[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Oct 30, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #706 of 5,693
Please be aware that my enthusiasm for the K9 Pro didn't last. However, i wouldn't draw any conclusions from K9 Pro to M17 anyways as these devices are very different and even my more similarily configured M11 Plus (which i like much more) sounds imo quite a bit different from the K9 Pro.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #707 of 5,693
Please be aware that my enthusiasm for the K9 Pro didn't last. However, i wouldn't draw any conclusions from K9 Pro to M17 anyways as these devices are very different and even my more similarily configured M11 Plus (which i like much more) sounds imo quite a bit different from the K9 Pro.
Thank you for the insights into the differences, and congrats on your M11 Plus :)

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #708 of 5,693
Agreed, one is pure desktop class with proper PSU , VS the M17 as I have been saying previously. I am glad you said it this early, and from personal experiences

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #709 of 5,693
Thank you for the insights into the differences, and congrats on your M11 Plus :)
In the Chinese forums they say M17 is like an improved M11 Plus with a similar tuning. I read somewhere that it is like listening to Studio monitors. My reference is my battery powered ADI-2 DAC. I hope it is close to that.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #710 of 5,693
In the Chinese forums they say M17 is like an improved M11 Plus with a similar tuning. I read somewhere that it is like listening to Studio monitors. My reference is my battery powered ADI-2 DAC. I hope it is close to that.
Having been in a studio or two, I have found that although the board can certainly influence the end result (albeit less so in the digital age), obtaining a “studio monitor sound” is largely dependent on the kind of monitors or headphones used. And that has been my DAC/amp experience as well—and based on your experience I’m sure it has been yours as well! Spectacular headphones can work miracles with a so-so DAP—but crappy cans are going to sound like crap no matter what flagship, $2,500 DAP you pair them with, for what my humble opinion is worth.

That aside, I think studio monitors are terrific for obtaining the uncolored, flat sound necessary for the recording process—but after spending some memorable time with a mastering engineer friend of mine, I’ve found that a little warmth and coloration can sure make the listening experience a lot more fun! ☺️

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #711 of 5,693
That aside, I think studio monitors are terrific for obtaining the uncolored, flat sound necessary for the recording process—but after spending some memorable time with a mastering engineer friend of mine, I’ve found that a little warmth and coloration can sure make the listening experience a lot more fun! ☺️

We call it Harman target :ksc75smile: .. Which can please more or less 50 to 60% of the listeners ... some prefers rather flatter low frequencies like Oratory1990 which produce some PEQ files with such characteristics, like a type of Harman curve with flat low frequencies.
I have no mind to buy an amp or a dap which has a particular sound signature (like tubes), though I already went that way with the DCA Stealth, which has by it's own a 100% Harman curve sound signature.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #712 of 5,693
One of the reason why the common consumers and not “audiophiles” are enjoying a warmer and more colorful signature is actually very scientific. Human as a fetus already have the hearings developed, and during the time in the womb, they hear mostly the muffled sound from the outside world, which is particularly veiled and warmer, and there is mommy heartbeats.

So, the reason why a baby would love a certain genres of music is based on the majority rhythms from mommy heart beats and it rhythms during the pregnancy.

Also heart beats are all about that bass, hence the majority of consumers would love bass, warmth, familiar rhythms and pace, such as pops as a genres.

Another factor also involved is if mommy is an audiophile, and is exposed to live venues , bands, and so on, or having the baby listening to the music through the belly and headphones, then the baby also develop some preferences toward that sound.

What can I say ? Human are a programmable organism life form 🤣.

That is why there are different categories of audio reproductions stuff, like stereos, hifi, references, studio monitors and so on….with each of them are having a specific targeted sound signatures. Most of the time, the majority of audiophiles are enjoying references and or monitor grades stuff. Because most of the time, they enjoy complex music such as orchestra, classical instruments, classical rocks…etc…and are paying attentions to different pitches , notes as a hobby, where as the typical consumers are enjoying the “tunes, and the rhythms” of what can move them , elevate their moods, and makes their day better.

Just keep in mind that we are all music lovers :).

So then, as someone previously mentioned, the M17 is aiming toward studio monitor as a category ? Then shall I expect somewhat in the hi-fi , natural, fast bass responds of it sound signatures ? Just my speculation here. I look toward to user impressions

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #713 of 5,693
One of the reason why the common consumers and not “audiophiles” are enjoying a warmer and more colorful signature is actually very scientific. Human as a fetus already have the hearings developed, and during the time in the womb, they hear mostly the muffled sound from the outside world, which is particularly veiled and warmer, and there is mommy heartbeats.

So, the reason why a baby would love a certain genres of music is based on the majority rhythms from mommy heart beats and it rhythms during the pregnancy.

Also heat beats are all about that bass, hence the majority of consumers would love bass, warmth, familiar rhythms and pace, such as pops as a genres.

Another factor also involved is if mommy is an audiophile, and is exposed to live venues , bands, and so on, or having the baby listening to the music through the belly and headphones, then the baby also develop some preferences toward that sound.

That is some great post Vince! :) Just adding to the "human" programming. Rick Beato made his kid listen to complex music of, for example, Aydin Esen, and says "this is what has happened", he says. Of course, not promoting the app, and I believe his kid was already very gifted.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #714 of 5,693

Also heart beats are all about that bass, hence the majority of consumers would love bass, warmth, familiar rhythms and pace, such as pops as a genres.

That is why there are different categories of audio reproductions stuff, like stereos, hifi, references, studio monitors and so on….with each of them are having a specific targeted sound signatures. Most of the time, the majority of audiophiles are enjoying references and or monitor grades stuff. Because most of the time, they enjoy complex music such as orchestra, classical instruments, classical rocks…etc…and are paying attentions to different pitches , notes as a hobby, where as the typical consumers are enjoying the “tunes, and the rhythms” of what can move them , elevate their moods, and makes their day better.

Just keep in mind that we are all music lovers :).

So then, as someone previously mentioned, the M17 is aiming toward studio monitor as a category ? Then shall I expect somewhat in the hi-fi , natural, fast bass responds of it sound signatures ? Just my speculation here. I look toward to user impressions
I guess I’m one of those common consumers who is also an audiophile, a physician by trade and a musician by passion—and I approach both endeavors with equal parts complex analysis and empathetic warmth.

And I applaud your point that warmth, depth and coloration are encoded in us humans to be pleasurable and reassuring, primarily for its down-to-earth sensibility and sensitivity—but also because you’ve finally given me a metaphor for those who cannot tolerate any form of musical reproduction that isn’t analytical and flat. They’re inhuman! 😉

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #715 of 5,693
We call it Harman target :ksc75smile: .. Which can please more or less 50 to 60% of the listeners ... some prefers rather flatter low frequencies like Oratory1990 which produce some PEQ files with such characteristics, like a type of Harman curve with flat low frequencies.
I have no mind to buy an amp or a dap which has a particular sound signature (like tubes), though I already went that way with the DCA Stealth, which has by it's own a 100% Harman curve sound signature.
Yeah, and I wanna know when the Harman Curve somehow got conflated by some audiophiles with the Disco Smile! There are some nuances between being a “Bass Head” and simply wanting to bring some low-end excitement to open-backed planar headphones ☺️

Oct 31, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #716 of 5,693
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dap-...x-es9038pro-thx-aaa-788-balanced-p-15774.html

1635683252016.png

Nov 1, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #720 of 5,693
@FiiO , @WianFiiO ... any plans to attend CanJam NYC early in 2022, with the M17 on display for audition? Thanx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back