[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Feb 21, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,352 of 3,610
Lol that was my first and last experience with Hidizs. Yes they basically disappear once they have your money and are horrible on firmware updates. I sold mine due to poor hitbox detection having me to hit buttons several times. It did sound nice, but m6 still has a wider stage and it had magic 8 ball dsp to adjust the sound bit it and the company seemed half ass.

Build quality on mine was ok - although you could still see polishing grit in the grooves on the back (very sloppy), but I guess some people’s scroll wheels were very loose and some fell off, and with the poor customer service... Well you see where I’m going, I wouldn’t recommend them my friend no no no. I’d take M0, A55,R3, and definitely m6 over the AP80.

I guess there are people with models from them (Hidizs) that are several years old that never received promised features, and firmware support is non existent. Unless they miraculously improved over the last month- haven’t followed the AP80 thread.

I stand behind m6 it’s a great dap and the niggles I have with it well they are about streaming tidal which won’t effect you. Other than that it’s a fantastic dap.

I love Sony, because they always have a great sound stage and a meaty sound and great battery life, but I really like the ESS based Sabre sound, and have grown really fond of Spotify. I like m6 so much I purchased an amp to run through it so I can dust off my sennhieser hd600’s.

I’m also thinking about getting the Sony1000mx3 to use with m6, they sound fantastic and are seem really comfy- one of the few things I got to demo at the Sony store. I’m actually listening to wireless LDAC from Spotify on the m6 as I type this and it sounds amazing! Lol I’m rambling but no I can’t in good conscious recommend the AP80 it’s got some nice features and good sound but it’s iffy build and support and just the horrible attitude of the company I say STAY AWAY! :)

Thanks so much for the advice, I will definitely pass on it then. I would buy you a coffee to say thanks but it would be cold by the time I ship it to you. :)

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #1,353 of 3,610
weak CPU would affect DLNA playback too i guess but i am able to play 24/96 files stored on a media server without any issues. Perhaps its something else.

Good point on the DLNA playback, this is a positive and hopefully means that Fiio can address the problem.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #1,354 of 3,610
I’m also thinking about getting the Sony1000mx3 to use with m6, they sound fantastic and are seem really comfy- one of the few things I got to demo at the Sony store. I’m actually listening to wireless LDAC from Spotify on the m6 as I type this and it sounds amazing!

I approached this from the other angle. Got the Sony wh-1000xm3 for its noise cancelling and then looked for a small LDAC player, and got the M6. Sounds great and while the player is in my gym bag, I can choose Next Track or volume with the touch control gestures on the right side ear cup. Next objective is equalizing as the Sony is a bit bass heavy for me.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #1,355 of 3,610
That’s what I was saying earlier, maybe the processer and memory resources near a tweak in a firmware upgrade, the stuttering and cutting songs at the end of one and start of another suggests some kind of memory management issue.
Seen this before with daps from both Fiio and Cayin
Dear friend,

Have you tried to update the Tidal in 2.11.4 for check? Because some users mentioned their issue with Tidal solved after the APP update.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #1,356 of 3,610
Dear friend,

Have you tried to update the Tidal in 2.11.4 for check? Because some users mentioned their issue with Tidal solved after the APP update.

Best regards

Hi, thanks for the quick response.
No I just checked and it appears I’m on 2.11.1
I’ll do the update and report back.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #1,357 of 3,610
I approached this from the other angle. Got the Sony wh-1000xm3 for its noise cancelling and then looked for a small LDAC player, and got the M6. Sounds great and while the player is in my gym bag, I can choose Next Track or volume with the touch control gestures on the right side ear cup. Next objective is equalizing as the Sony is a bit bass heavy for me.

The latest firmware for the Sony’s tamed the bass a little, not by a big margin but noticeable

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #1,358 of 3,610
Hi @FiiO

I'm not sure if there is policy to reply to problems or bug fixes on these pages but perhaps you could advise if I'm wasting my time collating and sending message?

Some weeks ago I advised this:

"@FiiO

I have a question, is it just me or is the search on the fiio app broken?

I can't get my head around it... I type, say "Genesis" in the search box. It kindly shows me a couple of TRACKS with the word genesis in them, then the fact that there 132 tracks of the ARTIST genesis, and finally one ALBUM called genesis. If i click on the ARTIST icon (Imagining in some other logic based universe that it would go to the artist, genesis), it immediately starts playing the 132 genesis tracks. I can see all the tracks in a big "playlist" but it doesn't even mention which album they are from.

i.e. theres no flippin way to show the albums of the artist "genesis", via the search feature. What???

1stly, is this normal? 2ndly how do you work around it and why is it not clamoured for being changed in these pages? :)

BTW I've had the M6 for around 18hrs now. Lots to love. The form factor, screen and sound are great. Qobuz works OK too."

then subsequently this:

"@FiiO

please can I have a response to the above?

Also ref the folder view, why is the text truncated ? And why have the folder icon taking up valuable real estate? the width should be used in its entirety to MAXIMISE the folder text. Even the play buttons for each folder is superfluous; short press to open folder, long press to play, for example.

Also in album view, it would great to see the Artist also as a subset of the information

These "little" things would make the player so great!

Or simply whitelist some 3rd party players, like UAPP for example.

10242674.png

"

Neither of these 2 posts have received a response to acknowledge the issues.

Please can you advise further as my time is precious to me and I would not like to spend it further trying to elicit a response if there is to be none forthcoming. However, both of these issues are important, especially the non-functioning search feature which is extremely frustrating, as there are no other apps one can use as alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #1,359 of 3,610
@FiiO
Happy to report that it appears that the latest APK seems to resolve the issue. I've only tried a couple of tracks offline and online but seems ok. I've also streamed a couple of Masters tracks with no issue.
Excellent.

Might be worth putting the latest APK on your page @FiiO

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #1,360 of 3,610
Hi @FiiO

I'm not sure if there is policy to reply to problems or bug fixes on these pages but perhaps you could advise if I'm wasting my time collating and sending message?

Some weeks ago I advised this:

"@FiiO

I have a question, is it just me or is the search on the fiio app broken?

I can't get my head around it... I type, say "Genesis" in the search box. It kindly shows me a couple of TRACKS with the word genesis in them, then the fact that there 132 tracks of the ARTIST genesis, and finally one ALBUM called genesis. If i click on the ARTIST icon (Imagining in some other logic based universe that it would go to the artist, genesis), it immediately starts playing the 132 genesis tracks. I can see all the tracks in a big "playlist" but it doesn't even mention which album they are from.

i.e. theres no flippin way to show the albums of the artist "genesis", via the search feature. What???

1stly, is this normal? 2ndly how do you work around it and why is it not clamoured for being changed in these pages? :)

BTW I've had the M6 for around 18hrs now. Lots to love. The form factor, screen and sound are great. Qobuz works OK too."

then subsequently this:

"@FiiO

please can I have a response to the above?

Also ref the folder view, why is the text truncated ? And why have the folder icon taking up valuable real estate? the width should be used in its entirety to MAXIMISE the folder text. Even the play buttons for each folder is superfluous; short press to open folder, long press to play, for example.

Also in album view, it would great to see the Artist also as a subset of the information

These "little" things would make the player so great!

Or simply whitelist some 3rd party players, like UAPP for example.

10242674.png

"

Neither of these 2 posts have received a response to acknowledge the issues.

Please can you advise further as my time is precious to me and I would not like to spend it further trying to elicit a response if there is to be none forthcoming. However, both of these issues are important, especially the non-functioning search feature which is extremely frustrating, as there are no other apps one can use as alternative.

Thanks in advance.

And the stuttering tidal when using Bluetooth, cmon where’s James!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #1,361 of 3,610

I’d install the Sony headphone app, and use that Eq, it’s bound to be better than the Fiio one.

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #1,362 of 3,610
@JamesFiiO

Poor search functions and total lack of casting ability of the Fiio app. Over a period of months I have asked Fiio why there is no casting feature on the Fiio M6 and previously on the M9. My main use of both the M6/M9 is to use with IEM's or headphones. The M6 when out, in a shirt pocket and the M9 at home. I also have a home hifi setup and I have a WiFi streamer connected to an amp and speakers. Using both M6 and M9 I can find my WiFi streamer using Spotify (with a phone app open). It's really good, in fact love it. I listen over my HiFi. The Fiio App itself though is incapable of finding a Wifi streamer directly. So in effect the local files on the M6/M9 cannot be played to my HiFi. Spotify... yes, Fiio app.... no. Very silly not to be able to use the Fiio app to cast from the M6/M9. I do not believe there isn't an app somewhere that is compatible with the M6 and Exynos chip that can do this. Even ES file explorer can cast music, albeit with a poor sound quality. So there are many issues around the Fiio App. When I suggested Fiio were protecting their app, their response was denial and seeming annoyance even though not ONE local music playing app has since been whitelisted. Not ONE! Please Fiio your app has too many severe faults. For me it does not cast. For others it has poor search functions. The Samsung Exynos chip is quite capable of casting and searching. The search functions of the app are poor. I have been on many sites and defended the M6 hardware (some try to undermine it). I own more Fiio hardware than most people. I am your ally. But the truth will out software wise. Wake up Fiio and fix these problems on your app, or allow a couple of apps that do work to solve these problems, to be whitelisted. Why shouldn't we as customers have a right to request improvement? We own these DAP's and I am sure you are not wanting to ignore us. Or are you? We are not talking hardware we are talking about software which can be translated to mean... will you be bothered or not. Why don't you keep us in the loop around your tests of specific apps so that you can honestly say they don't work? Why don't you have a user group who can test some apps?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #1,364 of 3,610
Dear friend,

Best regards

Dear friend,

I know the FiiO M6 is new, but when can we expect a different Color M6 like Purple. :kissing_heart:

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #1,365 of 3,610
+1 on the casting app. Very much so.

Has Fiio ever replied to say it's not possible, or in the pipeline, etc?

The normal response is to say how incapable the Samsung Exynos chip is, how little RAM it has etc. That has a basis of some reality but it is being used as a catch all statement. ES file explorer can cast very poorly as it was not really designed for that. Search functions are maths and programming and can be improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back