[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Feb 8, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #1,066 of 3,610
I’m sure M9 will sound better than M7, no doubt. I can tell you m6 sounds close to M0 but with a more evenness across the board and a tiny bit more polite that some might not like. But I like the wider more spread out stage of the M6.

M9 is probably better than both in staging and tone. I have an AK SR15 and while the m6 doesn’t put me off- the SR15 is wider and more 3D and has more detail and dynamics and a more realistic tone.

I think you’ll find that with the m9 :wink:

Oh and my R3 has pretty good battery life and the balanced sounded nice and the magic 8 ball dsp was fun to play with. I hope Fiio adds something like that because it was better than Sony Eq dsp effects and they are good.

Good luck :) :wink:

Yeah again not available in Canada at the moment and when it comes to Chinese DAP's I really feel the need to demo before I buy. I mean Sony is more of an known entity for me and less of a gamble for me. My M0 was the first I ever bought undemoed and while it isn't perfect it has worked out pretty well. Now I am more comfortable with buying Shanling DAP's in the future. The next is Fiio and getting over my early disappointments with their DAP's to give them another try.

I read the M7 review on themasterswitch.com that pretty much calls the M7 an M0 with a bigger screen and better battery life for about $100 more. They claim they get 22 hours wired and 25 unwired from the M7. So do I want another M0 clone with a bigger screen and much better battery life. The other option is to upgrade to the M9 for better sound, more power, but much better battery life.

I mean an M0 with a bigger screen would probably be a keeper for me but is it worth $120 more? Is the M9 worth $250 more than the M0? Only a demo will tell and I am still looking for a place to demo the M9.

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #1,067 of 3,610
Yeah again not available in Canada at the moment and when it comes to Chinese DAP's I really feel the need to demo before I buy. I mean Sony is more of an known entity for me and less of a gamble for me. My M0 was the first I ever bought undemoed and while it isn't perfect it has worked out pretty well. Now I am more comfortable with buying Shanling DAP's in the future. The next is Fiio and getting over my early disappointments with their DAP's to give them another try.

I read the M7 review on themasterswitch.com that pretty much calls the M7 an M0 with a bigger screen and better battery life for about $100 more. They claim they get 22 hours wired and 25 unwired from the M7. So do I want another M0 clone with a bigger screen and much better battery life. The other option is to upgrade to the M9 for better sound, more power, but much better battery life.

I mean an M0 with a bigger screen would probably be a keeper for me but is it worth $120 more? Is the M9 worth $250 more than the M0? Only a demo will tell and I am still looking for a place to demo the M9.

Can we keep the discussion in the M6? Comparing stuff with the M6 is fine in my opinion, but now it's moving towards other devices and general DAP discussion.

On another note, has anyone found a tempered glass screen protector that fits the M6? At least anyone on aliexpress has not yet jumped on the opportunity of selling them

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #1,068 of 3,610
I so miss my audio sales days when you could go into a dealer, sit in a nice comfy chair in a sound room and spend the day in audio bliss trying out gear. Now its order online, wait for delivery and hope it is what you are looking for and trying to ship it back if it isn't. My god when did we become so uncivilized. :)

I kind of feel like DAP's are becoming more about the gimmicks and less about the sound. I think what is giving me pause about the Fiio DAP's is they seem to be going down the Apple road. Putting the features ahead of the sound quality to some extent. I mean all the antennas and wifi and the additional circuitry must be affecting the sound quality to some degree. That is why I don't want to buy a DAP with features I don't need like wifi because they take away from the sound quality. Give me a plain old DAP with LDAC bluetooth support, decent power and battery life and color me happy. You can keep your new fangled Tidal wave and yer Potify and let me listen to my music in peace already. :ksc75smile:

In defence of the M6 I don't think that there are any gimmicks. It, to me, sounds better than my older FiiO X1 and my FiiO X3ii. Being able to stream over WiFi is excellent. I only use Spotify and that I give 10/10. Bluetooth APTX-HD and LDAC are so much better than previous bluetooths. I am really into HiFi so I often use my M6 as an LDAC Bluetooth receiver connected by a 3.5mm to 2 RCA on my AMP. I can even connect wired to my amp and control the M6 from my phone using Fiio Link. It sounds totally HiFi. The Sabre ESS chip is top notch and, to me, sounds it. IEM's/Headphones make a bigger difference to sound than anything else. The M6 hardware is of high quality for the money. The M6 is as functional and sound orientated little DAP as possible.

Steve

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #1,069 of 3,610
In defence of the M6 I don't think that there are any gimmicks. It, to me, sounds better than my older FiiO X1 and my FiiO X3ii. Being able to stream over WiFi is excellent. I only use Spotify and that I give 10/10. Bluetooth APTX-HD and LDAC are so much better than previous bluetooths. I am really into HiFi so I often use my M6 as an LDAC Bluetooth receiver connected by a 3.5mm to 2 RCA on my AMP. I can even connect wired to my amp and control the M6 from my phone using Fiio Link. It sounds totally HiFi. The Sabre ESS chip is top notch and, to me, sounds it. IEM's/Headphones make a bigger difference to sound than anything else. The M6 hardware is of high quality for the money. The M6 is as functional and sound orientated little DAP as possible.

Steve

AMEN!

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #1,070 of 3,610

If the M6 has better highs than the M7 and by consensus it does, then m7 is not going to sound like the M0. M6 would be closer. Anyways like I said I don’t think you can make a wrong choice- but just on function and Bluetooth performance and audio alone I’d go with m6 over m7.

I’ll do a battery run down test just out of curiosity on m6, but I’d say it’s pretty close to the mark and that’s impressive for its size.

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #1,071 of 3,610

Steve

I feel the same way, I can’t fault this little gem in anyway. And I even forgot about Fiio link- even more functionality. :) Oh and x3ii was one of my favorite little daps, and m6 is a HUGE step up in every way.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,072 of 3,610
I hear ya, same here, gotta enjoy things now. To be honest I wouldn't have even bothered for a hi-res DAP before the M6 because the u$s 400-500 range or something is unpayable for me. Heck u$s 149 (plus the cost of importing etc it's been about u$s 225) has been a stretch. But at that price and with all those FEATURES I felt compelled (it helped that my Nexus phone died on me). Previously I only bought the X1/X1II which are fine but nowhere near in features terms. I do want the WIFI option, yeah, I rarely take the time to fill up my SD Card (or I never have there what I want :D ) and I rely on Spotify for my day's mood.

They've recently set up a FiiO store in my country (well done!) but they are a virtual store, no demo products at all. Also the M6 will take a long time to come here I guess (they need to clear up old models stock for sure)

FiiO really hit the sweet spot with the M6. The M9 is awesome in its price category and the M7 has its public too; so in general it's a smart line they designed. If it wasn't for the M6, truth is I would have probably taken the M3K road or even stuck to the BTR1K which sounds really good and it's really comfortable. Delighted with the little thing.

I hope you love the unit & get much joy from the music.

You sound like a decent person.

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,074 of 3,610

Steve
If it sounds any better (or even the same :D ) than my current X1 I'm happy! I'll also be mostly a Spotify user! And also HIFI (lots of vintage amps lol) I now use my X1/X1II only as source to my home amps in fact. Yeah Sabre.. So many great details! Bear with me guys I'll be drooling over this until I get the unit, soon soon! :D

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #1,075 of 3,610
Of course that'd be great. But I'm wondering how it would work out, as it's Android after all. My now defunct Nexus 6P started to rotate the main screen since Android 8 I think. My current Moto G5, just upgraded to Oreo 8.0 doesn't rotate it but does rotate apps that support rotation (which is funny, when it comes back to the main screen, it's rotated for a second and then.. back to portrait).

What's more interesting, the FIIO music app in my Moto G5 doesn't support rotation at all (the startup splash screen does rotate but in a blurry manner, then it goes to portrait). So.. I don't think it works unless they do some android tweaking, what of course they have done already :)

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #1,077 of 3,610
If it sounds any better (or even the same :D ) than my current X1 I'm happy! I'll also be mostly a Spotify user! And also HIFI (lots of vintage amps lol) I now use my X1/X1II only as source to my home amps in fact. Yeah Sabre.. So many great details! Bear with me guys I'll be drooling over this until I get the unit, soon soon! :D

Bloody...I'm nervous. I hope you like it. It does take a day or two to open up (I'm gonna get some stick for saying that). If you connect it to your HiFi I am sure you will be happy. Spotify at high quality (320kbps OGG Vorbis), is to my silly ears, virtually as good as lossless. In fact using the FiiO app even MP3 sounds super. Hope you get a lot of joy out of it. Won't be like a $3000 Astell and Kern but it will give you a lot of joy that's for sure. As a little great extra I now listen, because of the Android interface, to more music on the M6 than I've ever listened to before.

Steve

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #1,078 of 3,610
Bloody...I'm nervous. I hope you like it. It does take a day or two to open up (I'm gonna get some stick for saying that). If you connect it to your HiFi I am sure you will be happy. Spotify at high quality (320kbps OGG Vorbis), is to my silly ears, virtually as good as lossless. In fact using the FiiO app even MP3 sounds super. Hope you get a lot of joy out of it. Won't be like a $3000 Astell and Kern but it will give you a lot of joy that's for sure. As a little great extra, I now listen, because of the Android interface, to more music on the M6 than I've ever listened to before.

Steve
Glad I'm sharing the nerves :D - the guy who imported this said he *would* have it next week. Geez, playing with my heart, this fella!. Well I'll take all time necessary lol. For me the M6 will be like a Astel & Kern!

Spotify is .. like the elephant in the room: MUSIC right? it helps me finding new music! I'm into a music reviewer's group and the kids there know every album ever published lol. And I find great stuff thanks to them and I want to have my spotify there to listen immediately (granted not everything is in there but at least 80% which is great).

For me sound is getting to a point where i'm satisfied (give or take a point) so it's all about ubiquity. I want music everywhere, that's how I listen in turntables, my computer etc. And I really enjoy each of these different tribes, the guys in love with their hardware gear, the kids mentioned above who listen with two cans and a string but are so happy, the guys who collect albums for the different covers! It's what makes my life bright everyday, the gadgets magic, and the music!

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,079 of 3,610
I think a toggle to rotate apps that support it would be enough, since I don't think it has a gyrometer, anyway it is the only improvement that I can think off on this great little dap.
Well that sounds like an easy solution, I like it. A manual toggle, and you're right I don't think this has a gyrometer (I looked up in the exynos specs, they're not there.. or are they addons? The Gear S3 watch has gyrometer and it's a 7270.. ). But anyway I think a toggle is even better. Never liked auto rotate that much.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #1,080 of 3,610
I’m on a 3 month trial of Tidal and I love it, but lots seem to like Spotify so I might have to try that. Is it better do you think?

Anyways greenflash, I’ll go out on a limb and say you’ll absolutely be delighted with M6. It’s got everything a growing audiophile needs:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back