[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 17, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #1,486 of 5,693
When playing apple music i just get blue light so not playing the HR (for specific HR albums)
Is there any way to overcome the android limitation and get HR?
I tried and dropped Apple Music because of the poor android format support, it didn't work with HR when I tried...

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #1,488 of 5,693
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 17, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #1,489 of 5,693
I tried and dropped Apple Music because of the poor android format support, it didn't work with HR when I tried...
Did you try Apple Music on any other Android DAP? Is it something specific to M17?
I'm asking because on both, DX300MAX and R8 i don't have any problem to play HR content. And i plan to buy M17, but support of different streaming services is one of key factors to me..

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,491 of 5,693
Is there a possibility to add a microSD card to this, so we can use this as a chord mojo?
We are not going to make similar products like Mojo+Poly 。

Hi, I'd like to revisit this idea of a stripped down M17 without the SoC and screen. I can't find the previous posts I'm looking for regarding that here (other than the one above), so I'm guessing that will be called the Q9 and they were all moved to that thread? But I dont find the original "product idea" post(s) there either, just the visual design. (?)

But regardless of that, here is my most important point. Will it have a microSD / mSD slot? I gather the Q9 wont. I would like to beg you to add keep it:

- I dont stream. Never will. I have 1.3Tb of the music I want. I won't pay again for somenservice to retransmit it to me. If I hear something on the radio or amazon music I like, I buy it in the highest bitrate available. So, I need a mSD slot in my DAP.

- all the phones I want to buy from here removed the microsd card slot. That limits how much music can be put onto the phone. I will not ever return to the "pain in the rear" days if swappingmusic off and onto the phone. I want music player to have my whole library of music on it (I compress lossless music I dont listen to often to lossy so that my 1.3tb fits onto a 1tb msd.). So, my music player MUST a micro sd slot.

- the highest bitrate/ quality LDAC is over hyped. In my experience it has horrible range, of only inches, not feet, lest the music stutter and break up. You put too much confidence in believing high bitrate lossless music can be streamed from phone to Q9 and maintain losslessness.

Please maintain M17's microsd slot. The idea of the stripped down M17 without screen is something I would be interested in, but ONLY with microsd slot. Wouldnt I be able to use FIIOMusic on my phone and control FIIOMusic on the Q9 and play the music off the local library? That is my ideal. (And all I would use a Mojo/Poly for, if I were to add a Poly to my Mojo.)

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,492 of 5,693
The Story of FiiO M17-From @JamesFiiO

Link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-story-of-fiio-m17-from-fiio-james.960565/

Chapter 4-1 How about a cost-effective transformation of the M17?
--Portable desktop-class DAC/Amp Q9

Feedback from users after the release of the M17 is ideal. However, it is true that the price is quite high, especially at this moment when the market environment and economic conditions are not so good. To prove this point, I also did a small survey, inviting Chinese users to participate in it. The survey results showed that more than 42% of users thought that price is the biggest obstacle for them to purchase the M17. Secondly, 26% of users thought that the M17 is too big and heavy.
For users who think the M17 is too big and heavy, I believe they have other choices, such as the M11 Plus, M15, and even small USB DAC and amplifiers ( like the BTR5). But for sure, from the current technical conditions, there are no other alternatives that can compete with the M17 which has strong functions, driven capacity and rich connectors. Because whether by size or weight, the M17 has basically the highest power density among portable music players with such a high-driven capacity at present.
For those who think the price of the M17 is too high, I was thinking if I could do something for them. From the product itself, the highest cost of the M17 is the SoC module, followed by 2 ES9038PRO modules, and then the all-CNC integrated aluminum alloy shell, followed by a display screen and so on.
Can we simplify the M17 by giving up the processor and display screen for users? Anyway, we have smartphones, tablets, laptops, computers and other desktop devices for extra connections.
We can replace the Qualcomm 660 SoC with a single-chip module, and the display screen with a small one (or get it away). The price of the ES9038PRO is still rising. If we give up the SoC module, we can save more space to strengthen the power supply, ensuring the same sound quality as the M17's. As a result, the final price can be set to within 1000 USD.
Will you be interested in such a DAC/Amp?
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Okay, my mistake. This is the post I was looking for. But it was from username @FiiO, not @JamesFiiO .

Anyways, that product idea would be a winner to me and an easy buy... But I would mandate it to have a microsd car slot.

A non-ideal alternative [hack] would be a 1Tb flashdrive plugged into the usb (with a short pigtail cable and flash drive held tight to the Q9 with a band and not hanging off at the usb connection). That would also come with the need that the music be able to be read and played from the flash drive via remote FiioMusic controlled from the phone.

But,I gather, this is the very thing you want to avoid?

@FiiO @jamefiio ... thank you for listening. I hope you revise your previous position on the matter.

P.s. I do own an M6 too. I stream to other more powerful dacs with wired usb-c streaming. I know I could do that to this proposed product too. But if instead this were to have a mSD card slot, it would bring the product to a whole other level of usability when playback is lossless (no wires).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #1,493 of 5,693
Did you try Apple Music on any other Android DAP? Is it something specific to M17?
I'm asking because on both, DX300MAX and R8 i don't have any problem to play HR content. And i plan to buy M17, but support of different streaming services is one of key factors to me..
Wondering this as well. I just ordered one and I don't wanna have to send it back because this device seems super neat.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,494 of 5,693
Didn't work for me a couple of month ago on DX300 nor did it on M8.
Didn't try again with M17 but I don't see why it would work differently from one android device to another...
I'll check RS6 and M17.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #1,495 of 5,693
Didn't work for me a couple of month ago on DX300 nor did it on M8.
Didn't try again with M17 but I don't see why it would work differently from one android device to another...
I'll check RS6 and M17.
It started to work for me immediately after Apple Music beta build released in June. But it has only basic settings configuration, just to select different quality setting for cellular and Wi-Fi and for download. But nothing specific I did.

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,496 of 5,693
Apple music works fine on Ibasso daps,Hiby Daps since day one, doesn't work on the Fiio m11, m11pro, or m15 works on the m11+

Dec 17, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,499 of 5,693
hi everyone, is the difference that big using the m17 connected to mains for iems needed versus regular mode, or is it more for headphones.

if it is, would the difference be like from average sound to great sound

Dec 17, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,500 of 5,693
I have a big problem with MQA files. Playing MQA via Tidal displays a blue light and there is no MQA sign to be seen in the statusbar.

I can, however, play downloaded MQA in correct format via UAPP.

@JamesFiiO some assistance here would be great!
I own a Fiio M17 and 64 Audio U12T for a few days. And I couldn't get MQA playing through Tidal.
You need to turn off the 'Loudness normalization' setting in the Tidal app. Only then did it work properly for me. Do more people want to test this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back