[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jan 26, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #2,416 of 5,692
Jan 26, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #2,417 of 5,692
Fab… just bought myself an Audioquest DragonTail USB C to USB A Adaptor to use my Audioquest Coffee USB cable in to a AudioWise SRC-DX converter.

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #2,418 of 5,692
The earlier recommendation here was using Neutron player DLNA service on M17, playing Qobuz started in BubbleUpnp on android phone.
Small problem: no bubbleupnp for iPhone, no Apple music integrated in bubbleupnp (as far as I see).

Oh thanks - The problem is that I don’t understand a word of what you are saying - it’s like a foreign language to me. What is bubble upnp? I just looked in my iPhone App Store - I found the app mconnect player and mconnect control. Which is it? And why don’t they make their players more easy to use after so many years? I am a psychologist who loves music and not a technical engineer or a software engineer!
But thanks for the help I appreciate it - it’s not your fault it’s so complicated!
Good evening from Berlin
Rigelian is what you both might want to try. I might have the spelling wrong.

Low pass filter explained.
IMG_8060.jpg
Something worth noting: Much confusion has reigned about "ringing" with digital filters. What is being referred to is the output of the filter when a single-sample impulse response is fed into it (reproducing an actual audio signal requires greater than two samples). Digital filters are not designed to process these signals, and they don't exist in music, so when one is put through, you get ringing. Regular music will not cause a filter to ring.

Some people seem to notice the difference between filters, probably dependent on the music being listened to as much as anything, and other people can't hear a difference. Experimenting is not a bad idea.

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #2,419 of 5,692
I don't think the M17 can handle correctly more than DSD256 without being connected to an external DAC via USB port
M17 can handle DSD 512 only in DAC mode so, if you connect your phone (or other media player) via USB-C, the M17 in DAC mode will play DSD 512 correctly

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #2,420 of 5,692
...Some people seem to notice the difference between filters, probably dependent on the music being listened to as much as anything, and other people can't hear a difference. Experimenting is not a bad idea.
Indeed, I can't detect any significant changes with any of the filters.

Jan 26, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #2,421 of 5,692
Indeed, I can't detect any significant changes with any of the filters.
I hear some tiny difference between these filters and I have chose the one even before reading explanation - no.4 "slow roll off, minimun phase", which sounds the best for me with the genres of music I'm listening to the most: metal, rock, hip-hop, electronics.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #2,422 of 5,692
I hear some tiny difference between these filters and I have chose the one - no.4 "slow roll off, minimun phase", which sounds the best for me with the genres of music I'm listening to the most: metal, rock, hip-hop, electronics.
For me the biggest differences are brought about by the headphones/earphones I use. Even changing the earpads on my HD820 from stock to my Dekoni Elite Fenestrated, makes a huge difference, with the later enhancing Treble/Mid’s and reducing Bass/Sub-Bass massively. So, I use the stock for Pop/Rock/Indy/R&B and the Dekoni’s for Classical and Jazz. I leave the lowpass filter in Hybrid

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #2,423 of 5,692
Guys
The fiio media player when playing from my media server organizes all albums and even going by directory all tracks are by alphabetical order which is pretty useles.
Am i doing something wrong? Can this be changed?

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2,425 of 5,692
Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #2,426 of 5,692
Hi folks. (I’m okay, update installed!)

I’ve had my M17 for five days or so and it’s been, er, fun. Today when out, with it standing vertically on a table while I listened, I caught the cable and pulled the thing over, with it hitting a hard floor. Thank christ it was in its leather sleeve, but still, its sharp bottom corner still managed to tear through the leather and get a small dent. Jesus. The case flap now won’t close properly but I’m just relieved the player itself wasn‘t further damaged.
I don’t know what’s going on with me and this device! I’m normally tech-savvy but yesterday conspired to make installing an update a big drama. And I’ve owned Macs, many headphones and all manner of things over years and never dropped, mishandled or damaged anything - I look after things. And then within days I send this lovely thing crashing to the floor.

Anyway, why am I here posting this? Well, I own so many headphones that I’m a little ashamed at the compulsiveness that resulted in buying so many, but it is what it is, and I try to enjoy them as best I can.
In these five days I’ve listened with my Nightowls, Audeze EL-8, beyer T5p2 and HD700 and generally I’ve been slightly underwhelmed. I say this as I think having read so much about the player that I was expecting something truly game-changing.
And yes, this is all in the first days so I’m not making judgements yet - things need to settle and I have still enjoyed listening, even if I’ve been surprised at hearing my EL-8 and Nightowl sound too bright.
And last night, having had the M17 in Over-Ear Mode since day one, I was listening to the HD700 and it was plenty loud and I think I didn’t question it because of that, but it just sounded okay, not great.

Well I’m sat here having just a half hour ago suddenly thought hey, let’s try it connected to DC power.
And it’s just blown me away! I can hardly believe the transformation; this is making the HD700’s sing (and yes, I know most folks out there seem to hate the 700 with a passion, but I’ve always loved them) like almost never before. They’ve always sounded fantastic out of my HDVA600, but I don’t exactly recall ever feeling this degree of muscularity and control. It is wonderful to hear.
Even though I don’t think the other ‘phones I’ve tried don’t necessarily need the DC power, I’m interested to now see how they sound with it.

Other thoughts:
It‘s about forty five minutes in now and I haven’t turned the fan on as the player is still cool front and back.
When I started listening the battery was at 20% and it still is; hasn’t decreased of raised even a percent, even though it says Charging on the screen. So I don’t know what’s happening - is the headphone using so much power that the charge can’t raise? It isn’t lowering so at the least it’s maintaining its level. We’ll see if it changes.
I’ve got lots of other cans to try, the two I’m most curious about are the HD800s and my ogHE-6. I do own the EF-6 which was of course made to partner the HE-6 (and that’s probably the main reason why my HE-6 is my favourite headphone because it sounds like the proverbial force of nature being powered by that amp) so we will see if the M17 heats up enough to warrant turning on the fan. At almost an hour, the sides of the M17 mildly warm, but only mild. Hmm, I am expecting that when I use the HE-6 it might get a lot warmer!

As I type, after approaching an hour, the battery has just gone to 22. So I guess it’s not going to charge the battery even if I’m here for ten hours! Interesting.
Before I bought it I was a little concerned about there possibly being a noticeable difference in sound quality between battery and DC. Again, I’m only a few days using it yet, but it seems like there will be as this sound I’m hearing now is magnificent. To be honest I’m not overly concerned about this now as I think after having taken it out with me every day, that I will end up using it at home. I’ve been out in my winter coat and its large inside pocket holds the M17 fine, but once I change to lighter clothes I think it will be to hefty to comfortably (for me) hold it whilst I’m listening. I recently gave my brother the M3X so I’ll get another smaller player to use when out.
Also, I think it’s easy to underestimate the impact of ambient sound when out. Even listening to the M17 when out I was very disappointed in the sound and was questioning my purchase. But when I got home I’d listen again and thankfully it was much, much better. I just think when out in a busy city centre, that sound quality is very adversely affected.
And thinking about it, having that degree of extra power available from DC, of course the dynamics and depth of the sound is going to be a big jump.
Depending on the performance of the HE-6, I’ve been mulling over selling my large desktop gear. I don’t know if it’s a tad unrealistic to expect the M17 even on DC to fully utilise the HE-6. If it doesn’t quite get to that full level I may look into getting hold of a Centrance Ampersand as a means to power my HE-6 to their optimum If I sell my EF-6.

But right now, hearing how good these 700’s sound, I am extremely happy with the M17.
I’ll write more after I’ve used my HD800s and HE-6 with how it does with them. Although others have written that on DC it makes a great partner to the 800s.
Finishing off, it is a little warmer again, but still mild really. Volume at 70.
Thanks for reading.
Be well.

P.s. Even before I’d damaged the leather case, I was already kind of hoping that somebody comes out with a genuine top quality, more substantial and better-fitting leather case, of the sort that could never be bundled with a device. Maybe also fit around the side buttons much more snugly, but just generally something that would be as no-compromise as the player is itself in its construction. I mean it’s great they bundle one and I’m sure it’s enough for most. But ….. am I completely barking up the wrong tree here?!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #2,427 of 5,692

I’ve had my M17 for five days or so and it’s been, er, fun. Today when out, with it standing vertically on a table while I listened, I caught the cable and pulled the thing over, with it hitting a hard floor. Thank christ it was in its leather sleeve, but still, its sharp bottom corner still managed to tear through the leather and get a small dent. Jesus. The case flap now won’t close properly but I’m just relieved the player itself wasn‘t further damaged.
I don’t know what’s going on with me and this device! I’m normally tech-savvy but yesterday conspired to make installing an update a big drama. And I’ve owned Macs, many headphones and all manner of things over years and never dropped, mishandled or damaged anything - I look after things. And then within days I send this lovely thing crashing to the floor.

Anyway, why am I here posting this? Well, I own so many headphones that I’m a little ashamed at the compulsiveness that resulted in buying so many, but it is what it is, and I try to enjoy them as best I can.
In these five days I’ve listened with my Nightowls, Audeze EL-8, beyer T5p2 and HD700 and generally I’ve been slightly underwhelmed. I say this as I think having read so much about the player that I was expecting something truly game-changing.
And yes, this is all in the first days so I’m not making judgements yet - things need to settle and I have still enjoyed listening, even if I’ve been surprised at hearing my EL-8 and Nightowl sound too bright.
And last night, having had the M17 in Over-Ear Mode since day one, I was listening to the HD700 and it was plenty loud and I think I didn’t question it because of that, but it just sounded okay, not great.

Well I’m sat here having just a half hour ago suddenly thought hey, let’s try it connected to DC power.
And it’s just blown me away! I can hardly believe the transformation; this is making the HD700’s sing (and yes, I know most folks out there seem to hate the 700 with a passion, but I’ve always loved them) like almost never before. They’ve always sounded fantastic out of my HDVA600, but I don’t exactly recall ever feeling this degree of muscularity and control. It is wonderful to hear.
Even though I don’t think the other ‘phones I’ve tried don’t necessarily need the DC power, I’m interested to now see how they sound with it.

Other thoughts:
It‘s about forty five minutes in now and I haven’t turned the fan on as the player is still cool front and back.
When I started listening the battery was at 20% and it still is; hasn’t decreased of raised even a percent, even though it says Charging on the screen. So I don’t know what’s happening - is the headphone using so much power that the charge can’t raise? It isn’t lowering so at the least it’s maintaining its level. We’ll see if it changes.
I’ve got lots of other cans to try, the two I’m most curious about are the HD800s and my ogHE-6. I do own the EF-6 which was of course made to partner the HE-6 (and that’s probably the main reason why my HE-6 is my favourite headphone because it sounds like the proverbial force of nature being powered by that amp) so we will see if the M17 heats up enough to warrant turning on the fan. At almost an hour, the sides of the M17 mildly warm, but only mild. Hmm, I am expecting that when I use the HE-6 it might get a lot warmer!

As I type, after approaching an hour, the battery has just gone to 22. So I guess it’s not going to charge the battery even if I’m here for ten hours! Interesting.
Before I bought it I was a little concerned about there possibly being a noticeable difference in sound quality between battery and DC. Again, I’m only a few days using it yet, but it seems like there will be as this sound I’m hearing now is magnificent. To be honest I’m not overly concerned about this now as I think after having taken it out with me every day, that I will end up using it at home. I’ve been out in my winter coat and its large inside pocket holds the M17 fine, but once I change to lighter clothes I think it will be to hefty to comfortably (for me) hold it whilst I’m listening. I recently gave my brother the M3X so I’ll get another smaller player to use when out.
Also, I think it’s easy to underestimate the impact of ambient sound when out. Even listening to the M17 when out I was very disappointed in the sound and was questioning my purchase. But when I got home I’d listen again and thankfully it was much, much better. I just think when out in a busy city centre, that sound quality is very adversely affected.
And thinking about it, having that degree of extra power available from DC, of course the dynamics and depth of the sound is going to be a big jump.
Depending on the performance of the HE-6, I’ve been mulling over selling my large desktop gear. I don’t know if it’s a tad unrealistic to expect the M17 even on DC to fully utilise the HE-6. If it doesn’t quite get to that full level I may look into getting hold of a Centrance Ampersand as a means to power my HE-6 to their optimum If I sell my EF-6.

But right now, hearing how good these 700’s sound, I am extremely happy with the M17.
I’ll write more after I’ve used my HD800s and HE-6 with how it does with them. Although others have written that on DC it makes a great partner to the 800s.
Finishing off, it is a little warmer again, but still mild really. Volume at 70.
Thanks for reading.
Be well.

P.s. Even before I’d damaged the leather case, I was already kind of hoping that somebody comes out with a genuine top quality, more substantial and better-fitting leather case, of the sort that could never be bundled with a device. Maybe also fit around the side buttons much more snugly, but just generally something that would be as no-compromise as the player is itself in its construction. I mean it’s great they bundle one and I’m sure it’s enough for most. But ….. am I completely barking up the wrong tree here?!
I have my HD650 paired with M17, even without DC in Over Ear mode this pairing has absolutely beautiful synergie, with wide and deep soundstage and lots of detail. I like it even more than when paired with my Focal Clear and Audeze-X. M17 makes something special with warmer headphones like Sennheiser HD650.

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #2,428 of 5,692
Good to hear; HD650 is another of my headphones that I’ve yet to try, but after reading your comment I will get them out next when I’m listening tonight.
Glad that you’re so happy with your M17 being paired with the 650, when you also have much more costly cans to choose from.

Jan 27, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #2,429 of 5,692

And it’s just blown me away! I can hardly believe the transformation; this is making the HD700’s sing (and yes, I know most folks out there seem to hate the 700 with a passion, but I’ve always loved them) like almost never before. They’ve alway. My HD820’s sound fabulous s sounded fantastic out of my HDVA600, but I don’t exactly recall ever feeling this degree of muscularity and control. It is wonderful to hear.
Even though I don’t think aretty toasty with the HD820’s at around 70/120mvolume after a ets pround teh how unit case is loose so that air can circulate e other ‘phones I’ve tried don’t necessarily need the DC power, I’m interested to now see how they sound with it.

Other thoughts:
When I started listening the battery was at 20% and it still is; hasn’t decreased of raised even a percent, even though it says Charging on the screen. So I don’t know what’s happening - is the headphone using so much power that the charreally improves cooling as the naked unit takes longer to cool down ge can’t raise? It isn’t lowering so at the least it’s maintaining its level. We’ll see if it changes.

Thanks for reading.
Be well.

Sorry to hear of your misadventures.
Still, happy to read you are enjoying the M17 in DC mode. I look forwards to your musings in regards to the HD’s 800’s. My HD820’s sound fabulous, even in battery mode.
The leather case has a loose fitting so that air can circulate around the whole unit and thus, improve cooling. My M17 at 70/120 volume setting, gets pretty toasty after 30-40 minutes of continuous listening. In battery mode, it gets quite hot with the HD’s 820 at volume 80/120.
The battery charges in DC mode albeit, very slowly. Specially if you have activated keep awake while in charging mode (screen is on all the time). Also, it depends on how big a load is driving and of course, volume setting, Bluetooth, wake with double tap and, other apps that may be running in the background. With the HD820’s at volume 70, screen, bluetooth, and double tap off, mine charges at about 8-10% an hour.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #2,430 of 5,692
Want to give a little love to the HD800s on the M17. I've been listening to this combo this morning - mostly ambient (Tangerine Dream esp) but also classical (Mahler) - and I'm besotted with the result. Even on battery mode, the pairing is excellent - dynamic, engaging, musical, supremely detailed without being fatiguing. On DC/Enhanced Mode, it's another story - the M17 seems to easily rival several desktop options in terms of driving the M17, and driving them to their full potential. I find the M17's linear but smooth timbre pairs exceptionally well with headphones that are on the brighter/neutral side. In addition, I'm actually amazed how much headroom is spare on this combo, as I seldom pass 50 or 60 out of 120 even when listening to fairly quiet music (i.e., ambient).

Along with the Meze Liric, the HD800s are my go-to headphones for the M17 and well worth the price of admission for this pairing alone.

P1100838.jpgP1100842.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back