[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 5, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,171 of 5,693
Had a quick listening session with M17,
I tested Hifiman R10D, Abyss Diana V2, U12T and Legend X.
My quick impression about it? it’s a desktop rigs on the go, just imagine topping d90/se with A90 on portable form factor,
it can drive virtually anything (prob not Susvara) with ease. I personally prefer RS6 sound sigs over M17, but if i would sell all my desktop setup, i would probably get this to replace it without hesitation.

Attachments

• 11326F30-A9B7-4A5F-A5A2-E51AF3635891.jpeg
    11326F30-A9B7-4A5F-A5A2-E51AF3635891.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,173 of 5,693
Whoa... you run your Mests in Enhanced Over the Ear mode and the volume range can get low enough to listen comfortably?
No problems. Volume is very acceptable and not loud to blow one's ears off. It brings out the best in Mest! Give it a go. Just remember to start off at zero volume and increase to your desired limit.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #1,175 of 5,693
How is battery life of M17? Did you try pure music mode, can you compare it to Mango OS of MAX3? :)
Didn't try pure mode yet, but so far battery is pretty good but when I use the over ear mode (max gain on battery) at 2/3rd volume and all to DSD it takes a bit of a hit... overall I'd say it's quite consistent with the figures posted by FiiO 8/10h is realistic with stuff that needs a lot of juice, on mid gain I haven't measured but I'd bet on over 10h easy...

One thing that annoyed me with DX220 Max was digital battery always ran out before the analog so in real world use was not that impressive...

Note that M17 supports QC 4.0, not as cool as QC 5.0 but you'd need a more power hungry SoC to support that, but it does have security benefits over the QC 3.0 norm of most modern DAPs. Main difference with 3.0 is INOV (Intelligent Negotiation of Optimum Voltage) which improves security and 20% faster charge, 30% more efficient than previous generation.

It also supports Power Delivery 3.0
I didn't time it but charging is even faster with Power Delivery charger.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,176 of 5,693
Didn't try pure mode yet, but so far battery is pretty good but when I use the over ear mode (max gain on battery) at 2/3rd volume and all to DSD it takes a bit of a hit... overall I'd say it's quite consistent with the figures posted by FiiO 8/10h is realistic with stuff that needs a lot of juice, on mid gain I haven't measured but I'd bet on over 10h easy...

One thing that annoyed me with DX220 Max was digital battery always ran out before the analog so in real world use was not that impressive...

Note that M17 supports QC 4.0, not as cool as QC 5.0 but you'd need a more power hungry SoC to support that, but it does have security benefits over the QC 3.0 norm of most modern DAPs. Main difference with 3.0 is INOV (Intelligent Negotiation of Optimum Voltage) which improves security and 20% faster charge, 30% more efficient than previous generation.

It also supports Power Delivery 3.0
I didn't time it but charging is even faster with Power Delivery charger.
It will be interesting to hear about your experience with Pure mode.
Other question: did you play with different filters? Do they make significant difference to the sound when you are rolling them?

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #1,177 of 5,693
i wonder how m17 would be with both sony ier z1r and more so with u12t, anyone can chime in please, the reason i ask is cause sony hads recessed mids and u12t somehow could be perceived with some sources a bit dark, so I really wonder how m17 would synergize with those 2 items

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,178 of 5,693
I bought the M17 from Amazon because i can return it without any issues. I was not expecting to keep the M17 to be honest and i am currently using the Hiby R8 with the Bird.
Well, the R8 will be listed very soon.
Absolutely phenomenal pairing with the Bird with a Black background.
PM me if you are interested in the Special Edition R8 with the upgraded packaging.

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #1,180 of 5,693
@FiiO
Is the M17 ready for future? I mean, ready for Android 11 (incl. security patches for example) or higher, ready for new codecs etc. pp. ?

I've never seen any Android upgrades on my DAP. Is it something common ?

At least, the DC input makes it more future proof than any other DAP using battery only.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #1,181 of 5,693
I never paid 2000 Euro for an Android device. :wink: ...in my mind an important question. Remember, all the great manufact. of phones offer Android for more than one major release (european agreement for min. 5 years of support!). In this case, the FiiO devices are out of european rights / laws!

Another question: Can I add a third party app to the multifunction button? I read the manual but it seems only the FiiO app is affected by this button?

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #1,182 of 5,693
I bought the M17 from Amazon because i can return it without any issues. I was not expecting to keep the M17 to be honest and i am currently using the Hiby R8 with the Bird.
Well, the R8 will be listed very soon.
Absolutely phenomenal pairing with the Bird with a Black background.
PM me if you are interested in the Special Edition R8 with the upgraded packaging.
You might want to check that,some things you can return without issues,some things are going to cost you dearly to return, Amazon ain't like the old Amazon anymore.Read the return policy of everything you buy from Amazon especially if it's a high priced item.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #1,184 of 5,693
You might want to check that,some things you can return without issues,some things are going to cost you dearly to return, Amazon ain't like the old Amazon anymore.Read the return policy of everything you buy from Amazon especially if it's a high priced item.
Thanks for the heads up!
it was Amazon Prime and i made sure about the return policy before i purchased.
But like i mentioned, I don’t think the M17 is going anywhere :)

Dec 5, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #1,185 of 5,693
Yes, it is subtle but once you hear it, you can’t ignore it.
Fiio has sent me a PM.
They want to know.
1. What is your headset model?
2. Which output mode do you use?
3. Which gain mode do you use?.
With mine, I can hear it regardless of Headphone, Gain mode and with both, Battery and DC power.
Let me know the answer to those questions and I’ll pas them on to Fiio.
I have only had my unit a couple of days, but regardless I have not heard the crackling noise. From reading the other posts, it does seem to be a rather common issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back