[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jan 28, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #2,476 of 5,690
Just bought myself a new Sandisk ultra micro sd card 516GB(120mb/s) and quickly installed it to my M17, but i notice there is a tiny second of lag every time when turning on the M17, the good thing is it only happens of the first song. It's back to "Gapless/Lagless" after it played the first song and jumping into the second and so on.
So the question is, is my sd card write and read speed too slow for hi-res music or there are some problems with my M17? I really hope the next firmware update can improve this though.

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #2,477 of 5,690
As I have previously said to iFi. Hearing is a sense we all experience in a different way. Ear shape, (both outer cartilage and inner canal), together with hearing damage and frequencies sensibilities, (among a plethora of variables) influences how any individual perceives sound.
So, what one person finds is good for a particular genere, for another is the complete opposite.
No one is right or wrong.
Now, the real tricky part of using reviews as a guide for posible purchases, is finding the reviewer that has similar sound perception to yours… only then can you trust that, what he is describing, will be very close to what you will experience
So, without going into more details that what I have already stated. At this price range, the FH9 is a fantastic IEM that has very good synergy with the M17 and I have no trouble recommending it.
Yes, but that is not really what I am saying. The bass is somehow for many here on Head-fi the most defining factor, but its relation to especially the mids and overall balance is overlooked. And when I say bass, it is mostly the midbass.

Of course perception changes based on the anatomy, affected even by the air pressure or how tired the ears are. But when you just say "very punchy, so suitable for such and such genres only", you are ignoring the rest of the overall balance - I am not even considering how different the recordings could be in the same genre, like "Eye of the Beholder" and "To the Stars", both from Chick Corea band but there is substantial difference between the productions although they belong to same genre and artists.

Anyway, that is a long discussion and this is my last post on it.

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #2,478 of 5,690
Yes, but that is not really what I am saying. The bass is somehow for many here on Head-fi the most defining factor, but its relation to especially the mids and overall balance is overlooked. And when I say bass, it is mostly the midbass.

Of course perception changes based on the anatomy, affected even by the air pressure or how tired the ears are. But when you just say "very punchy, so suitable for such and such genres only", you are ignoring the rest of the overall balance - I am not even considering how different the recordings could be in the same genre, like "Eye of the Beholder" and "To the Stars", both from Chick Corea band but there is substantial difference between the productions although they belong to same genre and artists.

Anyway, that is a long discussion and this is my last post on it.
I did say to my ears and, emphasized the point with the post you are quoting.
I have owned them for over two weeks and, have been using them for 3-4 hours a day. So, my opinion is based on my own experience.
I can see your perceptions are different to mine, and that's perfectly fine.

Can they be used for classical and Jazz? The answer is a resounding yes. But, I prefer other headphones that I find are vastly superior for those genres.
It's also a matter of personal taste and preference.
Like I said, no one is right or wrong.
But we digress from the M17 subject matter discussed in this thread.

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #2,481 of 5,690
Over the last 24 hours, the sound of the M17 has changed from quite sharp, dry, not very musical, to a fairly smooth, slightly warm, musical, very good sound. Witchcraft?
Brain burn in first, device smoothing out second. Same was with me, now the more I listen to it, the harder it is to stop. For some reason when the device heats up like the sound gets little warmer too.

Jan 28, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #2,482 of 5,690
Brain burn in first, device smoothing out second. Same was with me, now the more I listen to it, the harder it is to stop. For some reason when the device heats up like the sound gets little warmer too.
For some audio devices that actually works. I mean after the first 30 minutes of playing music, some devices warm up and reveal sound better. I don't know if burn-in will be really beneficial for M17 :) hope that it is :)

There are also some other factors that the M17 will benefit from - like really high quality music. I was listening today to some high quality DSD and flac24bit recordings and experienced that the M17 really benefits a lot from good quality recordings. Yes, I agree that at the first time it sounded to me like a little too sharp and too dry, not very musical, like I was lacking some kind of soul and specific atmosphere in the recordings. But on the other hand I have found that this player has a very good resolution and dynamics, and it depens a lot of quality recordings to get the full experience of sound with M17.

Attachments

• 20220128_141434.jpg
    20220128_141434.jpg
    957.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220128_125213.jpg
    20220128_125213.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220128_145522.jpg
    20220128_145522.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #2,483 of 5,690
I have the same problem :D I think you can "reset database" in the FiiO Music menu, this should help.

I have some suggestions for the FiiO Music app improvement :)

• Would be great if there would be a possibility to split an option in FiiO Music settings menu to search for "song lyrics" and "song cover" separately, instead of one option called "search for song lyrics and cover online".

• Another thing is that not all my album covers are being displayed when playing music, somehow FiiO Music does not find them in the album subfolders in png. or jpg. formats, so would be great to make a possibility to choose each album art manually from each folder, instead of searching online, because online search brings wrong covers for the most of time.

• Sometimes lyrics does not match the song timeline correctly and sometimes FiiO music brings missmatched lyrics for the song being played.

• Also would be nice to add some more variety of skins for the FiiO Music player, to choose from "themes menu" or to download via FiiO Store app.

I hope all these things will be solved and improved in the next FiiO Music app update 3.1.0 :)
Thanks for the tip, I’m gonna check that out (reset the database). Like I said I have no interest in lyrics scrolling across the screen, especially from what I’ve seen they’re either wrong lyrics or out of sync!

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #2,484 of 5,690
I should be receiving my M17 today! Looking forward to it.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #2,486 of 5,690
... mine seams to be stuck somewhere ... trackig says it did not move in the last 24 hours ... so won't be here for the weekend ... :frowning2:

Keep my fingers crossed for you
What carrier? Where did you order from?

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #2,489 of 5,690
btw. while checking for an appropriate headphone for the M17, also as replacement for my T1P 2nd. I found the Sennheiser 800s currently beeing sold for 1.249 EUR (in Germany). I think a good price!?
I have no idea. VAT messes with my concept of pricing. I'm in the US.

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #2,490 of 5,690
thanks.

just checked, there seams not to be an update/ replacement for the 800s announced yet - at least I could not find anything about it ... so I'll give it a try - the comments here in the forum in terms of "perfect" match between M17 and 800s also sound quite promissing (despite one user, who was not really satisfied in Battery mode, if I remember correctly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back