[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 14, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,411 of 5,692
I just sold M8 but had it for a good long while. What M8 and M17 share is bass are powerful, just M17 takes this even further than M8 which is something to behold and aside from nice desktop setup I have had the pleasure to audition like Pro iCAN I have never had this kind of experience from a DAP.

I wouldn't say M17 is more analytical - to me it's just as rich and smooth sounding a unit as M8 - but overall it's a more balanced listen (once the unit is burnt in) and with snappier note attack and faster decay it's a less "romantic" presentation if you will. Also M17 has a much bigger sized instruments and a bolder midrange which is more foward and with more bite than M8. M8 has more treble presence overall especially the upper section. Last but not least stage is bigger on M17, quite significantly...

Well it really depends what you're looking for... more resolving sure, I for one don't like Hugo 2 just like I didn't like DX220 Max....
M17 is such a different philosophy anyway... not the same brand of sound.
So it depends on your preferences or if for you pure technicality is the priority.
How long would you say it takes the M17 to be burned in fully?

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,412 of 5,692
How long would you say it takes the M17 to be burned in fully?
I don't know where it'll stop but after 72 hours burn in in desktop mode it settled nicely
Since then it would be more minute stuff but I didn't pick up the M17 every 4 hours to check either...

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #1,414 of 5,692
I just sold M8 but had it for a good long while. What M8 and M17 share is bass are powerful, just M17 takes this even further than M8 which is something to behold and aside from nice desktop setup I have had the pleasure to audition like Pro iCAN I have never had this kind of experience from a DAP.

I wouldn't say M17 is more analytical - to me it's just as rich and smooth sounding a unit as M8 - but overall it's a more balanced listen (once the unit is burnt in) and with snappier note attack and faster decay it's a less "romantic" presentation if you will. Also M17 has a much bigger sized instruments and a bolder midrange which is more foward and with more bite than M8. M8 has more treble presence overall especially the upper section. Last but not least stage is bigger on M17, quite significantly...

Well it really depends what you're looking for... more resolving sure, I for one don't like Hugo 2 just like I didn't like DX220 Max....
M17 is such a different philosophy anyway... not the same brand of sound.
So it depends on your preferences or if for you pure technicality is the priority.
THX mobile and desktop amps aren't known to be bass heavy,just clean clear sound,how you manage to get Bass heavy without EQ ing something in the chain?

Dec 15, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #1,415 of 5,692
THX mobile and desktop amps aren't known to be bass heavy,just clean clear sound,how you manage to get Bass heavy without EQ ing something in the chain?
I have a different experience; THX mobile/desktop amps are not bass heavy by default, but they can certainly be when music requires it. That's what I like about THX amplification, their ability to present awesome low-end but only when the music requires it (as in; it's recorded that way). If music was recorded flat/cold, you'll get a very flat and cold presentation back from the THX amps in my experience.

regards

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,416 of 5,692
Just received my M17 in the post. First impressions on Focal Utopias plugged into DC in Enhanced Mode - OMG !!!!!!!!

That's all I can say about this device. I am speechless. I never dreamed it would be this good.

Resolving, clear, detailed, everything just sings in a perfect balanced way.

Massive thanks to @zen87192 who put me onto this and was kind enough to show me his on a recent hook up.

And also massive thanks to @FiiO for making this wonderful piece of art. It really is as good as everyone is making it out to be.

Will post some pictures later once I can pull these cans off my head :jecklinsmile:

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #1,418 of 5,692
Yup… thought that would happen my friend! Congratulations on your acquisition of an M17… a fairly rare treat currently to obtain one of these this side of 2021. Fantastic news on the synergy and matching with the Focal Utopia’s. Now you’ve place me in a predicament…. time for me to invest in a pair of Utopia’s 😨

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,419 of 5,692
Just received my M17 in the post. First impressions on Focal Utopias plugged into DC in Enhanced Mode - OMG !!!!!!!!

That's all I can say about this device. I am speechless. I never dreamed it would be this good.

Massive thanks to @zen87192 who put me onto this and was kind enough to show me his on a recent hook up.

And also massive thanks to @FiiO for making this wonderful piece of art. It really is as good as everyone is making it out to be.

Will post some pictures later once I can pull these cans off my head :jecklinsmile:
I can see you have the Topping stack
How does it compares with the M17?
Cheers

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,420 of 5,692
Try those Mest MK2’s in the M17….. bliss…

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #1,421 of 5,692

Dang, getting pumped now.

Screenshot 2021-12-15 141943.png

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #1,423 of 5,692
Yup… thought that would happen my friend! Congratulations on your acquisition of an M17… a fairly rare treat currently to obtain one of these this side of 2021. Fantastic news on the synergy and matching with the Focal Utopia’s. Now you’ve place me in a predicament…. time for me to invest in a pair of Utopia’s 😨

Yes and you were right buddy. I was lucky. NpAudio had 2 that came in and I just happen to browse the site on the same day.

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #1,424 of 5,692
I can see you have the Topping stack
How does it compares with the M17?
Cheers

To be honest, The M17 when plugged in to mains and running in enhanced mode is on par with the Topping with my style of music (EDM, ROCK) and my ears.

Hence why I'm selling the Topping gear and replacing with the M17 for both desktop and portable as a fit all solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back