[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Mar 13, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #1,741 of 3,610
MQA is coded below the normal flac level and the info is there. your frequency plotter does not decode MQA so all it sees is the regular flac file.

do you have something like dragon fly red or any other DAC that actually supports MQA? if so, play that file with that and see that it'll get encoded.

Hm, I should have something compatible and test.

Roon should work it, but I'm not sure what DAC to use :)

I think the decoder should 'unpack them' to a higher bitrate if I understand it correctly and it should say mqa I believe.

I guess not all daps can unfold them all the way. I remember the ak guy said the sr15 could unfold them all the way, weird. The only place I know to get them is Tidal anyways.

I can also get MQA from Tidal, and usually it simply works, it is offline files that make it more complicated. I'll keep looking into it (?)

Mar 14, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #1,742 of 3,610
As far as MQA support I understand there is a high licensing fee involved for devices that support it. I would imagine manufacturers that support it would make a point of highlighting that support with their DAP's. I did some reading on MQA awhile back and it is a little confusing. On one hand they say both the track and gear have to specifically support MQA. But then I read something from an engineer at Meridian who worked on MQA that said if it is processed in the original recording then MQA gear is not needed to hear the processing. So far the only DAP makers that claim support I believe are Sony and Onkyo/Pioneer unless more have been added recently as I read about MQA several months ago when I was considering purchasing a Sony NW-A50.

I don't put much stock in it unless as a user I have software available for me to MQA process my existing tracks. I certainly won't repurchase thousands of songs just to get MQA support assuming MQA processed version are even available. Adoption of MQA by streaming services will be the driving force behind it I think so people like me who don't use streaming services won't have much interest for now at least.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #1,744 of 3,610
sorry but i'm not here to debate the merits or the licensing costs of MQA. you can't "MQA process my existing tracks" if they're not encoded with MQA to begin with, you just as well up sample everything to 24/192 or whatever highest you can if you want "that". here's a very simple explanation of how the MQA unfolding is done.

what i'm simply asking is with regards to @FiiO post from January where they state that MQA is supported through Tidal and they're planning on including it in the next firmware update. Including it with Tidal costs them nothing because Tidal is actually already doing all the work for them, well, at least the 1x unfold. Where it'll cost them both $ and effort is to actually offer it in stand-alone mode, which seems like from the responses to this thread has not been implemented. It would be nice if @FiiO responded themselves.

As far as MQA support I understand there is a high licensing fee involved for devices that support it. I would imagine manufacturers that support it would make a point of highlighting that support with their DAP's.

I don't put much stock in it unless as a user I have software available for me to MQA process my existing tracks. I certainly won't repurchase thousands of songs just to get MQA support assuming MQA processed version are even available. Adoption of MQA by streaming services will be the driving force behind it I think so people like me who don't use streaming services won't have much interest for now at least.

Dear friend,

3. Yes, you would need to update the latest Tidal to get MQA work in M6. We will try to include the update in next firmware update as well.

Best regards

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #1,745 of 3,610
Yes, Roon should unfold it 1x time even if you don't have a compatible DAC. what that will tell you is:

1) That the files i sent you are legit MQA (although i don't need that validation :) )
2) that M6 can't natively decode MQA neither through SW or HW.

Hm, I should have something compatible and test.

Roon should work it, but I'm not sure what DAC to use :)

I can also get MQA from Tidal, and usually it simply works, it is offline files that make it more complicated. I'll keep looking into it (?)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #1,746 of 3,610
Update for the Canucks - So I contacted AVGear again this morning to get a status update on the missing M6s and also indicating that I was starting to get a little impatient about the situation (I mean the $220 charge has now been on my credit card for a month) and was informed that it appears their skid of product has gone missing. They went ahead and issued a refund to me - which hasn't appeared on my card yet but soon I assume. Frankly, the whole thing seems a little fishy to me but oh well. I guess I'll wait till there's actually inventory available...

edit - on second thought I went ahead and ordered it from Ali. Says delivery is only 7-16 days and the price was only about $15 more than Amazon.ca. Now, that refund better come through without issue from AVGear!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #1,747 of 3,610
I have a problem with de fiio M6. When I try to navigate into de folders the M6 doesn't sort de song into de folders when de songs start with name followed the number (Ex. Queen 1..... Queen 4..... Quen 2..... etc.) If the songs starts with number I don't have that problem.
Anyone have this problem too?

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #1,748 of 3,610
FiiO says it works with Tidal. Downloaded Tidal, and it works for me from Tidal :)

Offline files may not work because they don't have the proper clearance for the software to decode those files. But M6 can do airplay with ROON, so you can play offline files if you really want to :)

Mar 14, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,749 of 3,610
you mean M6 can airplay to a ROON end point? isn't airplay limited in bandwidth, and i'm assuming if you got ROON already and that can play full MQA why wouldn't you just do that?

FiiO says it works with Tidal. Downloaded Tidal, and it works for me from Tidal :)

Offline files may not work because they don't have the proper clearance for the software to decode those files. But M6 can do airplay with ROON, so you can play offline files if you really want to :)

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,750 of 3,610
I won't talk about MQA any more, just where TIDAL or ROON supports it. I simply lack the materials to study it, nothing I listen to isn't quite yet available in MQA offline to make any relevant tests :)

---

So, I tested M6 with Tidal today, from my smartphone. Played well, no interruptiuons.

Smartphone in one pocket. M6 in another pocket. Music played without interruptions, no dropouts, full quality. I am a happy man with M6 :)

So far, I noticed like 0 issues, and M6 is pretty much my dream ultra-portable :)

Thing is, it beats FiiO's own M7 and M3K for me. Better ergonomics and features than both combined. In fact, it feels like M7 and M3K combined, but more ergonomic (rounded design).

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #1,751 of 3,610
I won't talk about MQA any more, just where TIDAL or ROON supports it. I simply lack the materials to study it, nothing I listen to isn't quite yet available in MQA offline to make any relevant tests :)

---

So, I tested M6 with Tidal today, from my smartphone. Played well, no interruptiuons.

Smartphone in one pocket. M6 in another pocket. Music played without interruptions, no dropouts, full quality. I am a happy man with M6 :)

So far, I noticed like 0 issues, and M6 is pretty much my dream ultra-portable :)

Thing is, it beats FiiO's own M7 and M3K for me. Better ergonomics and features than both combined. In fact, it feels like M7 and M3K combined, but more ergonomic (rounded design).

Well features are really only better if you need them. I personally prefer the look of the M7 and I am getting great battery life from the M7 at almost 18 hours wired on first battery test. I'll take that over features I don't need and less battery life from the M6. The FM tuner works pretty well to and I will use it vs not using wifi and streaming capabilities at all so it really depends on what your needs and priorities are. I also prefer the dedicated buttons and volume wheel on the M7 vs the combined functionalities of the buttons on the M6.

Not to mention the nightmare people are going through buying the M6 locally at least in Canada, it isn't even listed on amazon.ca or bestbuy.ca right now. Better the DAP you can listen to then the DAP you have no idea when you can get. Some day I may actually get to try an M6 but for now I am very happy with the M7.

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,752 of 3,610
Well features are really only better if you need them. I personally prefer the look of the M7 and I am getting great battery life from the M7 at almost 18 hours wired on first battery test. I'll take that over features I don't need and less battery life from the M6. The FM tuner works pretty well to and I will use it vs not using wifi and streaming capabilities at all so it really depends on what your needs and priorities are. I also prefer the dedicated buttons and volume wheel on the M7 vs the combined functionalities of the buttons on the M6.

Not to mention the nightmare people are going through buying the M6 locally at least in Canada, it isn't even listed on amazon.ca or bestbuy.ca right now. Better the DAP you can listen to then the DAP you have no idea when you can get. Some day I may actually get to try an M6 but for now I am very happy with the M7.

I absolutely agree with you.

The one thing I really think M6 did for me that touched my soul, was the ergonomics. I simply love how ergonomic it is :)

M7 is the better device if you're looking at the features and such, much better actually. I simply am in love with how ergonomic M6 though, M7 has corners, and although M7 may even sound better, is more rich in features, the ergonomics of M6 are simply too good for me not to mention this a bit :)

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #1,753 of 3,610
I absolutely agree with you.

The one thing I really think M6 did for me that touched my soul, was the ergonomics. I simply love how ergonomic it is :)

M7 is the better device if you're looking at the features and such, much better actually. I simply am in love with how ergonomic M6 though, M7 has corners, and although M7 may even sound better, is more rich in features, the ergonomics of M6 are simply too good for me not to mention this a bit :)

I have both the M9 and M6 and I must agree and prefer the M6 to the M9. Ergonomically the M6 is the best DAP ever. Brilliant form factor. Great as an LDAC transmitter and receiver too. I can stream Spotify to my IEMs and I can send Spotify over WiFi to my HiFi, and it sounds excellent. The World Radio app is brilliant. To me the M6 is 10 out of 10.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #1,754 of 3,610

---

Lol yeah MQA is a cause of problems in every forum, let's enjoy the music :D

I agree with you, M6 with Tidal after the last Tidal update works very good! I'm happy that those problems are solved somehow. Yeah the M6 is a real find, hence its quick fame!

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #1,755 of 3,610
Talking about ergonomics, see how good a Blackberry Curve leather case fits for the M6. A pair made in Heaven :D

upload_2019-3-14_19-54-4.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back