[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jan 27, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #2,446 of 5,690
The m17 don't sound like Sabre chip, I had the 220max and I could not listen to it for more than half an hour, then I had the 300max,much better, now I have the m17 and the sp2000 copper that is more smooth and warm side and I can say that the m17 tone is much more on the sp2000 side than in the 220max side

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #2,447 of 5,690
I have tested some other players from Google Play Store and I found that the music is represented a bit different with each of them (HiBy music, Foobar2000, Neutron, UAPP). I've found out that the FiiO Music native app is not always winning for my taste of music representation :)

Another thing that was bothering me - "gesture system navigation", until I found an option in global settings menu how to enable "3 button navigation" to go back from any menu and switch between apps.

"Automatically search for album art online" in FiiO Music app settings does not always work correctly. For example it found very strange cover for the "Queen - A Kind of Magic" album. :) :) :)
That little pony album art - I think Freddie would approve - :sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #2,448 of 5,690
The m17 don't sound like Sabre chip, I had the 220max and I could not listen to it for more than half an hour, then I had the 300max,much better, now I have the m17 and the sp2000 copper that is more smooth and warm side and I can say that the m17 tone is much more on the sp2000 side than in the 220max side
I agree, the desktop class ES9038pro sound signature is far removed from the harshness lower rank “mobile” units produce.
For instance, I own both the Dual ESS Saber 9018K2M Novafidelity X45 and, the Dual ESS Saber 9038 Pro X45 Pro. Both are desktop class but, the Pro version while being somewhat neutral, it is definitely warmer and smother than the standard version.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #2,449 of 5,690
That's a question of taste in terms of timbre and tonality, but certainly in terms of resolution, layering, imaging, detail, etc, I felt that I was stepping down with the Morpheus. Morpheus was very sleepy in comparison.

But again, no right and wrong, and no great mystery - different sources appeal to different tastes.
If you use only if USB input with Morpheus then ok.

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #2,451 of 5,690
I agree, the desktop class ES9038pro sound signature is far removed from the harshness lower rank “mobile” units produce.
Yes, my Sabaj D5 350€ desktop unit with ess9038pro sounds "warmer" with better bass and wider soundstage, but the M17 has a bit better resolution and dynamics. Of course these are different devices with different amp systems.

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #2,452 of 5,690
For instance, I own both the Dual ESS Saber 9018K2M Novafidelity X45 and, the Dual ESS Saber 9038 Pro X45 Pro. The Pro version while being somewhat neutral, it is definitely warmer and smother than the standard version.
Same with the ES9038Q2M in the Cayin E02 module. Yes, I can see how that could be described as aggressive and biting, but it has nothing in common with the Pro model aside from being made by the same manufacturer.

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #2,453 of 5,690

... that will become interesting ...

I am mainly loving the sound of my Ibassos (w Sabres).

Also owning the 220 Max, I am preferring the sound of the DX200/ DX220 with Amp8/ AMP4s over it … but that’s another story … , - after reading in this Thread for hours, I ordered the M17 some days ago, hoping on a tonal and functional upgrade, …. my order is already on its way, probably arriving already end of this week …

Can’t wait to compare the M17 to the Ibassos …

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #2,455 of 5,690
... that will become interesting ...

I am mainly loving the sound of my Ibassos (w Sabres).

Also owning the 220 Max, I am preferring the sound of the DX200/ DX220 with Amp8/ AMP4s over it … but that’s another story … , - after reading in this Thread for hours, I ordered the M17 some days ago, hoping on a tonal and functional upgrade, …. my order is already on its way, probably arriving already end of this week …

Can’t wait to compare the M17 to the Ibassos …
Please, let us know your impressions after comparing them! :)

Jan 27, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #2,457 of 5,690
Received my XLR 4 PIN to 4.4mm Balanced cable. Connected my LCD-5 to the M17 via DC Direct and listening via Enhanced Over Ear mode.... Wow!!! Love it so far... no EQ needed as of yet for me.

Attachments

• 20220127_131608.jpg
    20220127_131608.jpg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 0
Jan 27, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #2,458 of 5,690
I heard the M17 at lenght over the last weekend and I'm happy to share that it was a nice experience overall.

Okay so first thing's first: The M17 is not "analytical"/sharp/technical/bright sounding at all; either on battery or DC mode. If anyone finds it's presentation to be bright or analytical; I don't know what to say to ya😅

• I would characterise the sound as Neutral-warm (Warmth on battery> warmth on DC).

• Detail levels are very good on battery and almost desktop grade on DC

• The DAP is quite flexible in terms of power output and there are a plethora of output configurations to choose from. With the right setting you can listen to a wide variety of IEMs/Headphones on this. I think this is the most important feature of the M17. It's the swiss army knife of audio equipment.

• Timbre and tonality is very good. Although it may not be as organic as say the LP6 Ti; it's still tuned very well and there's nothing offensive with its presentation. "Neutrality" is the key word here. I would take this type of sound over something like the M30's/Cayin N8's tuning; not saying that they're bad but the M17 is relatively more versatile in terms of pairing.

• The DC Mode is superior to the battery mode in every way (duh); so-much-so that it's worth carrying a power bank/dc source with you if you're out and about and want to listen to full sized headphones (high Z ones anyway).

• Overall the M17 is a very good performer. It may not be the last word in SQ from a portable but there are not many devices (in this form factor for sure) that are capable of so many things and that sound as good as the M17 does.
If you listen to a wide variety of music and want an all-in-one device for home and work; especially one that's relatively easy to carry, I can't recommend the M17 enough.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back