[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Mar 18, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,786 of 3,610
The thing is I was trying to get airplay to sent my iTunes music from my iMac to my M6 just the way I send it to my Yamaha receivers that have Airplay. Cant figure out why else airplay would be on the M6.

An update, @mattg3 and @FiiO. I upgraded to the last High Sierra (10.3.6, with Airplay 2 support), and the latest iTunes.. but not sure that was the problem.

@mattg3 try to go to Sound in System Preferences. Then if the Fiio Music Player is there you can select it. It will stay grayed out and with the exclamation mark in iTunes but.. it will work! :D

And sounds excellent :wink:

upload_2019-3-18_18-44-28.png

Mar 18, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #1,787 of 3,610
Thanks so much for this about Airplay. I had the M6 but amazon sent me a used one and I paid for a new one.Before I sent it back I tried it out and Airplay didn't work which was a deal breaker for me since I have 700 cds in my iTunes account on my iMac. Ive been thinking about getting a Cowon Plenue D instead of the M6 but now with finding out how to make Airplay work makes my decision a lot harder. Amazon should have M6 in stock next week.

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #1,788 of 3,610
Thanks so much for this about Airplay. I had the M6 but amazon sent me a used one and I paid for a new one.Before I sent it back I tried it out and Airplay didn't work which was a deal breaker for me since I have 700 cds in my iTunes account on my iMac. Ive been thinking about getting a Cowon Plenue D instead of the M6 but now with finding out how to make Airplay work makes my decision a lot harder. Amazon should have M6 in stock next week.
Fiio just posted yesterday that the M6 is in stock again at Amazon

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #1,789 of 3,610
Please DO NOT IGNORE this message.

I am having problems with my FiiO m6. When I connect it to a computer it does not become visible, neither for as a dac or to transfer media. I have tried to use different cables and comuters but it still dident recongnize the m6. Any advice?

Don't use red or large text.

You need to read the manual, you need to set it in USB DAC mode or connect mode.

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #1,790 of 3,610
Please DO NOT IGNORE this message.

I am having problems with my FiiO m6. When I connect it to a computer it does not become visible, neither for as a dac or to transfer media. I have tried to use different cables and comuters but it still dident recongnize the m6. Any advice?
You need to install the USB drivers. Mine did automatically when I connected the device. Maybe you can try installing the ones on the Fiio website?

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #1,791 of 3,610
maan..i have burned out recently buying different DAPs, and still didn't find the sound that i seek, heck i got most satisfaction from old now sold fiio x3ii...

perhaps fiio house sound is what i like..that warm organic sound with nice details and clarity...does fiio m6 has that sound?!

i just wanna settle with one device that plays music well...don't care about streaming, Bluetooth will be nice but not important

currently either buying fiio m6 or cowon plenvue V

any advice will be appreciated

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #1,792 of 3,610
maan..i have burned out recently buying different DAPs, and still didn't find the sound that i seek, heck i got most satisfaction from old now sold fiio x3ii...

perhaps fiio house sound is what i like..that warm organic sound with nice details and clarity...does fiio m6 has that sound?!

i just wanna settle with one device that plays music well...don't care about streaming, Bluetooth will be nice but not important

If you are looking for a warm sound the M6 will not be for you. The M6 has a very clear organic sound and it's Sabre chip gives it the right energetics, but if you want warm maybe Sony is the way to go. The M6 is the quality Swiss Army Knife of DAPs. It's cream is streaming and LDAC. It is a good as it gets for the money, but it is not warm, yet sounds great. Nor is it's big brother the M9 warm, which is velvety smooth, impactful, but not warm. I too have the FiiO X3ii, but the M6 sounds a lot better. It is not a warm sound though. I do recommend the M6 but you may not like it. Perhaps wait for the FiiO M11, which is nearly on market.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #1,793 of 3,610
on second thought I went ahead and ordered it from Ali. Says delivery is only 7-16 days and the price was only about $15 more than Amazon.ca. Now, that refund better come through without issue from AVGear!

So I got mine from ALI after cancelling a non-existent local one one as well. Took exactly a week form order to door.
Keep in mind that DHL will be charging you (well, charged me) $22 at the door for duty ($15+ to DHL and a few bucks in very reduced Duty ~ $35 CDN Value for the DAP!)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #1,794 of 3,610

If you want a slightly warmer sound and don't care about wifi and streaming you might want to try the M7. While I haven't heard the M6 it is my understanding the M7 is tuned warmer than the M6. It has all the other main features of the M6 and better battery life as I am getting about 18 hours wired. I am loving mine coming from the Shanling M0 which is definitely brighter sounding and has a less refined sound. The M7 sounds amazing to me and provided you don't have hard to drive headphones you might want to give it a try.

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #1,795 of 3,610
Anyone connecting their Schiit DAC to the M6? Thinking of buying it to replace my clunky MacBook Air. Any issues I might face?

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,796 of 3,610
Anyone connecting their Schiit DAC to the M6? Thinking of buying it to replace my clunky MacBook Air. Any issues I might face?

I have the Schiit Modi 3. The FiiO M6 only has line out which doesn't work with the Modi. I also have the M9 which has a Spdif out and that does work, with an adaptor, to the coaxial of the Scihiit Modi 3, but volume depends on my HiFi amp. It sounds good. I also have an Arcam AirDac which is wireless but connecting either the M6 or M9 to that wirelessly gives me volume control from either the M6 or M9. The Schiit Modi 3 is a brilliant DAC for the price....but it is a pain adjusting the volume from the amp as needed. So the M9's Spdif/Coax out does send it's signal to the Modi 3 and the Modi 3 outputs it to an amplifier. I have not been able to get any sound out of the USB on the Modi 3, from any player.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #1,797 of 3,610
I have the Schiit Modi 3. The FiiO M6 only has line out which doesn't work with the Modi. I also have the M9 which has a Spdif out and that does work, with an adaptor, to the coaxial of the Scihiit Modi 3, but volume depends on my HiFi amp. It sounds good. I also have an Arcam AirDac which is wireless but connecting either the M6 or M9 to that wirelessly gives me volume control from either the M6 or M9. The Schiit Modi 3 is a brilliant DAC for the price....but it is a pain adjusting the volume from the amp as needed. So the M9's Spdif/Coax out does send it's signal to the Modi 3 and the Modi 3 outputs it to an amplifier. I have not been able to get any sound out of the USB on the Modi 3, from any player.

You mean USB connection from M6 to the Modi produces no sound? That’s the primary means I have in mind, via the DAP’s USB C out.

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #1,798 of 3,610
You mean USB connection from M6 to the Modi produces no sound? That’s the primary means I have in mind, via the DAP’s USB C out.

OK, after a lot of wires and testing. My mobile phone, a Samsung S9 plus, with an Anker USB C OTG cable, with a normal micro USB connected to the Anker OTG, and the micro USB end inserted into the Modi 3 produced a great sound from the Modi 3. The volume is controllable from the phone. Doing exactly the same from both the FiiO M6 and M9 produces no sound, with whatever setting I tried. So I can use my Samsung S9 plus and get a really good quality sound. Sadly I can't use an M6 or M9. Perhaps someone can educate me if there is a setting I am not aware of.

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,799 of 3,610
I thought I'd give the perspective of someone who uses their DAP not just for music but for podcasts/audiobooks.

In this respect the M6 (and Fiio) seem to be a huge fail. There's no way to preserve playback for podcasts/audiobooks and obviously there's no app that handles them.

Also as someone who uses a music management program (now Musicbee) it's very frustrating to sync.

I've also had bluetooth connectivity issues and my microSD card occasionally seems to disappear. I still haven't figured out how to get the M6 to recognize the .m3u playlists on it (and I've read through multiple threads).

My phone handles all this easily. What I'm potentially losing in audio quality isn't worth all the headaches. For me, a very hard pass.

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #1,800 of 3,610
I thought I'd give the perspective of someone who uses their DAP not just for music but for podcasts/audiobooks.

In this respect the M6 (and Fiio) seem to be a huge fail. There's no way to preserve playback for podcasts/audiobooks and obviously there's no app that handles them.

Yep, not my case but there seems to be a LOT of people needing this solution and the whitelisting seems a no brainer, hope FiiO does it eventually.

Also as someone who uses a music management program (now Musicbee) it's very frustrating to sync.
Oh I used to love MusicBee, used it since the earliest versions then dropped it and only ocassionaly use FooBar, but MusicBee is something else (MediaMonkey was another one I used back then).
Now I simply drop files on and off quite randomly but using a Music Manager like this sounds interesting again. What kind of errors you get? I'll try to test it myself too.

I've also had bluetooth connectivity issues and my microSD card occasionally seems to disappear. I still haven't figured out how to get the M6 to recognize the .m3u playlists on it (and I've read through multiple threads).
My phone handles all this easily. What I'm potentially losing in audio quality isn't worth all the headaches. For me, a very hard pass.

Oops didn't suffer the BT problems so far, nor the SD card problems. Could that be related with the MusicBee issue? Did you try exchanging cards? I'm using a middle-range Sandisk 64gb and once I had to take it out and run a chkdsk to repair it, rest of the time it did work fine.. so far!

Yeah well a phone is obviously something else. I do have a BTR1K bluetooth dongle for these cases, great sound quality (also the K1 but that requires to be wired) and wireless freedom.

The M11 might would cover all these areas for sure, but at almost 500 u$s it's a no go for me :) I like the M6 because of the price-quality-features equation but it ain't always the solution of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back