[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Mar 12, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #5,208 of 5,690
I have to say that I’ve not experienced any of that. I’m wondering if he has a dodgy unit or not done all the firmware updates
I experience this every now and then with all my devices. Specially when I am loaded with static electricity or my fingers are very dry.

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #5,209 of 5,690
R6 gen II is nowhere near M17 or TOTL. So I think this hint a little misleading. The DAC is in it but the rest of the dap is entry/midrange level. Except Hibys streak with batteries, these are just garbage.
Well it doesn't look plausible that AK4499ex gets included in Hiby R6, a midrange device as the previous series used the Q2M version of ES9038.

Shanling has made the H7, but that's a "screenless" DAP (more like a DAC). Not being an android player really limits its versatility.

I'd really like to buy a AK4499ex DAP with M17 features... Well I know the 2 years promise from FiiO for no new models. But the AK4499ex is a new generation of DAC with stellar specs., perhaps that already warrants a new model? Please @FiiO make it happen!

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #5,211 of 5,690
Well it doesn't look plausible that AK4499ex gets included in Hiby R6, a midrange device as the previous series used the Q2M version of ES9038.

Shanling has made the H7, but that's a "screenless" DAP (more like a DAC). Not being an android player really limits its versatility.

I'd really like to buy a AK4499ex DAP with M17 features... Well I know the 2 years promise from FiiO for no new models. But the AK4499ex is a new generation of DAC with stellar specs., perhaps that already warrants a new model? Please @FiiO make it happen!
Don't fall for the specs of a DAC-Chip. The implementation is the key. A bad implemented high-end DAC will still sound worse than a very good implemented old AK. Take a look at L7audiolabs measurements if you like.

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #5,213 of 5,690
I love how this dap sounds with the fiio fd7/x. The power of the m17 just brings the iem to whole new level

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #5,217 of 5,690
Mar 15, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #5,218 of 5,690
I would agree
I love to cast tidal from my phone with mconnect to the (Neutron) M17 as a render and upsample all to DSD128 (I cannot manage to make the upsample to DSD256 to work properly)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #5,219 of 5,690
No Theme Reviews just put up his video review. He highlights throughout the video the sluggish response and the refresh rate of the screen of the M17:

Very flawed review IMHO.

How can this can be taken seriously if the reviewer cannot hear a difference between a dx160 or a dx220 and an M17? They don’t sound similar at all. And it’s even more strange the fact that he was using andromeda for the review which are infamous to audibly change their sound from sources with different output impedance so the differences in sound should be striking. Had them and I can confirm this :) I respect other people opinion but only if they have the skills and knowledge to judge a product. In this review, the reviewer showed he doesn’t really have the skills to judge an audio product (trained ears, experience in audio etc.) This is of course IMHO.

All those devices sound so different from each other that is impossible not to notice.

Also, ghosting on the screen? Same speed as a dx220?

M17 is not as fast as a Shanling M9 due to less ram but it’s not slow either, far from it. It perform as good as other devices with good processors and 4gb ram. Way faster than an ak sp2000t for example which is already faster than a dx220..

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #5,220 of 5,690
@FiiO Willson any chance Fiio is working on a new upgrade of M17 with AKM AK4499ex? I love all specs of M17 but I'm holding out for a AK4499ex DAP.
Why? The DACs on M17 are already overkill, and technically as good as anything AKM has to offer. The best desktop unit I have owned (not most expensive, I owned much more expensive units), the ADI-2 Pro SE, has a simple 2 channel version of the 8 channel PRO chip inside the M17, and it has only one of them, not two.

The digital to analog conversion process has long time ago reached a level that does not need any improvement anymore for human hearing. From now on, it is mostly about efficiency. You do not need any new unit with a more recent DAC if it does not have any power efficiency benefits over the previous generations. As said, even a single 9038PRO is an overkill for a two channel portable unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back