[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Feb 20, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #3,136 of 3,610
Alright! I've been looking at other DAP's for the last hour, but I think I should just give the M6 a chance :).

Have you tried Tidal too by the way?
I did a trial of Tidal some time ago. It was fine. Once the programs open they scroll fast, but occasionally slow down a little due to RAM, but in honesty I sometimes get the same on my s9 plus. I had a Hiby R6 and a couple of iBasso DX 160's. Had to return them. R6 din't sound better than my S9 plus. The DX160 sounded great, but had unusable Bluetooth. Maybe the M6 doesn't sound as good as the DX160, but it is great Jack of all trades, with a clear sounding sabre DAC sound that is highly enjoyable and it will drive almost any IEM.

Feb 25, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #3,137 of 3,610
Fiio M7 ...advise, I did post up on the m7 thread....Anyway can somebody let me know if , and how you can play in shuffle mode ? on the m7. I can see that you can choose Play All from the internal 2gb memory....BUT how can you shuffle the music when in the external card , I only have a 128gb card in. I can play the cds, music, in folder mode, in order...etc.....But can you play in shuffle mode, all the sd card ? I can see that I can shuffle the actual cd youre in, but only the one.....So what do you think. thanks in advance.

Feb 25, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #3,138 of 3,610
I did a trial of Tidal some time ago. It was fine. Once the programs open they scroll fast, but occasionally slow down a little due to RAM, but in honesty I sometimes get the same on my s9 plus. I had a Hiby R6 and a couple of iBasso DX 160's. Had to return them. R6 din't sound better than my S9 plus. The DX160 sounded great, but had unusable Bluetooth. Maybe the M6 doesn't sound as good as the DX160, but it is great Jack of all trades, with a clear sounding sabre DAC sound that is highly enjoyable and it will drive almost any IEM.
Let's hope it drives my Oppo PM-3 better than my S9 does. I'm trying the M6 for sure!

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #3,139 of 3,610
there's something about samsung's usb implementation which makes using external DAC's really challenging
Interesting. Connecting a DAC [ E1DA PDV2 ] to my Note 8 couldn't have went more smoothly. Of course with that DAC having no battery an external battery pack and Y cable was a must. It would not power the PDV2 from its USB-C connector. Whereas I recall that my Note 3 would power a M9xx via OTG cable.

To everyone and anyone reading this thread. I only have a few hours of DAP research under my belt. Just attended NYC CANJAM. Wish I knew I'd be in the market for a DAP that does USB Audio Out at the time, to test things out at the vendor tables. But, lacking that, hope one of you kind souls can confirm somethings for me...

So do I understand correctly that with the M6 I will be able to do the following? ::

1. Use the M6 as a USB Audio source to a DAC [the E2DA PowerDAC V2, but for the sake of this question, any USB DAC]. Music is coming off a local SD Card in the M6.

2. It will stream up to 192kHz + 24-bit rates without typical Android 48kHz resampling.

3. As I will always be using a Y cable and battery pack to power the PDV2, the power draw from the M6 will be minimal to none. When I use my Note 8 as USB Audio Out source with UAPP as the player, the battery level hardly drops over hours of music play. Is the M6's USB-C implementation similarly intelligent?

4. I will actual be able to leave the M6 tethered to the PDV2 inside a hip/tactical pack, will never have to take it out, and can control the music selection playing from the SDCard in the M6 via FiiO Music player's Bluetooth or Link feature from my phone. (Which is it btw? I think Bluetooth) Given the PDV2 is itself controlled (volume, tone, eq) by the HPToy app, this would be ideal to me; with my phone as an untether remote controller to everything

Someone, please confirm all these use cases & modes work as I presume. Thank you! I will buying one tomorrow if all above needs work as so.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #3,140 of 3,610
No feedback on the above? :frowning2: okay, maybe too unique and noone runs this way.

Maybe someone can answer this tho? How responsive does the UI remain if I were to use a 1TB microsd and fill it up? Thanx for any informed replies.

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #3,141 of 3,610
I currently have the M6 running Fiio music connected to a Chord Mojo. I control the M6 over bluetooth using Fiio music on my Android phone. I'm interested in using Roon on the M6. Is there a way of controlling Roon from my phone over bluetooth? Roon remote?

Seems I missed the boat when this thread was active. Hope I catch you before I buy the M6.

How has your experience with ROON gone? This would be a use case for me too. Does the config of the M6 endpoint in Roon allow for at least 192kHz+24-bit?

Btw, I would presume you only need the headless RoonBridge part of RoonRemote on the M6, controlling everything from your phone's RoonRemote (as long as the M6 is not a Private Zone). Was this the case?

Also very vital to me ... the Mojo input light change color to represent the input bitrate. Can you confirm the M6 will transmit at least up to 192/24 to the Mojo? THANX!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #3,142 of 3,610
No feedback on the above? :frowning2: okay, maybe too unique and noone runs this way.

Maybe someone can answer this tho? How responsive does the UI remain if I were to use a 1TB microsd and fill it up? Thanx for any informed replies.

I only have a 64GB Sandisk card in mine, and it still has a fair bit of space left in it. Still, 'fast and snappy' isn't exactly the words that come to mind when I use the M6. Not sure how that would translate to your specific use case with a filled-to-the-brim 1TB card, but there it is.

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #3,143 of 3,610
Lol. Much thanx!

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #3,144 of 3,610
Fixed. Forgot to turn on Fiio Link on the M6. Works fine now.
You know. I sure had some frustration on getting FiiO Link to work. I guess my mistake was confusing the system setting with FiiO Music settings. I'm set now tho.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #3,145 of 3,610
I wish there was a way to install the latest version of UAPP!
Cant you now, with the latest firmware that allows one to disable the whitelist restriction?

Feb 28, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #3,147 of 3,610
No, because there is no play store access. You can install the trial, but will never be able to license.
Yup. I backed up my uapp apk and copied it over. And saw that error not long ago myself tonight. I'm working on that right now. But as its almost 2:30am, will put it aside until tomorrow. (What web browser runs on the M6? I keep getting "not compatible" errors with all i try to install.)

I bought an Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet not long ago. Not having the Google Store sucked. But there were instructions on the web with links that installed 3 apk apps & services. And viola, I had the Google Play store. Will be looking to do the same on this.

Feb 28, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #3,148 of 3,610
@FiiO

I know I'm late to the game. But is ES File Manager still the one you want customers to use? Who is the author in the app store? Because..

ES File Explorer was removed from the Google Play Store in April 2019, along with several other apps created by DU Group. It was reported by BuzzFeed News. It was claimed the company who owns ES File Explorer, DU Global, was committing 'click fraud' by clicking ads in users' apps in the background without permission.

There are at least four apps named "ES file manager / explorer" in the app store presently. By different authors. I'd like to know if I did not disable the whitelist, which is the one you whitelisted?

Also, is your customized Android based on Marshmallow, Android 6.0? Or another. I need to know that to know which version of something I need to install. Thanx.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #3,150 of 3,610
No, because there is no play store access. You can install the trial, but will never be able to license.
Man, this blows. After trying several different versions of installing Google Account, Service Framework, Play Service, and Play, it's always the same. First two install. Once Play Service is installed, the Service Framework goes into a loop of stopping. Luckily one can either restart in Safe Mode or click quickly between modal dialog boxes and uninstall the Play Service.

If UAPP publishers would just deliver an unlock app like some other players I purchased in the past, Play would be unnecessary. :frowning2:

EDIT: with all those many posts above the last few days, and time spend on getting UAPP to work today ... Man, what a waste of time!

I finally got my Mojo to both take a charge, start, and found the right combination of USB C, A, and micro B adapters and cables, that I could stream over USB from the M6 to the Mojo. It displays the sample rate using the color of the power light.

Lo and behold, the M6 is NOT resampling to 48kHz and is passing everything up to 24-bit 192kHz to the Mojo!

I'm thrilled. Just wish I turned my attention to that this morning instead of trying to get Google Play and the UAPP working on this thing first. Ugh & lol. Still, pretty thrilled tho!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back