[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 4, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #1,156 of 5,703
So I have been playing with All to DSD A/B'ing on and off for quite a while and I must say it reminds me of my former LPGT, the M17 is more nuanced... and in the case of M17 less forward : you loose a bit of bass power and energy but mids are even smoother and the upper range is more refined to my ears. Despite the battery drain and heat I think I am going to run it that way from now on it's really one step up to me.

As the unit burns in, I also noticed thing settling in nicely and I can't wait for a couple of weeks to go by so that I see where things will land but again, this is a unique DAP with a special sounding bass and midrange... I am wowed!

Edit : the Tidal issue not unfolding I reported earlier is not related to M17, my RS6 does the same so it's on Tidal's end (it worked previously)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #1,157 of 5,703
So I have spent two days listening extensively to the M17, yesterday I picked the RS6 with the Elysium and... such a contrast! I would never have said the RS6 was thin or bright (it's quite a meatier take of Cayin R01), but listening just right after a M17 session it was really shocking... I felt like listening to the N6ii Ti, brighter, leaner and yes more treble presence with more refinement and separation and harmonics.

But man oh man, this incredibly meaty sound with full mids and powerful bass from the M17 is so addictive to my ears... and I have tried RS6 with C9 two days ago even amp'ed it didn't deliver this brand of sound... but I see how coming from another DAP to M17 can strike as having treble shortcomings but I don't find M17 lacking too much clarity either it's just "pushed back" in the presentation. It matches so well the Elysium though at least for my taste...

I think my ears are very sensitive to treble and aside from the fact I have quite sensitive hearing I think it explains why I am a low volume listener. We rarely talk listening levels but it influences so much how we sometimes hear different things. I had so many discussions with @lafeuill about this because he listens quite loud and sometimes he found IEMs harsh while I didn't so aside from personal sensitivities volume level sure explain : I pushed the volume and realized why he felt the way he did.

Why am I raising the issue? Well after some A/B with RS6 I realized M17 is the only source where I push the volume quite a bit more, I need to pick up a meter to check by how much I do this but I'd say around 15/20% louder and I believe that due to its sonic profile and also the amp section headroom.

If you've heard of the Fletcher Munson curve which most of us have then it has a big impact on how we hear things :
  • At low listening volumes – mid range frequencies sound more prominent, while the low and high frequency ranges seem to fall into the background.
  • At high listening volumes – the lows and highs sound more prominent, while the mid range seems comparatively softer.
Given how the M17 sounds, listening at a higher volume works superbly because the mids are bold and as @Deezel177 said instruments size is big and they sound meaty, and of course the bass response is so tactile, powerful and addictive that you just want to push the volume... not to mention the treble that needs some volume as well.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #1,158 of 5,703
I still didn't receive my M17 sample, so I can't confirm the bad news I have read yesterday about the level of juice the M17 can really provide (even plugged to 12v/3a charger) => It seems real life results are quite far behind what some modest amps like topping a90 can provide for a DCA Stealth or, I think, a HEDDphone One....

I can't find the post talking about those theoretical figures (A90, Less Bx2+, Hugo 2, ...) .. I really hoped the M17 would be the reference to provide enough juice to drive as their best, my two favorites Headphones. :sob::sob::sob::sob:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #1,160 of 5,703
Any hiss or interferrence of wifi antena with Mest Mk2? What about sybergy?
It is spot on.. almost as though M17 was designed around the Mest MK2. No hiss. Black background. Whenever I listen via SD Card I turn off WiFi but the short time switching between I didn't hear any anomalies. Deep Bass and gorgeous Trebles coming through. Wonderful separation and soundstage.

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #1,161 of 5,703
It is spot on.. almost as though M17 was designed around the Mest MK2. No hiss. Black background. Whenever I listen via SD Card I turn off WiFi but the short time switching between I didn't hear any anomalies. Deep Bass and gorgeous Trebles coming through. Wonderful separation and soundstage.
Since you have dx300max and m17, may I ask you which one has a bigger stage,M17 or dx300 max?Thank you

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #1,163 of 5,703
Since you have dx300max and m17, may I ask you which one has a bigger stage,M17 or dx300 max?Thank you
M17 and DX300MAX SS are just about the same soundstage. The DX300MAX Ti though is a different story. Because of the new Caps and upgrades internally of the Ti it offers a bigger and wider soundstage. Although not a massive difference to justify the price.
Treble on the M17 is just that tiny bit less sharp than the DX300MAX SS but once you settle in to the signature of the M17 it becomes clearer as your ears adjust, perhaps, ... with the treble coming through blended in with the mids but noticeable.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #1,164 of 5,703
M17 and DX300MAX SS are just about the same soundstage. The DX300MAX Ti though is a different story. Because of the new Caps and upgrades internally of the Ti it offers a bigger and wider soundstage. Although not a massive difference to justify the price.
Treble on the M17 is just that tiny bit less sharp than the DX300MAX SS but once you settle in to the signature of the M17 it becomes clearer as your ears adjust, perhaps, ... with the treble comeing through blended in with the mids but noticeable.
Thank you for the input

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #1,165 of 5,703
Treble on the M17 is just that tiny bit less sharp than the DX300MAX SS but once you settle in to the signature of the M17 it becomes clearer as your ears adjust, perhaps, ... with the treble coming through blended in with the mids but noticeable.
How about the instrument separation and which one fell more holographic (3D)? Thank you

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,166 of 5,703
Interesting... I'll have to spend more time listening to it with my Mest MK2 CIEMs. I really brought the M17 to drive my full-sized headphones away from the desk and its been great in that role while using the Mests with the LP6000, which sounds pretty awesome as well.

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,167 of 5,703
How about the instrument separation and which one fell more holographic (3D)? Thank you
Holographic champion is DX300MAX Ti but M17 really not that far behind it.
M17 is more holographic than DX300MAX SS.

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #1,168 of 5,703
Interesting... I'll have to spend more time listening to it with my Mest MK2 CIEMs. I really brought the M17 to drive my full-sized headphones away from the desk and its been great in that role while using the Mests with the LP6000, which sounds pretty awesome as well.
Yes. Agreed. Headphones no problem. Wait until you connect your Mest MK2's with DC connection and Enhanced Headphone Mode! 🤯

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #1,169 of 5,703
Yes. Agreed. Headphones no problem. Wait until you connect your Mest MK2's with DC connection! 🤯
Whoa... you run your Mests in Enhanced Over the Ear mode and the volume range can get low enough to listen comfortably?

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #1,170 of 5,703
Holographic champion is DX300MAX Ti but M17 really not that far behind it.
M17 is more holographic than DX300MAX SS.
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back