[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Mar 27, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #5,236 of 5,693
Sure, on the desktop I do have essentially three cables to manage: the fan cable for the DK3 Stand*, the DC cable for the external battery, and the headphone cable, but I do have the option to keep it simple if I wish. (*I'll be purchasing the newer version of this stand, the FiiO DK3S, as it can be disassembled flat).
I may be mistaken, but I think the DK3S is smaller and designed for FiiO’s slightly smaller DAPs such as the M11 Plus.

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #5,237 of 5,693
The FiiO M17 is very relevant.

I find questions like this saddening, considering that good audio gear ought to last, yet sometimes communities like this consider audio gear as throwaway commodities, and chase the next newest thing and ignore well made pieces of gear for marginal differences (in general of course).

The M17, for example, has two flagship DAC's. Those DAC's did not suddenly get superseded, nor are they obsolete; they are still in production and TOTL, with only a sibling version also TOTL as well.
Both ESS Sabre ES9038PRO and ES9039PRO are dual flagship chips. The M17 has two ES9038PRO chips, with eight-channels on each chip dedicated for each stereo channel, which allows for supreme noise floor reduction and decoding.

Similarly, the THX788+ Class A amplifier chips* are TOTL as well, and FiiO has exclusivity to these amp chips, currently residing in the M17, Q7, and R7 devices (and more too). *No official link, but overall link of the technology can be found here.
The M17 has two of them, making it the second most powerful amp on battery (1.5W), only beaten by the limited edition and discontinued iBasso DX300 Max. However, the FiiO M17 in DC mode (bypassing battery) makes it the MOST powerful digital audio player ever created (3W in balanced mode).

The M17 has had both rave reviews and stellar specs, objectively and subjectively.
It is still in production, and FiiO has already announced that they will not create an update to the M17 for another year at best; please see here.

Nothing has changed regarding the M17 (and also the Q7 and newly released R7).
You can certainly wait for an update, but it would be a long while. More likely a competitor could theoretically create a competing product, but it would be difficult for them at the M17's current RRP, never mind that M17 can be found for good deals too as time marches on.

In my opinion, the M17 is only worth it if you wish to have a device that you would also like to transport as well, and use standalone as a single all-in-one unit.
If that is not the case and you want an all-in-one for desktop only use, consider the FiiO R7 instead, or go further up and take a look at Astell&Kern ACRO CA1000T. Or, if you, again, want to use a computer or digital device as your transport to an external DAC/amp for desktop setup, consider the K9 Pro ESS as well.
If you rather save a bit but still have most of the M17's TOTL specs, but don't mind tethering to a laptop or phone or tablet, Q7 is great too. Q7 differences are no Android (no streaming), no interactive screen (just a basic information display), and only one ES9038PRO DAC. Most other features are present between the two devices. Q7 is vastly cheaper to the M17, but still itself expensive in general.

Please do research on whether the M17 suits your needs, however, to summarise again, it is VERY VERY relevant!

Edit: added links and made some clarification edits
Fully agree. I use mine with dc power at my desk while working in the day time and then move it to the living room for my evening listening.

Mar 27, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #5,238 of 5,693
I may be mistaken, but I think the DK3S is smaller and designed for FiiO’s slightly smaller DAPs such as the M11 Plus.
You may be right, but the design ought to still hold the M17.

I've not purchased it yet (it's been an expensive few months across all my hobbies), but on the list.

However, I'll check measurements and max weight specs before I do place an order, just in case...

What I'll more prioritise is modifying my DK3 by changing out the fan for a quieter one...need more info but still investigating

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #5,239 of 5,693
Thank you for replying, and that's awesome!

The word clock that I am considering is TEAC CG-10M master clock, which has four gold-plated BNC (coaxial) connectors at 50 ohms each, and can be used to provide a clock for four devices.
The device can work on a DAC that supports a 10MHz input.

If the FiiO M17 meets the above requirements, then the CG-10M will be another purchase I would like to add, though I would like more info on setup within the M17 to utilise such clocks.

Thanks again for answering my unusual query and helping me @FiiO! 🥰🎧
Dear friend,

I asked the engineer about that for you. The M17 is having standard spdif coaxial output, so theoretically, it could be compatible with this device. If you are convenient, you could have a try in the local store first.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 28, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #5,240 of 5,693
Dear friend,
The DK3 comes with the M17. And the DK3S could work with M17 as well.
Best regards

1679988561649.png

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 28, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #5,241 of 5,693
Dear friend,

I asked the engineer about that for you. The M17 is having standard spdif coaxial output, so theoretically, it could be compatible with this device. If you are convenient, you could have a try in the local store first.

Best regards
This is now something I will try and arrange in due course, because if so, that would be a fantastic way to discuss here!

Of course, this is not strictly necessary due to the internal clocks in the M17 are already excellent, but I do wonder if an external clock will have a positive or negative change to the M17 sound signature.

I'll update again once I'm able to get a demonstration organised with a local dealer!

Thank you once again @FiiO 😊🎧

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #5,242 of 5,693
Dear friend,
The DK3 comes with the M17. And the DK3S could work with M17 as well.
Best regards

Thank you for the comparison @FiiO!

That smaller size and portability is very useful to me @EdgeDC, though I'd imagine the M17 will need to be slightly offset to the right for better access to the DC input from the bottom (removable) part of the DK3S stand.

Even so, now that I have a comparison, it will likely be added to my purchase list!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #5,243 of 5,693
Thank you for the comparison @FiiO!

That smaller size and portability is very useful to me @EdgeDC, though I'd imagine the M17 will need to be slightly offset to the right for better access to the DC input from the bottom (removable) part of the DK3S stand.

Even so, now that I have a comparison, it will likely be added to my purc list!
I'm happy to be right that the DK3S is indeed smaller, but also happy to be wrong that @FiiO says it can be used with the M17! :)

Apr 2, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #5,244 of 5,693
Question for M17 users.
I have owned the M17 for about 6 weeks and am using it with the Meze Elites. My question is how do you activate the equalizer? And can it be used in conjunction with Spotify? Thank you.

Apr 2, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #5,245 of 5,693
Question for M17 users.
I have owned the M17 for about 6 weeks and am using it with the Meze Elites. My question is how do you activate the equalizer? And can it be used in conjunction with Spotify? Thank you.
The EQ designed by FiiO is only for their FiiO Music app.

However, as the M17 has a near vanilla Android OS (tweaked so that the audio stack is sent to the internal ESS DAC's), you can install either a separate EQ app to work with your preferred music app or service, or use an app that includes EQ and can play music (or play and stream music).

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #5,246 of 5,693
Question for M17 users.

As it is an android10+ device, the best way is to install PowerampEQ app to access a full PEQ with automatic switching between Inputs and Bluetooth devices too. It's efficient like a charm for any players Neutron, Bubbleupnp, UAPP, including streamers like Qobuz, Bubbleupnp.
Wavelet is interesting too, though it's a simple EQ not PEQ.

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #5,247 of 5,693
As it is an android10+ device, the best way is to install PowerampEQ app to access a full PEQ with automatic switching between Inputs and Bluetooth devices too. It's efficient like a charm for any players Neutron, Bubbleupnp, UAPP, including streamers like Qobuz, Bubbleupnp.
Wavelet is interesting too, though it's a simple EQ not PEQ.
Thank you.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #5,249 of 5,693
Big shout out to those that recommended the Pelican 1040. I don’t think there’s a more perfect carry case! I think the clear cover is best. It gives me joy to find things that perfectly fit as if they’re custom.

FF4A73C0-93CA-4DDC-84E9-313B13F63C26.jpeg971FF1BD-2D5C-4891-ACCE-4524BAB21926.jpeg

For those who got a Peli Case 1040, is the fit super tight or is there a couple mm of spare height ? I'm looking for a case for my FiiO Q7, it's 2mm taller than the M17, which seems very very snug on these pictures... Thanks.

Apr 3, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #5,250 of 5,693
For those who got a Peli Case 1040, is the fit super tight or is there a couple mm of spare height ? I'm looking for a case for my FiiO Q7, it's 2mm taller than the M17, which seems very very snug on these pictures... Thanks.
No spare height but the rubber along the sides is very flexible and squishy (and hollow) and seem like they can accommodate 2mm. It may feel snugger though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back