[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Mar 9, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #1,696 of 3,610
I have few questions. If i connect M6 as DAC to my phone, how do i do it ? via headphone jack or use some USB cable ?
and using M6 as DAC, will the sound be processed in my phone 1st and then again processed on M6 ? same question for using it with desktop pc.

M6 should be able to provide enough power to drive Sony WH1000XM2 i hope. I will be using Shure 215 also but sometimes via FiiO BTR3 bluetooth dongle when need wireless freedom.

You need a USB OTG data cable to do audio out. And yes it will drive both those very nicely.

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,697 of 3,610
You need a USB OTG data cable to do audio out. And yes it will drive both those very nicely.
ok thanks. I am curious if i will downgrade the sound if i play the music on my phone and route it through the M6, or is it better to play the music directly on M6.
LDAC on my phone drains battery faster and hence i would prefer to have a standalone DAP.

I use spotify and google play music both for when i want to listen to random songs. I will be happy if they whitelist Google play music app and google podcasts on M6 only.

Mar 9, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #1,698 of 3,610
ok thanks. I am curious if i will downgrade the sound if i play the music on my phone and route it through the M6, or is it better to play the music directly on M6.
LDAC on my phone drains battery faster and hence i would prefer to have a standalone DAP.

I use spotify and google play music both for when i want to listen to random songs. I will be happy if they whitelist Google play music app and google podcasts on M6 only.

The M6 stands up on it's own as an excellent sounding player and will drive most IEM's loudly. I don't think it needs a phone.

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,699 of 3,610
I think it might just be that way on pie, LDAC was already enabled in the developer menu. And USB audio out works great on m6 :)
Motorola now says it's the hardware and despite the fact that it shows up in the developer menu, it's not capable of LDAC. And I only have 14 days to return the phone, so back it goes. Can't wait for updates. Sad, it was only $60 and it's actually pretty nice. Got the BTR3 today and the best it can do with the Moto E5 is aptX (and not even HD). Supposedly the Moto X4 can to LDAC, but it's $150. So the issues with the M6 is the phone, not the M6 after all.

I like the M6, but it needs better support with network files. Unless I'm doing something wrong, it's just too clunky to manage a DLNA server with thousands of files.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #1,702 of 3,610
The M6 stands up on it's own as an excellent sounding player and will drive most IEM's loudly. I don't think it needs a phone.
True. I think the very flexibility it offers makes us WANT MORE :D which is great, but the M6 surely can live on its own: local files, Tidal (now it seems ok!), Spotify, Airplay, Line Output, BT output with the best codecs is something I could have dreamed of before. And more! (some things I don't even count, DAC usage for example, I have the Q1). And still I'm hopeful it will improve in some areas in the next firmwares.

Motorola now says it's the hardware and despite the fact that it shows up in the developer menu, it's not capable of LDAC. And I only have 14 days to return the phone, so back it goes. Can't wait for updates. Sad, it was only $60 and it's actually pretty nice. Got the BTR3 today and the best it can do with the Moto E5 is aptX (and not even HD). Supposedly the Moto X4 can to LDAC, but it's $150. So the issues with the M6 is the phone, not the M6 after all.

I like the M6, but it needs better support with network files. Unless I'm doing something wrong, it's just too clunky to manage a DLNA server with thousands of files.

Yeah I was pretty sure that was a hardware limit; I went thru the same thing thing for USB Audio Output on the G5. I used to have a great Nexus 6P and bought the Moto as a second phone, but now the 6P is dead and G5 is the primary one. So, trying not to spend more money on phones, now music is covered. Oh so it only does APTX with the BTR3 (I fear my Moto G5 won't do LDAC either on the BTR3.. so I'll keep the BTR1K for now it sounds great).

But yes, of course it won't cover ALL the aspects. And yes, DLNA sucks lol, it's the protocol indeed, always problems. Nothing like a direct Samba connection; we'll see how that evolves, as the capabilities are there in Android, just whitelisting the necessary app or improving the FIIO Music app to read from samba shares would do the trick.

Mar 10, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #1,703 of 3,610
i want to use it with a phone as at times i will be using some streaming services which are not present on M6.

The most important way of using the M6 is whichever way is needed. There are some ways of using the M6 that even FiiO may not be too conversant with. Nevertheless if needed the M6 is a fine player and simply putting in some IEMs/Headphones will 'warm the cockles of ones heart' (old English expression).

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #1,705 of 3,610
Has someone tried the line-out on m6 connected to a portable/seperate amp. If so, how does it compare to m6 directly driving let’s say power hungry cans (i.e sennheiser 6xx)

M6 can't drive an HD600 properly. It only puts 7mW into 300 ohms and has a max voltage output of 4.24Vp-p. Pair it with a Q5 with the right amp, or A5, and there is a definite difference - both in head-room and bass response.

Mar 10, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #1,706 of 3,610
M6 can't drive an HD600 properly. It only puts 7mW into 300 ohms and has a max voltage output of 4.24Vp-p. Pair it with a Q5 with the right amp, or A5, and there is a definite difference - both in head-room and bass response.
Oh its good to know. I have a topping nx5 portable amp. I understand from your response that it is good to accompany m6 (i.e line out) with my portable amp to drive my senn 650.

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,707 of 3,610
IMHO yes.

To cut a short story long...I bought my wife the M9 for xmas, and in return she got the me M0 which i thought was fine as I'm spoiled for musical gadgetry (I have the X7ii and other kit so I thought the M0 would be fine to fill the ultraportable hole, lol). Then I became distinctly jealous of my wife, haha. Well... jealous is a bit OTT, but the old gadget lust kicked in when I got my mitts on the M9. So I was actually about to try and sneak the M9 under the radar then noticed the M6. Whoa! I was smitten. Couldn't find it in stock anywhere (this was mid jan i guess?) and was going back to consider the M9 again. Managed to find the M6 in stock at B&H and pulled the trigger. 2 days later i was comparing to the M9.

Honesty... if the M9 was the same price I'd probably go for it, MAYBE - the decision would be harder, but it's not.

I run balanced on the FH5's (works with my X7ii) and I'd maybe have gone for the M9 (if same price or not much in it), but even then the form factor is really great on the M6, it's just nicer, imo, than the M9. which is bulkier, heavier and "sharper" than the M6. The M6 is like a smooth pebble in comparison and so small and light. Bang for buck, it's a no brainer. 2 for the price of 1, lol. I'd get 2, m6's in preference to one m9 any day.

Ill try and run some further listening tests in the next day or 2, will try also with my big T1 cans to compare output, and maybe the T1's will resolve more too from the M9.

The M9's sound is a little more refined but with plenty of impact and has a wider soundstage. The balanced 2.5mm jack makes it more powerful. The M9 has Spdif out. The M9 does sound a little better but the M6 has many advantages. I tend to pick up the M6. It's sound quality is excellent and Bluetooth sounds louder from the M6 as a source. In combination with the FiiO BTR3 in LDAC, it is really something. The M9 is no faster than the M6 but is larger. The M6 has the headphone jack on top, which is better for me in practice as I put it in a shirt or top jacket pocket. The M6 drives my, many, headphones with plenty enough power on its own, but may struggle with really high impedance headphones. I am a big fan of the M6 and it's worth being patient for. Spotify works similarly on both DAPs and although not instantaneous is very usable. Both are great DAPs but the M6 is amazing value and is my go to because it's form factor is perfect, and it handles a lot better than the M9. M6 10 out of 10.
I and a friend are now completely convinced, we're buying the M6. Also, just read through the whole thread. I'm coming from an iPod Classic and he from a Sony 35, and we're both really excited. The stock of the stores will arrive next weekend.

The thing is Fiio will have an event on the 16th. We will probably hold off until the event ends.

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,708 of 3,610
I and a friend are now completely convinced, we're buying the M6. Also, just read through the whole thread. I'm coming from an iPod Classic and he from a Sony 35, and we're both really excited. The stock of the stores will arrive next weekend.

The thing is Fiio will have an event on the 16th. We will probably hold off until the event ends.
Coming from A35 what kind of change is he looking at?

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #1,710 of 3,610
I think he wants something portable and his A35 is showing its age? Also, the proprietary cable.

Would you say the M6 is an ugrade from the iPod Classic?
Dont really remember how the iPod classic sounded but the SQ on both the M6 and A35 are very very different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back