[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Apr 26, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #5,371 of 5,692
Do you have another 4.4mm cable or adapter to try? I've found that the bulbous end can vary quite a bit between plugs, in shape, girth and size 😅. This bit pushes up the inserted switch to break contact. Some plugs are also off centre and rotating them can lift and lower the switch making and breaking contact. Ironically the worst offenders have been the most expensive cables 🤔 The tolerance on the sockets switch differ too so if you get plug and socket at opposite ends of tolerance you can get these issues. If the bulbous can also be too long or too short making the rings slightly too far in or too far out. Some manufactures even supply plastic ring spacers to slightly lift the plug for opposite tollerance socket/plugs.
I have a cheaper one on the way from Amazon as a test. It's odd because the cable/jack works fine on the M15s. It's the same company (Fiio), so it seems odd that something changed?

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #5,372 of 5,692
I have a cheaper one on the way from Amazon as a test. It's odd because the cable/jack works fine on the M15s. It's the same company (Fiio), so it seems odd that something changed?

I hope that solves / sheds some light on your issue buddy 🤔 Sockets/plugs from the same manufacturer can and do have different tolerances. Not many DAP manufacturers use genuine Pentaconn 4.4mm sockets or even the Pentaconn clones but completely different design 4.4mm sockets. FiiO, Shanling & Hiby use this different design but I don't know who makes them as I can't find any for sale 🤔

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #5,373 of 5,692
I hope that solves / sheds some light on your issue buddy 🤔 Sockets/plugs from the same manufacturer can and do have different tolerances. Not many DAP manufacturers use genuine Pentaconn 4.4mm sockets or even the Pentaconn clones but completely different design 4.4mm sockets. FiiO, Shanling & Hiby use this different design but I don't know who makes them as I can't find any for sale 🤔
Yeah, fingers crossed. I did try to pull this one out a tiny amount. It connected, but again after a few seconds, the warning came up, so I don't think it's too long, but maybe it's too short?

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #5,374 of 5,692
Hi
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I have the M15s and just got the M17. They are set up the same way, and yet when I use the 4.4 bal on the M17 I get the same warning "output exception please try reseating the headset". Everything works fine on the M15s. It seems that after a few seconds, the M17 sees the 4.4 as a line out and not headphones and switches over.

Updates done/resets done/same settings as M15s, and yet for some reason the M17 just flips out if I use the 4.4
Dear friend,

Sorry to hear about that.
You are using the 3.5mm to 4.4mm adapter for connecting the headphone to the 4.4mm port in M17? Or connecting the 4.4mm balanced cable of your headphone to the M17? What's the model name of your headphone? If you are convenient, please show us a small video. Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 27, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #5,375 of 5,692
Dear friend,

You are using the 3.5mm to 4.4mm adapter for connecting the headphone to the 4.4mm port in M17? Or connecting the 4.4mm balanced cable of your headphone to the M17? What's the model name of your headphone? Thanks in advance!

Best regards
It's a custom 4.4 to mini XLR (Audeze LCD-2f). They work fine with the Fiio M15s bal 4.4, but when I use it on the M17, it clicks when I press play, and then I get about 3 seconds of music before it stops, and a warning message appears. Its as though it switches itself or gets confused and thinks it's a line out.

Apr 27, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #5,376 of 5,692
Dear friend,

You are using the 3.5mm to 4.4mm adapter for connecting the headphone to the 4.4mm port in M17? Or connecting the 4.4mm balanced cable of your headphone to the M17? What's the model name of your headphone? If you are convenient, please show us a small video. Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Tried another cable and it's the same so it seems it's the player.

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #5,377 of 5,692
Tried another cable and it's the same so it seems it's the player.
Dear friend,

I checked with the engineer about that and he think so as well. :frowning2: When and where did you buy the product? Can your seller help? If not, please contact support@fiio.com with the receipt attahced. Thanks in advance!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 28, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #5,378 of 5,692
Dear friend,

I checked with the engineer about that and he think so as well. :frowning2: When and where did you buy the product? Can your seller help? If not, please contact support@fiio.com with the receipt attahced. Thanks in advance!

Best regards
I only just got it, so I can return it. Sadly it was an "open box", and as such, it was £299 cheaper. They do not have another at the same price.
Thanks anyway

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #5,379 of 5,692
I only just got it, so I can return it. Sadly it was an "open box", and as such, it was £299 cheaper. They do not have another at the same price.
Thanks anyway

I've never actually seen the exception message even when my 4.4mm plug hasn't been in properly, just either not detected or sound from one channel. Is it from the system? i.e. it will display when playing back from any player such as Neutron or UAPP or just from the FiiO music player? I've always used Neutron with the FiiO app disabled. Maybe worth a go. Neutron sounds better also.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #5,380 of 5,692
I've never actually seen the exception message even when my 4.4mm plug hasn't been in properly, just either not detected or sound from one channel. Is it from the system? i.e. it will display when playing back from any player such as Neutron or UAPP or just from the FiiO music player? I've always used Neutron with the FiiO app disabled. Maybe worth a go. Neutron sounds better also.
With the Fiio app and usbplayer. I have the new M15s sat beside it, and both cables work fine with that (same settings)
I tried pulling it out a little, as some need that, but no joy. I then tried a different cable, and no joy.

I did try while using DC, and it behaved differently...once. There was a smaller audio pop, but the music kept playing. For a minute, I thought that I had somehow fixed the issue. I put it back to the battery and tested it. It kept playing fine, but now and then, there was an audio pop. I rebooted it and sadly after the reboot, it went back to loud audio pop/a few seconds of music/warning message.

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #5,381 of 5,692
Thanks anyway

It is obviously they sent you a faulty unit, and even though it’s an open box M17, it still has 12 months warranty, It is your right to have it repaired / replaced and if that is not possible, you have a right to reject the item for a full refund. Contact the shop you bough it from and have them sort it out for you.

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #5,382 of 5,692
It is obviously they sent you a faulty unit, and even though it’s an open box M17, it still has 12 months warranty, It is your right to have it repaired / replaced and if that is not possible, you have a right to reject the item for a full refund. Contact the shop you bough it from and have the

It is obviously they sent you a faulty unit, and even though it’s an open box M17, it still has 12 months warranty, It is your right to have it repaired / replaced and if that is not possible, you have a right to reject the item for a full refund. Contact the shop you bough it from and have them sort it out for you.
It was from advancedmp3players in the UK. They have always been good. I guess it got returned, and they just checked the 3.5 and the others but never bothered to check the 4.4 bal.
It's gone back for a refund, but I would have rather got another one...but no open box left.

May 5, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #5,383 of 5,692
COnsidering the M17; I actually like the size and heft and will travel with it as well. Question is whether or not it the Apple Music app can be downloaded, used and music from Apple Music stored on the device? My M11 Pro can't, but I seem to recall it was because of the Samsung chipset?

Thanks for any input!

May 5, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #5,384 of 5,692
COnsidering the M17; I actually like the size and heft and will travel with it as well. Question is whether or not it the Apple Music app can be downloaded, used and music from Apple Music stored on the device? My M11 Pro can't, but I seem to recall it was because of the Samsung chipset?

Thanks for any input!
@DouglasM I was asking the same questions last week... and I finally decided on getting the new M15s to supplement my M11pro... as much as I liked the M11pro and still do I wanted to get a DAP that would play Apple songs and so I got the M15s with the Android 10 and it plays Apple Music perfect and also plays the songs I bought from Apple.. so the M17 has the ability to play Apple Music too... the M15s has plenty of power to play most of my headphones it only struggles with the Hifiman HE6se V2 and for that I just use the OTG cable from the M15s to a ifi Diablo and then that combo has plenty of power for everything.... I have the M11pro stacked to the Diablo now and I'm thinking of getting the Centrance Ampersand to stack with the M15s and that should be an amazing stack with every kind of connection you could ever want and tons of power...
if you get the M17 or the M15s the first thing you are going to notice is the speed of the software/hardware.... it runs circles around the M11pro...
The other advantage that you and I didn't get to use with the M11pro is an app called Wavelet.... you install it and it has pre configured EQ setups for all of your headphones... so not only is the better hardware of the M17 and M15s a better sound sig the app takes the DAP and Headphones to a new level... coming from a M11pro there is no way your not going to like the M17 or M15s.... the only reason I didn't go with the M17 was simply because I didn't want to spend that much money on a DAP when the battery finally goes out your DAP is dead... if it had user replaceable batteries I would have spent the extra funds.. hope this helps your decision... they are both nice...

May 6, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #5,385 of 5,692

Thanks for any input!
The M17 can run Apple music and it operates just like it does in any Apple device. Since they decided to go lossless, It’s my default music streaming service for HI-RES. Just dowload it from the play store and subscribe to the service.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back