[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Apr 5, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #5,253 of 5,692
Anyone have comparison between M17 and WM1Am2? Read few impressions but i may need more comparisons . Thanks in advance

Apr 6, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #5,254 of 5,692
DK3 noise is one of the primary cons. for me.
I think the fan needs some improvements to make at least the first speed less audible.
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. We will also report to the product manager about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 9, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #5,258 of 5,692
Guys can you please advise aftermarket power supply on amazon.. during move appartment i lost the original and dont seem to find it
Wrote about this in a previous post (here), but I'll re-quote myself here:
Match exactly as rated for the M17, which is 12v/3A.

Please see here* and here (bonus info on battery and DC modes here :wink:).

*"The M17 needs a 12V/3A DC power supply with a 5.5x2.1 DC port."

Therefore, choose the iFi iPower Elite 12v/4A variant, specs and product info here.

Essentially, any switching power supply units that can provide 12v/3A and that has 5.5x2.1 DC Barrel port. These can be readily found at most electronic/computer retailers and online (Amazon, for example).
However, I strongly advise against using any switching PSU as, in my case and for those who upgraded away from such supplies, you can suffer noise pollution from them. Such supplies can introduce harmonic noise issues (mostly in the high frequencies but this depends on the
switching PSU) that are not easily discernable until you use a better PSU for the M17.

As @EdgeDC mentioned above, you can upgrade to something like the officially released linear PSU, the FiiO PL50, which, except for one user (via Reddit) seems to be an excellent choice and affordable.
Here is a list of linear PSU devices from those of us who have upgraded from the stock switching PSU, including reviewers (this is not an exhaustive list):

However, pick whatever you feel most comfortable with!

Edit: made a fundamental error in my post; amended, and my apologies 😅

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #5,259 of 5,692
Wrote about this in a previous post (here), but I'll re-quote myself here:

Essentially, any linear switching power supply units that can provide 12v/3A and that has 5.5x2.1 DC Barrel port. These can be readily found at most electronic/computer retailers and online (Amazon, for example).
However, I strongly advise against using any linear switching PSU as, in my case and for those who upgraded away from such supplies, you can suffer noise pollution from them. Such supplies can introduce harmonic noise issues (mostly in the high frequencies but this depends on the linear switching PSU) that are not easily discernable until you use a better PSU for the M17.

As @EdgeDC mentioned above, you can upgrade to something like the officially released FiiO PL50, which except for one user (via Reddit) seems to be an excellent choice and affordable.
Here is a list of PSU devices from those of us who have upgraded from the stock PSU, including reviewers (this is not an exhaustive list):

However, pick whatever you feel most comfortable with!
Can you elaborate what is a "linear switching power supply" that you do not recommend?
So far I know about linear power supply and switching power supply, like explained here.

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #5,260 of 5,692
Hi there!
A M17 will be with me soon, I have two questions beforehand:
1.) will the SBooster BOTW P & P ECO 12 – 13,2 V MK2 Series be good to use with it, at 12V and 3A?
2.) I have a Cayin C9 Amp, will it be adding to the M17 in DC Mode regarding SQ or is that a unnecessary stack?

Thank you and cheers,
Tomi

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #5,261 of 5,692
Can you elaborate what is a "linear switching power supply" that you do not recommend?
So far I know about linear power supply and switching power supply, like explained here.
Ok, made an error on my part; Linear PSU and Switching PSU's are separate entities 🤣

I know that there was a difference, but, for whatever reason, assumed that both had the same terminology 😂🤦🏽‍♂️
I will amend my post as well.

Now, that link is excellent, and here's another for your interest alongside a nice overview of the two technologies:
act-mg-linear-vs-switching-power-VER01.jpg

To answer your question, switching power supplies are common and widely available due to cheaper manufacturing and costs, as well as adaptability and smaller size (in general).
TV's, laptops, general electronics, etc.

The FiiO M17 had a switching PSU included, however, FiiO's sister comp, Jade Audio, created the FiiO PL50 linear PSU upgrade for some of their devices, including M17, Q7, K5/K7/K9 Pro (and their variants), and so on.

Once again, my apologies for my earlier mistaken information and causing any confusion 😅

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #5,262 of 5,692
The FiiO M17 had a switching PSU included, however, FiiO's sister comp, Jade Audio, created the FiiO PL50 linear PSU upgrade for some of their devices, including M17, Q7, K5/K7/K9 Pro (and their variants), and so on.
The K9 Pro has its own integrated linear PSU :wink:

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #5,263 of 5,692
Hi there!
A M17 will be with me soon, I have two questions beforehand:
1.) will the SBooster BOTW P & P ECO 12 – 13,2 V MK2 Series be good to use with it, at 12V and 3A?
2.) I have a Cayin C9 Amp, will it be adding to the M17 in DC Mode regarding SQ or is that a unnecessary stack?

Thank you and cheers,
Tomi
To answer your questions:

1. If your chosen PSU meets the minimum stated requirements of 12v/3a, then it will suffice. As to whether this will be of good quality, an upgrade, or reveal any sonic benefits, will be something you can let us know (or check reviews for similar audio system applications with the SBooster!).
  2. I have considered the Cayin C9 for myself, and use the M17 as a headphone preamp into the C9; in this case, I'd likely put the C9 at unity gain, using only the M17 for volume. (You can also configure the M17 as DAC source by putting the volume at unity gain instead, and thus using the C9's volume pot, but I'm not considering this). This would essentially to be a hardware-based change of sonic character for your system, and might be fun or interesting. It is not necessary, but maybe a great synergy for some headphones, especially neutral or natural sounding cans such as T+A Solitaire P/P-SE! However, YMMV.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #5,264 of 5,692
The K9 Pro has its own integrated linear PSU :wink:
OHHHHHHHHH it does?!

That's an even BETTER deal, what a product 😍

As I required a transportable high-end all-in-one, I'm happy with my FiiO M17 and Shargeek Storm2 battery source, but if I were only ever going to use a desktop source at home, the K9 Pro would have been my purchase.

Bravo FiiO! 👏🏽

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #5,265 of 5,692
Thank you for your input.
1) I am pretty sure lookings at the specs the Sbooster should work for the me M17, but as other models by other manufacturers were specifically mentioned and I wondered if others had experience with the m17, could not find much in this thread searching for it.

2.) The C9 in preamp mode using the lo from my latoo paw 6000 is fantastic, in this thread I read initial praise and later on doubts whether the M17 individually not bypassing the internal amp section is better than using a stack with the C9

Will need to test myself anyways

I chose the M17 over the n8ii because I would like to use the transportable device as stationary replacement at home in different rooms and when in office

I think the n8ii is better sonically, the m17 has the benefit of roon support and I wondered if I can get the perfect solution with c9 & m17

Cheers,
Tomi
To answer your questions:

1. If your chosen PSU meets the minimum stated requirements of 12v/3a, then it will suffice. As to whether this will be of good quality, an upgrade, or reveal any sonic benefits, will be something you can let us know (or check reviews for similar audio system applications with the SBooster!).
  2. I have considered the Cayin C9 for myself, and use the M17 as a headphone preamp into the C9; in this case, I'd likely put the C9 at unity gain, using only the M17 for volume. (You can also configure the M17 as DAC source by putting the volume at unity gain instead, and thus using the C9's volume pot, but I'm not considering this). This would essentially to be a hardware-based change of sonic character for your system, and might be fun or interesting. It is not necessary, but maybe a great synergy for some headphones, especially neutral or natural sounding cans such as T+A Solitaire P/P-SE! However, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back