FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Dec 9, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #886 of 2,001
Whoever asked about a file limit... I have roughly 4000 tracks on my mSD but it will only show 3773. Really annoying but not a deal breaker... I haven't found the UI to be as bad as some though. It needs a bit of work but it's now my on the go player due to size, sound and ease of one handed use.

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #887 of 2,001
Whoever asked about a file limit... I have roughly 4000 tracks on my mSD but it will only show 3773. Really annoying but not a deal breaker... I haven't found the UI to be as bad as some though. It needs a bit of work but it's now my on the go player due to size, sound and ease of one handed use.

For sure not a deal breaker for me and outside of being trapped on a deserted island (yes I have my solar usb charger with me) I could live with 3773 tracks
popcorn.gif

I'm having a blast with my M3, I never did have the error problem, went right into menu and toggled to language and changed it
wink_face.gif
Give me "MOE, MOE, MOE"

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #888 of 2,001
For sure not a deal breaker for me and outside of being trapped on a deserted island (yes I have my solar usb charger with me) I could live with 3773 tracks
popcorn.gif

I'm having a blast with my M3, I never did have the error problem, went right into menu and toggled to language and changed it
wink_face.gif
Give me "MOE, MOE, MOE"

look nice, maybe next time instead of your solar charger you shoul use AA betteries ;P lol

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #890 of 2,001

popcorn.gif

wink_face.gif

look nice, maybe next time instead of your solar charger you shoul use AA betteries ;P lol

OK, from one Texan to another I was not the one who started and wanted the interchangeable batteries in the M3 only stated to the battery life in my RS Tomahawk
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #891 of 2,001
  How do you like me? How do you like me?
Moe, Moe, Moe!
Why don't you like me? Nobody likes me...
biggrin.gif

Anyway, mine should be here on Friday. Looking forward to the sound, though I'm a bit wary of the UI.

It will take a little getting used to but be patient. I find the lack of file types to be a bigger downer but like most things audio you can find your way around things if not just getting them in the format this player likes. Like I've said the SQ, size and build quality are worth the admission price alone. I used to love my Zen Mosaic but this unit is miles ahead of that player and almost as small
wink_face.gif
wink_face.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #892 of 2,001

It will take a little getting used to but be patient. I find the lack of file types to be a bigger downer but like most things audio you can find your way around things if not just getting them in the format this player likes. Like I've said the SQ, size and build quality are worth the admission price alone. I used to love my Zen Mosaic but this unit is miles ahead of that player and almost as small
wink_face.gif
wink_face.gif

Good enough for me. Thanks! Looking forward to it.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #893 of 2,001
I have a question about the UI. Is this folder based the same way the Xduoo X2 is or does it have one like the Sansa Clip plus where you can view by songs, artists, albums, or genres ?

Its the one thing i hate about the X2.

Is there anyone that can post a pic of how the UI looks for searching for files ?

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #894 of 2,001
Final thoughts,

I have been willing until now to make excuses for Fiio's continued insistence on releasing incomplete or buggy products but I can't anymore, time is up!!

As someone who sold home and portable audio equipment for years I am going to make some observations here you may not like regarding Fiio.

First off, you can no longer call Fiio new to the DAP market and excuse their buggy products on first release.  I have owned several Fiio amps and DAC/amps and have been very happy for the most part.  I have sold or returned every Fiio DAP I have ever purchased because they seem incapable of releasing a stable relatively bug free product on first release.  I get tired of waiting for Fiio to release multiple firmware updates to finally have a properly working device.  I usually end up buying something else while waiting for Fiio to get their products updated.  I am currently using a Sony A17 and have no issues at all in over a year.  Sony has released one firmware update to fix a minor issue and all other updates were to improve or add features.

In this day and age that Fiio continues to release DAP's with so many issues is inexcusable.  You can't tell me that with proper alpha and beta testing they couldn't have identified most of these problems and had them fixed prior to the product release.  It doesn't matter if it's a $60.00 product or a product is several hundred dollars they need to work properly out of the box.   Fiio has become a major player in the portable audio market and now they need to start acting like one.  Yes there are other portable audio companies out there that release buggy products but just because they do doesn't mean Fiio has to.  Chances are I would never consider buying most of these other companies products like I have with Fiio.  Having worked in retail I can tell you that companies don't want to carry buggy products because it means product returns and unhappy customers.

I was really interested in the M3 initially and may still be down the road but once again Fiio has dropped the ball and released a not ready for prime time product.  If Fiio could ever get their quality control process figured out they could release some great products but right now they seem either incapable or unwilling to do that.  I am very tech savvy and comfortable doing firmware updates but most consumers are not and won't have the patience to wait for Fiio to address problems before returning their products.  I know because I have seen it first hand!!   This forum represents a very small portion of Fiio's potential customers most of whom won't go searching for forums to help address issues they are having with their products, they will simply return them.

It is time for Fiio to take the next step as a company and start releasing stable polished products on first release!

Okey you can all start bashing my comments now!!

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #895 of 2,001

Okey you can all start bashing my comments now!!

Why would we bash your comments?  Its an opinion - one that some will relate to, and some will not.

I'd suggest that for some who want perfection from the get-go, then the M3 won't be on your radar.  And if you've come from an Apple or Sony eco-system, then the Fiio UI will probably seem cumbersome, unintuitive, and unprofessional.  And that's cool - for your preferences, the M3 doesn't work.

For someone like me, who has been through a lot of other DAPs - including many very expensive ones with fantastic hardware and very basic UI's - then my impressions and tolerances are very different.  I'd suggest anyone going from a Studio Anniversary 3rd (tiny device, long battery life, sounds fantastic, costs $300+) to the M3 would have a ttally different view of how good the M3 is. And therefore, opinion is a matter of perspective.

I love this little device.  It works (I ahven't had a crash in almost 2 weeks).  It's tiny.  It has great battery life. It sounds fantastic.  And for my browsing preferences, I can negotiate my way around it easily, find tracks easily, listen to albums easily.  I still can't believe for $55 I can pair this particular device with a pair of $600 Adel U6 IEMs and have a fantastic sounding truly portable rig.

But those are my preferences.

Yes - it has a few bugs - with Fiio's track record, they don't bother me.  They aren't Sony or Apple - this is how they release, and get feedback, and correct, and evolve.  If the Fiio model isn't for you - then take your wallet elsewhere.  No harm, no foul, no bad words or bashing required.  You're just not compatible with what they do.

Enjoy the Sony - they are also great DAPs.  I'll continue to enjoy the M3.
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #896 of 2,001

Why would we bash your comments?  Its an opinion - one that some will relate to, and some will not.

I'd suggest that for some who want perfection from the get-go, then the M3 won't be on your radar.  And if you've come from an Apple or Sony eco-system, then the Fiio UI will probably seem cumbersome, unintuitive, and unprofessional.  And that's cool - for your preferences, the M3 doesn't work.

For someone like me, who has been through a lot of other DAPs - including many very expensive ones with fantastic hardware and very basic UI's - then my impressions and tolerances are very different.  I'd suggest anyone going from a Studio Anniversary 3rd (tiny device, long battery life, sounds fantastic, costs $300+) to the M3 would have a ttally different view of how good the M3 is. And therefore, opinion is a matter of perspective.

I love this little device.  It works (I ahven't had a crash in almost 2 weeks).  It's tiny.  It has great battery life. It sounds fantastic.  And for my browsing preferences, I can negotiate my way around it easily, find tracks easily, listen to albums easily.  I still can't believe for $55 I can pair this particular device with a pair of $600 Adel U6 IEMs and have a fantastic sounding truly portable rig.

But those are my preferences.

Yes - it has a few bugs - with Fiio's track record, they don't bother me.  They aren't Sony or Apple - this is how they release, and get feedback, and correct, and evolve.  If the Fiio model isn't for you - then take your wallet elsewhere.  No harm, no foul, no bad words or bashing required.  You're just not compatible with what they do.

Enjoy the Sony - they are also great DAPs.  I'll continue to enjoy the M3.
beerchug.gif

For the first time Fiio is trying to sell a mass market product at a price point that could attract a lot of first time customers into the DAP market and introduce them to Fiio.  These are the people who aren't going to put up with a buggy product.  If they turn it on and it doesn't work properly and isn't easy to use, back it goes.  For Fiio to continue trying to sell DAPs at this price point (possible M5) they will have to sell a lot of these.  I am worried that Fiio could be costing themselves a lot of sales due to returns and limit what they can offer to the head-fier's of the world down the road.  Sales drive everything including R&D and innovation and Fiio has saturated the niche market pretty well.  To keep moving forward they need to tap into larger markets and the M3 could help them do that if they don't mess it up.  The introduction of the M3 tells me that Fiio really wants and needs to improve its market penetration to keep growing.  I personally can think of at least 5 people in my life that could be interested in the M3, but not in its current state of development.

Personally I would rather support and buy products from a company like Fiio rather than a mass market company like Sony.  But Fiio has to make it worthwhile for me to make that move.  Right now the M3 in it's present state won't do that.  Again I am hoping with some firmware fixes they can convince me to take the plunge down the road.  I just hope they don't kill sales for the M3 in the meantime.

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #897 of 2,001
Yet I gave it to my 12 yo daughter to play with, she spent 30 minutes with it, worked out the navigation, declared she absolutely loved it, and now wants her own.

People are diverse.  She likes it better than her iPod Touch.

I agree that they can (and will) improve the device.

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #898 of 2,001
  Quote:
  I have a question about the UI. Is this folder based the same way the Xduoo X2 is or does it have one like the Sansa Clip plus where you can view by songs, artists, albums, or genres ?

Its the one thing i hate about the X2.

Is there anyone that can post a pic of how the UI looks for searching for files ?

You can view by song, artist, album, and folder but there's a limit on how many songs are in the library so you may be using the folder view more often. You also have to switch between the internal memory and microSD card in order to browse through the libraries. Getting to your music is pretty straightforward even if the UI isn't all that good, it's switching between your internal memory and card or configuring your settings that's a major pain.

Does anyone have experience with other FiiO products and their initial (in)completeness and how long it takes for firmware updates to fix quirks? I'm trying to determine if I should just go ahead and return this player or wait it out.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #899 of 2,001
    Quote:

You can view by song, artist, album, and folder but there's a limit on how many songs are in the library so you may be using the folder view more often. You also have to switch between the internal memory and microSD card in order to browse through the libraries. Getting to your music is pretty straightforward even if the UI isn't all that good, it's switching between your internal memory and card or configuring your settings that's a major pain.

Does anyone have experience with other FiiO products and their initial (in)completeness and how long it takes for firmware updates to fix quirks? I'm trying to determine if I should just go ahead and return this player or wait it out.

I have an X3II and I don't find it all that incomplete. There are one or two features it could use, but these are feature most DAC makers don't have.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #900 of 2,001
They prolly also rushed it for xmas.

The M3 is $79AUD, the A15/17 $250AUD+. You kinda pay for what you get here. Of course on the more expensive products yes it kinda does hurt the company if the UI and feature set is lacking.

But if i have learned one thing it's that people use music differently. I hardly ever do 'albums' anymore, sure once or twice on first hearing, but I select the tracks I like and add to my 'best of' collection and shuffle all. Not all shuffles are equal either, just because a DAP has it doesn't mean it does the shuffle job well <ahem... Hippo Biscuit>.
If I have learned anything in this business it's that people have wide variances in what matters. Some couldn't give a stuff about EQ, others it's a must. Some don't even need a screen (Alien Shozy)! We all interact with our music differently is my point and I can understand how some are satisfied with a half baked M3 firmware. Others it doesn't come close.
I can list the things that matter to me in a DAP but I have yet to find a single DAP that can 'do it all' and satisfy my needs, even the Sony A17 as stable as it is misses what I perceive to being crucial features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back