[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jan 27, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #887 of 3,610
quick question guys i am using the M6 as a bluetooth reciever from my Note 9 but it says Bt sink mode sbc ..how do i get LDAC to work

The LDAC receive should be added in next month through firmware updating.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 27, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #888 of 3,610
So some may ask, why choose the M6 over other DAPs? Obviously price. Just about the best pound for pound puncher of a DAP for the money. But also APTX HD. So much better than APTX. Seeing as there are so few LDAC receivers it is really the domain of the FiiO M6\M9 to carry the APTX -HD flag. For the money the M6 is a stunning little music box of tricks (M9 too) Brilliant DAP.

all very good reasons.

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #889 of 3,610
So it looks like I will be waiting longer to get my hands on the M6. Amazon.ca has changed stock eta to February 21st and none of the other Canadian dealers taking pre-orders have any eta that I can find. Looks like it could be March at this point before I can demo one. Hopefully I will have my tax return money by then so not necessarily a bad thing with the delay.

Jan 28, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #890 of 3,610
The LDAC receive should be added in next month through firmware updating.
I purchased the M6 as a way of reducing audio clutter in my office (the advertised airplay functionality, bluetooth features, and the Apple Music apk) but none of those features currently work for me (there is as of yet, not Apple Music apk that I can find, airplay is not supported, and, while I can connect my MacBook Pro and iPhone to the M6 via bluetooth, I cannot stream music to it). Can you tell share any more information about the firmware update and whether it will address those issues?
Thank you.

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #891 of 3,610
I purchased the M6 as a way of reducing audio clutter in my office (the advertised airplay functionality, bluetooth features, and the Apple Music apk) but none of those features currently work for me (there is as of yet, not Apple Music apk that I can find, airplay is not supported, and, while I can connect my MacBook Pro and iPhone to the M6 via bluetooth, I cannot stream music to it). Can you tell share any more information about the firmware update and whether it will address those issues?
Thank you.

The Apple Music app was not advertised as there are some issues between Android/Samsung and Apple outside of FiiO. As Apple iPhone user and Apple music user I do hope this Will be fixed though.
I also have AirPlay working perfectly on the M6. What/how are you trying to connect with AirPlay ? Make sure that you Mac is pushing the right BT codec. For now the M6 can only receive SBC as far as I know. Updates on AAC and LDAC have been announced by FiiO

Jan 28, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #892 of 3,610
Thank you.

How are you connecting to airplay? It's work on my local network as well as hotspot from the iPhone. Do you have other airplay devices on your network? Airplay requires wifi connection...

With bt streaming there's an option in the BT menu to make it a receiver. You'll then need to turn BT option off and on. It should accept music now

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #893 of 3,610
FiiO said the filter for whitelisted apps is the apk package name. Actually I opend an apk, opend the XML file as text, and found were it said “package=“com.game.2048” (not whitelisted app) than changed the package name to com.spotify.music (wich is whitelisted) and saved it as an apk. Then I tried to run it on my fiio m6 and it didn’t work than I went to dev. options and “checked” ‘force any app on device’ or whatever that said, I tried again and it didn’t work. Than I tried changing the xml file that’s not whitelisted to an xml file that is whitelisted (where in the xml file the package name exists) I tried to run it on my fiio m6 and it still didn’t work. I know that the Samsung Exynos chip is very limited and all, but fiio: can you tell me what your real filter is?
I mean, all that work for nothing?

You can see how I changed the folder of the apk back to an apk:

(Download link in the description)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #894 of 3,610
M0 is more colored and I wouldn’t call m6 warm- it’s more neutral, say like Cayin n5ii or opus 1. Just not as much power/resolution. I mean it’s all subjective but I’m really sensitive to treble and M0 and AP80 both sound like the treble is boosted a bit under load ie with cans or iems.

That would probably be do to the particular output circuit that was used. Best thing to do is just try m6 our.

Funny I have heard the opposite from two other people. They claim the M6 is less neutral and the M0 has a flatter more neutral sound. I will have to listen myself to really make the decision on which way to go. I have another person I work with who wants to get the M0 after hearing mine. When I mentioned the M6 as an alternative he now wants to wait until I get one to try both before deciding. I should be asking Shanling for a commission at this point. :)

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #895 of 3,610
Funny I have heard the opposite from two other people. They claim the M6 is less neutral and the M0 has a flatter more neutral sound. I will have to listen myself to really make the decision on which way to go. I have another person I work with who wants to get the M0 after hearing mine. When I mentioned the M6 as an alternative he now wants to wait until I get one to try both before deciding. I should be asking Shanling for a commission at this point. :)

Always best to hear things yourself :wink: Also I think it depends on the cans or iems used too.

To my ears both M0 and AP80 sound a bit more v shaped with the mids back just a touch and the bass and treble a touch more forward- AP80 has more power and a bigger stage. Actually they are all very similar but the thing about the m6 that struck me was it didn’t sound as ‘compressed’ sounding giving a bit more space in the field and more room to breathe as it were. And also more linear and I like that.

Of course none sound ‘bad’ to me and I think it really comes down to UI and form factor and features. Do you want an exciting sounding cute tiny dap? Or do you want a little bigger one with a bit more features ? Or do you want a small candy bar shaped dap that can stream and has a great UI?

I think your cans or iems shape the sound way more than the dap you use anyways.

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #896 of 3,610
Always best to hear things yourself :wink: Also I think it depends on the cans or iems used too.

To my ears both M0 and AP80 sound a bit more v shaped with the mids back just a touch and the bass and treble a touch more forward- AP80 has more power and a bigger stage. Actually they are all very similar but the thing about the m6 that struck me was it didn’t sound as ‘compressed’ sounding giving a bit more space in the field and more room to breathe as it were. And also more linear and I like that.

Of course none sound ‘bad’ to me and I think it really comes down to UI and form factor and features. Do you want an exciting sounding cute tiny dap? Or do you want a little bigger one with a bit more features ? Or do you want a small candy bar shaped dap that can stream and has a great UI?

I think your cans or iems shape the sound way more than the dap you use anyways.

Yes the headphones used will make a big difference, with my B&W headphones I don't find the M0 sounds compressed. As for the shape I do have a sweet tooth so the candy bar shape sounds tasty. :) But yeah as much as I like the M0 for what it is the M6 just seems like a better fit for me. I don't normally buy DAP's with features I won't use like streaming which has no interest for me. But for the price of the M6 I can live without using all the features. The larger screen over the M0 I think will be a nice change as will replaygain but otherwise the M0 fits my needs very well.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #897 of 3,610
FiiO said the filter for whitelisted apps is the apk package name. Actually I opend an apk, opend the XML file as text, and found were it said “package=“com.game.2048” (not whitelisted app) than changed the package name to com.spotify.music (wich is whitelisted) and saved it as an apk. Then I tried to run it on my fiio m6 and it didn’t work than I went to dev. options and “checked” ‘force any app on device’ or whatever that said, I tried again and it didn’t work. Than I tried changing the xml file that’s not whitelisted to an xml file that is whitelisted (where in the xml file the package name exists) I tried to run it on my fiio m6 and it still didn’t work. I know that the Samsung Exynos chip is very limited and all, but fiio: can you tell me what your real filter is?
I mean, all that work for nothing?

You can see how I changed the folder of the apk back to an apk:

(Download link in the description)

Thanks.

Hi,i can't see the download link,can you send it to us so that we can check what happened.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #898 of 3,610
Yes the headphones used will make a big difference, with my B&W headphones I don't find the M0 sounds compressed. As for the shape I do have a sweet tooth so the candy bar shape sounds tasty. :) But yeah as much as I like the M0 for what it is the M6 just seems like a better fit for me. I don't normally buy DAP's with features I won't use like streaming which has no interest for me. But for the price of the M6 I can live without using all the features. The larger screen over the M0 I think will be a nice change as will replaygain but otherwise the M0 fits my needs very well.

I usually never stream either but I’be got to admit I’m enjoying the tidal free 3 month trial a lot. Plus it’s nice to have firmware upgrades over WiFi.

My main problem with M0 was getting to the LO setting and using it in the car- which I do a lot. M6 has a swipe down for LO and with the bigger screen it’s easier. I tried the AP80 because it had a swipe up for LO but the hit box detection is off and sometimes you have to hit the buttons several times before they respond.

And I guess Hidizs is horrible with firmware updates and customer service. So little m6 works a charm for me.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #899 of 3,610

Well this is me, totally :) I mean, I want my sound but even the fiiO X1/X1II sound great for me. I've bought several fIIO products because of the affordable price and their features. But the X1/X1II didn't have this great UI, specially the first one with its crazy wheel :D. I like to see the song name and it's too tiny a screen for me. But I use them with my home amps and they are great. Now, I'm buying the M6 for the features. In the end what I need is a small (iPhone 3 sized I guess.. cool!) affordable, Android smartphone with a nice DAC and fully dedicated to music, with streaming because I love Spotify's ease of use. And all the BT, USB DAC etc are sweet extras. I'm an IT guy and I love to have lots of possibilities. My main phone died and I was going to buy an LG V30 or something but .. duties separation is better!

Yeah this is an important thought. It is like full sized audio equipment, everything makes the sound chain, but the speakers are the real game changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back