIDAL and back to the main screen. I had to hard-restart it once too. Other than that the UI is quick.
What did you mean by turning the screen on and off? Were you referring to the screen sleep mode, or literally turning the device on and off?

I nowhere can't find the silver version? It will be available later?
Perhaps those haven't been received to those retailers yet. I'm sure Amazon will have these out soon in both colors.

@FiiO , @FiiO USA , this begs the question though, has there been an official US release date given? I believe I've seen release dates for other countries but nothing for the US yet. I'm assuming that it's coming sometime in Nov? Just want to reduce the amount of times I'm furiously searching the internet for USA retailers.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #313 of 2,501
Hello All,
Quick question for you. the product description states "Also, the M9 is one of the few players that can receive Bluetooth audio and output it through optical (SPDIF) out." Does this mean that I could send the BlueTooth signal to the M9, then the M9 would send it to my Audio Note DAC for decoding in my main stereo setup using the M9 as a passthrough component? Thank you for your time guys!!

Kevin

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #314 of 2,501
What did you mean by turning the screen on and off? Were you referring to the screen sleep mode, or literally turning the device on and off?

I meant pressing the power button while listening to music to turn the screen off. When I press it again to turn it on again, it has reset from the place I had scrolled to.

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #315 of 2,501
Hello All,
Quick question for you. the product description states "Also, the M9 is one of the few players that can receive Bluetooth audio and output it through optical (SPDIF) out." Does this mean that I could send the BlueTooth signal to the M9, then the M9 would send it to my Audio Note DAC for decoding in my main stereo setup using the M9 as a passthrough component? Thank you for your time guys!!

Kevin
That is exactly what it means. I am also thinking of picking this up to use with my micro DSD BL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back