FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Dec 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #872 of 2,001
That's a neat little DAP!

As small as it is you can feel the heft and solid build of it, I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Just posted this over in "Budget-Fi" as the DAP/AMP & iem's were less than $80
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #873 of 2,001
I've been using the M3 at work today.  I tried my PX100-II and did not care for the combination.  First song i attempted to play popped up an error message that the format wasn't supported (320 mp3) so it skipped to the next song.  I skipped back and it played the song this time.  I've found no way to turn off playing through folders other than a repeat option, but it just repeats the album again so this is annoying to me. My Sansa's do not do this. The UI leaves little to be desired.  My Sansa's have a decent UI and are cheaper so i'm not sure why FiiO can't use a dumbed down version of the X series players with the M3.  The instructions are vague offer nothing other than initial start up info.  The earbuds that came with won't stay in my ears which is very annoying as well.  Keep in mind, i wasn't expecting greatness with this player, but so far i'm not really impressed.  I'm going to give it a few more days, but if nothing changes i'm going to return it.  

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #875 of 2,001
It does have limitations and hopefully some things will get a patch to fix in the next firmware upgrade. It loves my purchased AAC files, I can live with that for now and I like the SQ of the M3. Hope it grows on you 4Rob13
bigsmile_face.gif

Size does matter
eek.gif
LOL

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #876 of 2,001
Just to confirm that I have also experienced the glitch which fourrobert13 mentions whereby I get error on first track. Clicking back will then reload the file successfully and the M3 continues as normal. The error most commonly occurs immediately after re-booting the device - however it only occurs occasionally and can occur when loading a new album. Like fourrobert13 I have files in 320 mp3.

Because of the 72GB limit (8GB + 64GB micro) I was thinking about re-ripping files to a more lossy format. I tried converting to 256mps AAC (using FLAC MP3 convertor), but it seems that the M3 will not play these ? Converting to ogg works fine. Any suggestions on what would be the best format for files compressed around 200mbs ?

Thanks

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #877 of 2,001
  It does have limitations and hopefully some things will get a patch to fix in the next firmware upgrade. It loves my purchased AAC files, I can live with that for now and I like the SQ of the M3. Hope it grows on you 4Rob13
bigsmile_face.gif

Size does matter
eek.gif
LOL

It sounds fine.  I'm listening to it right now.  The UI is really bad IMO.  It just seems way behind compared to my Sansa's or other FiiO's.  There should be no reason to have to play a song in order to access the settings.  I cannot access it any other way.  If i was just going to use it to play songs on shuffle all the time the m3 would be perfect, but that's not how i do it.  Perhaps fw would help, but I'm not sure I'll keep it long enough to find out.  I love FiiO stuff (look at my signature), but I have a feeling I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Like I said, I wasn't expecting something great, but i thought it would be comparable to my Sansa's and it definitely does not IMO (sound wise, yes, user friendly/UI, no).  I should have waited to buy it until more impressions came out like i did with the X players.  I'm glad you enjoy yours, but we all have different needs from a DAP and the m3 isn't doing it for me.

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #880 of 2,001
  I've been using the M3 at work today.  I tried my PX100-II and did not care for the combination.  First song i attempted to play popped up an error message that the format wasn't supported (320 mp3) so it skipped to the next song.  I skipped back and it played the song this time.  I've found no way to turn off playing through folders other than a repeat option, but it just repeats the album again so this is annoying to me. My Sansa's do not do this. The UI leaves little to be desired.  My Sansa's have a decent UI and are cheaper so i'm not sure why FiiO can't use a dumbed down version of the X series players with the M3.  The instructions are vague offer nothing other than initial start up info.  The earbuds that came with won't stay in my ears which is very annoying as well.  Keep in mind, i wasn't expecting greatness with this player, but so far i'm not really impressed.  I'm going to give it a few more days, but if nothing changes i'm going to return it.  

Give it a chance - you've had it for what - 2 days? Once I got used to the UI's quirks, they don't seem quite so annoying (to me anyway - YMMV).  On your comparison with other Fiios and Clip - remember the others are all reasonably mature UIs, and most people I know have Rockboxed their Clips - again because the original UI wasn't the best.

The reason Fiio can't use the X series UI is simply because of the SOC limitations.  This had to be built from scratch - hence the small irritations.  I could name you a dozen errors so far - and things that should be fixed.  I'm willing to bet over time that most of them will be.  That's my experience with Fiio over a number of years.  For $55, and considering the portability, build and sonics - I'd be willing to take that chance.

love the portability of the M3 with my Adel U6.

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #881 of 2,001

Give it a chance - you've had it for what - 2 days? Once I got used to the UI's quirks, they don't seem quite so annoying (to me anyway - YMMV).  On your comparison with other Fiios and Clip - remember the others are all reasonably mature UIs, and most people I know have Rockboxed their Clips - again because the original UI wasn't the best.

The reason Fiio can't use the X series UI is simply because of the SOC limitations.  This had to be built from scratch - hence the small irritations.  I could name you a dozen errors so far - and things that should be fixed.  I'm willing to bet over time that most of them will be.  That's my experience with Fiio over a number of years.  For $55, and considering the portability, build and sonics - I'd be willing to take that chance.

love the portability of the M3 with my Adel U6.

Absolutely and I've been jamming for 3 hours on my ED9's with it in my top pocket (yes fourRob) in shuffle mode but like I always say at least for me if I've put it on my playlist it's all good
bigsmile_face.gif
I'm with Paul do give the M3 and FiiO a little more time and I think a lot of people will find it to be a nice little DAP
beerchug.gif

Not to mention I can keep this setup together
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #882 of 2,001
I'm giving it a few days, but seriously the UI should be better than this regardless of the internals FiiO used.  The file error occurs every time when i turn it on and they're files i purchased.  If it ran on batteries, had replay gain, and gapless playback, it would be perfect 
rolleyes.gif
.  Honestly, FiiO's got something here, but not in its current state IMO.  These quirks might be addressed in future fw and they may not due to the limitations of the chipset/RAM or whatever.  I've figured out how to navigate the UI, but i still don't care for it.  I like to play an album and then it stop when finished.  The M3 just keeps on going which I don't want.  Like we've told others in this discussion, this device doesn't fit my needs, so i'll stick to or find what does.  

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #883 of 2,001
  I'm giving it a few days, but seriously the UI should be better than this regardless of the internals FiiO used.  The file error occurs every time when i turn it on and they're files i purchased.  If it ran on batteries, had replay gain, and gapless playback, it would be perfect 
rolleyes.gif
.  Honestly, FiiO's got something here, but not in its current state IMO.  These quirks might be addressed in future fw and they may not due to the limitations of the chipset/RAM or whatever.  I've figured out how to navigate the UI, but i still don't care for it.  I like to play an album and then it stop when finished.  The M3 just keeps on going which I don't want.  Like we've told others in this discussion, this device doesn't fit my needs, so i'll stick to or find what does.  

LOL, that is fricken hilarious, captured the three culprits in a single breath
deadhorse.gif
We all no there is no perfect in this hobby and just when we think we've found one another day and hyped member shoots our dream in the foot! I have yet to have the error pop up except when I put my first 16GB mSD in and several of the Apple Lossless files would not play but once I removed it I was able to load up a boatload of ACC files and have been jamming away. I think the M3 will have a segment who find it's just what they are looking for. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #884 of 2,001
Sounds like a wait and see purchase to me

Based on all the comments here about UI and operational quirks I will play the wait and see game for now.  See what Fiio can do to fix issues down the road.

I know Fiio likes to fix stuff on the fly so to speak but a bad first impression can cost them customers down the road.  They really should have waited to release the M3 until it was a more polished product or had some kind of beta testing program from regular users.   Let them purchase at a discount in exchange for giving their feedback and then give them a final firmware to update for the product when finalized.

I was a beta tester for Oppo Digital for several of their DVD and Blu-Ray players when I was living in the US and it made a huge difference with the finished product. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #885 of 2,001
I decided not the wait and got my return authorization last night and sent it out this morning.  I'll revisit the M3 after some FW updates, but I'd rather get my money back rather than keep it and let it collect dust.  Hopefully FiiO gets things straightened out with it and I feel confident they will.  Until then, I'll continue to enjoy my X players.

My final overall thoughts about the M3:

The M3 seems like a well built device, but the UI leaves little to be desired.  It comes with the default language set in Chinese.  You have to load music onto it or a card and play said music in order to access the settings menu to change the language.  Some folks advised that the music they put on the device and card would not display in alphabetical order.  I did not have this problem.  I would get an error message when trying to play a track right after boot up that would say file not supported and then it would skip to the next track.  I could skip back and play that track, but this is very annoying.  The music options are play through folders, repeat and shuffle.  I listen to albums so basically when one album was done, the next one on the list would begin to play and this was also very annoying.  It sounded fine and nothing good or bad to say about the sound.  The UI was just behind the times compared to my Sansa's and other FiiO DAPs.  All of the buttons felt solid and there were no issues there.  Some say the UI is because of the chipset/SOC, but considering I can get a Sansa Clip for $10 to $15 less and they have a stable and easy to use UI, I find it hard to believe FiiO can't do this in 2015.  Perhaps this can be addressed in FW updates, but I'm not waiting that long.   I thought it would be comparable to my Sansa's, but it was not (sound wise, yes UI/operation, no).  The set of earbuds sounded fine and the pause function was nice, but they wouldn't stay in my ears and would fall out if I moved my head.  I attempted to create playlist (just for fun) within the device and was unsuccessful.  This could be my fault, but I couldn't find any instructions to assist me. 

It has potential to be a nice little DAP, but not in its current state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back